RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or so

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, it just sounded like too much work. Plus, I didn't want to be on the hook for another contract. It is actually cheaper to just get a phone full retail and not be on the hook for a 2 year contract.

It does require a little work, but honestly, not that much. I think it is pretty safe to assume that unlimited data would be safe at least for another year. So let's say that you got s4 , and in a year you want to move to tmobile, you would pay $460 ($200 contract price + $30 upgrade + $230 etf). That compared to $650 retail but honestly there are deals that come up all the time like when the note 2 was $50 or the dna was $50 money maker after gc.

The Verizon s4 has band 4 lte radio , so it would get tmobile 4GLTE once verizon allows it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hope this rumor is not true.
The only reason I've stayed loyal to Verizon is because of my unlimited plan. The funny thing is, I'm not a power user, I doubt that I use 1g a month, but I hate the idea that if I were to travel and wanted to use my phone to listen to music, watch movies, etc I'd have to start checking my data usage. Not to mention that if I dropped my unlimited plan and went to a 2g a month plan I'd pay $30 more a month.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hope this rumor is not true.
The only reason I've stayed loyal to Verizon is because of my unlimited plan. The funny thing is, I'm not a power user, I doubt that I use 1g a month, but I hate the idea that if I were to travel and wanted to use my phone to listen to music, watch movies, etc I'd have to start checking my data usage. Not to mention that if I dropped my unlimited plan and went to a 2g a month plan I'd pay $30 more a month.

Why would it cost $30 more to move to the 2gb tier, which costs $30 itself. Unless you are somehow getting unlimited data for free?

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why would it cost $30 more to move to the 2gb tier, which costs $30 itself. Unless you are somehow getting unlimited data for free?

Not sure, but I went to 2 different Verizon Stores, plus made a phone call to Verizon Customer Service. I was really interested in upgrading from my Droid X2 which I started disliking because it was so slow and laggy. Of course I was told that if I wanted a new phone I would have to sign a 2 year contract and lose my unlimited data plan. When I asked each one what the price difference would be on my bill using the 2g plan, I was told that I would be paying about $30 more a month. I found this somewhat baffling myself and even commented that it was cheaper for me to buy a phone at full price and keep my unlimited plan. No one ever disputed it. I didn't press the issue, because I really didn't want to lose my unlimited. I ended up buying a new Razr Maxx HD here in the Marketplace forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure, but I went to 2 different Verizon Stores, plus made a phone call to Verizon Customer Service. I was really interested in upgrading from my Droid X2 which I started disliking because it was so slow and laggy. Of course I was told that if I wanted a new phone I would have to sign a 2 year contract and lose my unlimited data plan. When I asked each one what the price difference would be on my bill using the 2g plan, I was told that I would be paying about $30 more a month. I found this somewhat baffling myself and even commented that it was cheaper for me to buy a phone at full price and keep my unlimited plan. No one ever disputed it. I didn't press the issue, because I really didn't want to lose my unlimited. I ended up buying a new Razr Maxx HD here in the Marketplace forums.

What plan are you on? I am on the family share plan and there is no price difference going from unlimited to 2gb on my plan

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Verizon stores don't mention the Legacy individual plans. That representative was pushing the Family Share Plan which would more expensive.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What plan are you on? I am on the family share plan and there is no price difference going from unlimited to 2gb on my plan

My wife and I are on the 700 min Family share plan with unlimited data and $5 extra a month for 250 texts. I have a smartphone and she has a 6 year old dumbphone.

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I are on the 700 min Family share plan with unlimited data and $5 extra a month for 250 texts. I have a smartphone and she has a 6 year old dumbphone.

Yep, same thing I have gone through. I have the same plan. I lost unlimited but got to keep the 30 price for 2gb. If I went to a share plan my bill would've increased by 40 to share 2gb :eek: The lack of funds and the need to get a new smartphone (DX finally bit the bullet) were the reasons I lost my unlimited data.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep, same thing I have gone through. I have the same plan. I lost unlimited but got to keep the 30 price for 2gb. If I went to a share plan my bill would've increased by 40 to share 2gb :eek: The lack of funds and the need to get a new smartphone (DX finally bit the bullet) were the reasons I lost my unlimited data.

Yea the companies really seem to have every angle figured out. I've been researching this for almost a year and short of buying a phone at full price, I* could not find a way to keep my unlimited plan. The reps at the store even suggested going to a "3rd party" like Amazon to buy a phone, but without a contract the Amazon phones are even more expensive than buying full price through the Verizon store. Fortunately I was able to find a good deal on a phone here at AC through the Marketplace forum. If and when I need another phone I'll be checking the Marketplace here first.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am paying $140 for 5 lines of service with 2 smartphones including one with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE. If I moved to the share everything plan , I would pay in excess of $5,000 based on peak usage. Based on a more moderate 4gb plan (2gb per smartphone) I would be paying $240 for share everything plan

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
If and when I need another phone I'll be checking the Marketplace here first.

You might also check out swappa.com. I've bought and sold several phones there, great experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Wouldn't you would also get unlimited calling and texting on the new plans? May or may not be useful to you, but it is a value add that accounts for the difference in price from your old legacy plan.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or do

The part I found interesting is she told me that customers will have to make a decision to switch or leave Verizon.

This came from a corporate employee? Not a private indirect dealer right? (and by private indirect I don't mean Best Buy, Target etc...).

Quite honestly Verizon would never say "Give up you unlimited data or leave!" Of course most people that have unlimited data are out of contract anyway, so if they were forced off unlimited they could leave anyway. But Verizon would give them an option to stay first. Them leaving at that point would be their choice.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Everybody knows about the installment plan and keep unlimited right? You can get any phone, pay retail but spread out your purchase across 12 months. Put down whatever you want above the initial installment. Example.... 600 dollar phone...600= $50x12...put down 150, 600-150=450= 37.50x11payments+150x1 payment. See?? Keep unlimited, get new phone, pay just 40 bucks more a month for 11months. No penalty for early payoff. Please be aware you might be still paying for your previous phone by your monthly charges...so you might be paying twice at the same time. Subsidized previous phone and now this monthly charge for new retail installment plan. You have to ask for this...most stores wont offer this straight off the bat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

This option is for people who don't have an upgrade as an option to get a new phone. For instance you break your phone, and you have no upgrades. This option can be offered to help with the upfront cost of a full retail phone. That is why it isn't actively offered.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

You also can roam on VZW if you find yourself outside a Sprint service area.

Not 100% true. Sprint just lost or dropped some of their roaming agreements in some areas. Also when roam on Verizon you don't get 4G, and data speeds are horrid, even slower than normal 3G because you are not a priority on the network list.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Not 100% true. Sprint just lost or dropped some of their roaming agreements in some areas. Also when roam on Verizon you don't get 4G, and data speeds are horrid, even slower than normal 3G because you are not a priority on the network list.

Not true either fully. Most people will force roam to Verizon from Sprint since it usually is faster than Sprints natural 3g.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

This came from a corporate employee? Not a private indirect dealer right? (and by private indirect I don't mean Best Buy, Target etc...).

Quite honestly Verizon would never say "Give up you unlimited data or leave!" Of course most people that have unlimited data are out of contract anyway, so if they were forced off unlimited they could leave anyway. But Verizon would give them an option to stay first. Them leaving at that point would be their choice.

Verizon customer support advanced technical support. So yes this was from corporate. Still nothing set in stone yet but interesting none the less.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Their option to stay is (actually 2 parts) 1. Give up unlimited and get a contract renewal or buy new devices full price.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Verizon customer support advanced technical support.

As a corporate employee, I know that tech support wouldn't really be in the know on when stuff that may or may not happen. I think this is probably someone trying to sound important and sound like they know something. As a person that deals with plans and plan changes daily, we here about these things last minute ourselves.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie