Verizon upgrades are now same length as contract!

John Fin

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I was shocked to find that Verizon lengthened any upgrades that where past September to the length of the contract. Now have to wait another 6 months to upgrade!
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I hear ya'. Between this, their late updates and lack of new devices, I'm ready to bail on big red. I have an upgrade now, but I really want the HTC One. Am I crazy for wanting to ditch unlimited data for a phone?!?

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya'. Between this, their late updates and lack of new devices, I'm ready to bail on big red. I have an upgrade now, but I really want the HTC One. Am I crazy for wanting to ditch unlimited data for a phone?!?

Depends on how much data you use. My wife and I share 6 GB and haven't come close to going over. It's actually cheaper. Of course she stays at home and I work where there is wifi. Just depends on your usage, as it should.

From my Galaxy Note 2

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I just found this out the other night on their website. Kind of makes me mad. I've been looking into other carriers since I want a GN 2. Only thing is, even though they get me mad, they are dependable for getting service and actually are cheaper than the other carriers for the package I have, even T mobile. It sucks, because I don't want to make a mistake by leaving them and not getting dependable service.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

John Fin

May 9, 2013
Visit site
The only problem I have with leaving them is they are the only ones with 4GLTE all up and down the front range in Colorado, makes a big difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was shocked to find that Verizon lengthened any upgrades that where past September to the length of the contract. Now have to wait another 6 months to upgrade!
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

It was lengthened 4 months

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

John Fin

May 9, 2013
Visit site
That's not the point, they shouldn't have never changed existing contracts, I think I'll just buy phones from eBay and let my contracts run out. I have 2 upgrades this month but don't think I will use them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
The answer lies in your usage habits. Do you really need unlimited data? How much do you use? How is T-mobile or Sprint's high speed coverage in your area? I went to a local Verizon store and an employee there told me straight up that Verizon was never getting the One, because apparently HTC won't put it on Verizon. Granted, store employees know less than we do here for the most part, but take it for what it's worth.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The answer lies in your usage habits. Do you really need unlimited data? How much do you use? How is T-mobile or Sprint's high speed coverage in your area? I went to a local Verizon store and an employee there told me straight up that Verizon was never getting the One, because apparently HTC won't put it on Verizon. Granted, store employees know less than we do here for the most part, but take it for what it's worth.

I rarely go over 2GB per month, so I really don't need unlmtd. But it's still nice knowing it's there - just in case.

Not sure how much stock I'd put in that store employee... What possible reason could HTC have for not wanting to be on Verizon? Their job is to sell phones. If Verizon wanted to buy it, I'm sure HTC would have sold it to them.

Truth is, Verizon probably didn't want to carry the One because they would be stuck with a crap load of DNA's that no one would want to buy. Or they agreed to some variant of the One or DNA+/2 later this summer.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

If you take the upgrade, you lose unlimited anyway

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
If you take the upgrade, you lose unlimited anyway

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

My wife and daughter are on a family plan. I thought there was a way to transfer the upgrade to one of their lines and keep unlmtd on mine?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife and daughter are on a family plan. I thought there was a way to transfer the upgrade to one of their lines and keep unlmtd on mine?

Correct. You have to transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line to a non unlimited line and activate it on the non unlimited line. Then you can move the phone wherever or sell it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I rarely go over 2GB per month, so I really don't need unlmtd. But it's still nice knowing it's there - just in case.

Not sure how much stock I'd put in that store employee... What possible reason could HTC have for not wanting to be on Verizon? Their job is to sell phones. If Verizon wanted to buy it, I'm sure HTC would have sold it to them.

Truth is, Verizon probably didn't want to carry the One because they would be stuck with a crap load of DNA's that no one would want to buy. Or they agreed to some variant of the One or DNA+/2 later this summer.

I think the second half is more like it. Htc already has the one on sprint. Making the Verizon version would be not that difficult. More likely, it was Verizon who wanted exclusively. Kinda like how Verizon didn't get the s2,but got the gnex instead. Htc produced a lot of exclusive phones for Verizon. I could be wrong, but I can't think of an htc phone on Verizon that wasn't an exclusive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21