RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or so

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Please keep in mind that this is a rumor from several Verizon representatives that I spoke with this morning. Yes, we've all heard it before and it will be a I'll believe it when I see it deal. I was told there was a memo that all customers will be forced off unlimited data in about a years time. No exact date was given nor anything else as they have no idea.

We all know this is coming at some point. Our only options will be 2 GB of data or a Share Everything plan. I will personally believe it when I see it but once this happens I have to choose between one of three things:

1. Deal with it
2. Downgrade to a dumb phone because 2 GB isn't worth the money
3. Switch to T-Mobile and deal with sub par service.

Just wanted to let everyone know. Again, this is a rumor and from a several phone representatives. The question is if this is true what will you do? Stay or go?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited by a moderator:

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or do

Or switch to sprint. There network is getting better.

Posted via Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Or switch to sprint. There network is getting better.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm in Illinois and Sprint is still awful. Worse then T-Mobile which is quite sad to be honest. Dropped calls everywhere and can't hold a call in the local grocery stores. Nothing like needing to call for a second about the shopping and it breaks up. Haha

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Most people will adapt just fine. When I switched from Sprint to Att I was convinced it would be terrible but it wasn't that bad. 90 percent of users will never use more than 2 gigs a month and the ones that do will have to adapt or go to t mobile but as you said their coverage is not the best in many areas.

Sent from my GS4 running the Google Edition Rom

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Most people will adapt just fine. When I switched from Sprint to Att I was convinced it would be terrible but it wasn't that bad. 90 percent of users will never use more than 2 gigs a month and the ones that do will have to adapt or go to t mobile but as you said their coverage is not the best in many areas.

Sent from my GS4 running the Google Edition Rom

I could PROBABLY adapt but I'd have to stop using SiriusXM and Netflix at all. I can't stand the worries of data limits so my smartphone would become an expensive dumb phone/email checker. Shame. A phone primary use is for calls but if they offered say 5 GB for $30 I'd be okay. 2 GB is a unacceptable to me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Anything that a regular rep tells you is just their guess, most likely. Ask them to provide you with official documentation on Verizon's website or some other credible source. If they can't then it doesn't really mean anything to me. Hell, even coming from an exec, like their CFO Shammo, might not be true either. If you remember, he was the one who said that upgrading from 3G to 4GLTE would lose unlimited data. Verizon renegged the next day.

The rumor is probably because Verizon ended unlimited data about a year ago, so those on contract had a chance to sign up officially with unlimited data about a year ago and their contract would end in a year.

With that said, your data plan isn't explicitly stated in the Terms of Service, just like the 20 month upgrade, yet it was eliminated, even for those on contract. That is certainly a materially adverse action on Verizon's part, though not part of the ToS. As such, I wonder if Verizon could eliminate unlimited data plans today, and not have it in violation of the ToS. Granted, it would be a PR nightmare, and I certainly don't think that Verizon would do it before a year from now.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

I'll also believe it when I see it. VZW honors a number of legacy plans that do not exist, so it would be a bit of a surprise that they would kill these plans so soon after they are unavailable. I think they'll let the attrition of the no upgrades policy work for awhile, and as the number of people on the unlimited plan goes down, the incentive to discontinue the plans goes down too.

That being said, I don't think discontinuing the plans will be a PR disaster. There will be a ton of rage on sites like this if they do drop unlimited plans, and some people will probably switch carriers, but there's a lot of inertia with a current cell provider, particularly Verizon, between the network quality, phones that are (mostly) incompatible with other carriers, and contracts, particularly on a family plan where contract end dates may not be aligned. The good news is that many VZW employee sourced rumors have turned out to be false.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Oh definitely! I agree with all of that about proof and such. The part I found interesting is she told me that customers will have to make a decision to switch or leave Verizon.

Like everyone else I'll believe it when I see it. I'm just preparing for the worst because Verizon would benefit from doing so.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Oh definitely! I agree with all of that about proof and such. The part I found interesting is she told me that customers will have to make a decision to switch or leave Verizon.

Like everyone else I'll believe it when I see it. I'm just preparing for the worst because Verizon would benefit from doing so.

Who knows what will happen. When tmo released the uncarrier plan , the iPhone 5 was $100 with a $20 payment plan for 2 years. It is now $146 with a $21 payment plan for 2 years. It would be cheaper to get the Verizon iPhone 5 which comes factory sim unlocked and pay etf than to buy from tmo.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd say yeah its a rumor but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they forced people off the unlimited... They want your moneys.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

They wouldn't sell me my Note 2 unless I ditched the unlimited data. Now I have unlimited calling, and 6 gigs shared (3 devices) and the big difference is I don't use Slacker or Pandora or YouTube anymore when Im out of WiFi range. Overall My plan is less expensive. Im just saying its not as bad as you might think. If it is then you might want to keep your old devices longer than you wanted to.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

They wouldn't sell me my Note 2 unless I ditched the unlimited data. Now I have unlimited calling, and 6 gigs shared (3 devices) and the big difference is I don't use Slacker or Pandora or YouTube anymore when Im out of WiFi range. Overall My plan is less expensive. Im just saying its not as bad as you might think. If it is then you might want to keep your old devices longer than you wanted to.

You had the option to buy it full retail and keep your unlimited, correct?

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

You had the option to buy it full retail and keep your unlimited, correct?

Im finding that out now. At the time no such option was offered by the VZW rep. I didn't know about it.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Im finding that out now. At the time no such option was offered by the VZW rep. I didn't know about it.

Wow that's crazy lol. When I bought my Note 2 that's the first thing that the rep asked me if I was paying retail to keep my unlimited or changing my plan. I said what do u think and we both laughed.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am paying $140 for 5 lines on Verizon now. If I move to the share everything plan, based on my maximum usage, I would pay over $5,000 per month.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Out in NJ/ PA they don't ask and if you say you want it, they try and get you out of doing so to lock you in for another 2 years......
Guy that told me about passing on the nexus and waiting for the S3 (I ignored him) and who gave me the heads up about unlimited going away (boy was I flamed on here for that 18 months ago!!!) is pretty involved with phone development.
I should pick his brain....

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Out in NJ/ PA they don't ask and if you say you want it, they try and get you out of doing so to lock you in for another 2 years......
Guy that told me about passing on the nexus and waiting for the S3 (I ignored him) and who gave me the heads up about unlimited going away (boy was I flamed on here for that 18 months ago!!!) is pretty involved with phone development.
I should pick his brain....

What part of PA are u referring to? I live in Philly and when I paid retail for both my gs3 n my Note 2 they asked me if I was gonna retail or not. I have been in plenty other VZW stores in and around the Philadelphia area n have heard the reps ask people are they gonna pay retail or not. A few go the retail route while the others get the shared plan.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

The main reason I'm bringing this up is because I'm sure some of us are due for an upgrade and it would be beneficial for all of us to consider our upgrade options. Do we pay retail, sign a new contract and RISK losing unlimited data for nothing or stick with our phone longer and see what happens? None of these are great options because we will never truly know until Verizon announces it.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I made the jump to the share and went with the 6GB plan. Initially I made the transition because I did not think paying full price for a subsidized phone and then paying the same for service that everyone else was made too much sense. I have found that even with streaming music (initially Pandora, now Google Music) and podcasts for 2 hours a day M-F, that I very rarely hit the 6 GB mark with two phones. Most months we are just over 4GB. The only change I have made is using WiFi at work and family member houses.

I took a trip to northern VT and shared my service as a hotspot with my in-laws, using a tablet and computer, and after 4 days of heavy usage at the end of my billing cycle we still didn't hit 6GB. Now, travelling for work is a different story...I use my work phone as much as possible to limit the chance I'll hit my personal bill up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool