Vz edge upgrade program

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
http://androidandme.com/2013/07/rumors/verizon-rumored-to-launch-vz-edge-upgrade-program/

After Verizon changed up its upgrade policy a few months ago, it appears that it has a new upgrade program in the works. Said program is reportedly set to be dubbed VZ Edge and appears to be a program to compete with T-Mobile?s new JUMP! program. If Droid Life is to be believed then we can expect this new program to launch on August 25 and tie in with Verizon?s new device payment plan.

VZ Edge Leak

What VZ Edge appears to be is a program to allow customers to upgrade to a new phone if 50% of the cost of their previous phone has already been paid. In short, it?s a way to avoid signing into new contracts that can be easily combined with the device payment plan. In fact, it appears that it will probably only be available to customers who are using a device payment plan. The device payment plan was a good idea and probably would have been fine on its own but we won?t say no to this new program if it allows for even faster upgrades.

In fact, you could, in theory, upgrade much faster with this program than you could on T-Mobile JUMP! but the problem is that you would most likely (definitely) pay significantly more with VZ Edge. And another plus for Verizon customers, this method would keep you from signing into new contracts. We assume that like the device payment plan, VZ Edge would also allow you to keep your unlimited data by buying the phones at full retail price.

Of course, you?re still getting a better deal on T-Mobile with both its plans and the new JUMP! program. But you have to consider that Verizon has long been known to be very tight fisted about upgrades and you?re also getting a far superior network to what T-Mobile offers. At the very least, it could be a step in the right direction for Verizon becoming more consumer oriented.

What do you think of the rumored VZ Edge?

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 2

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It's about time! I don't like the 50% payoff thing, but at least they are throwing us a bone (as minuscule as it is). I would have to calc it all out, but essentially it's like paying for the privilege to upgrade early.

Who would not want a new phone every year or even twice a year? But, are you willing to pay more per month for it? That, is the question.....

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I will withhold judgement until I see all of the details. I really wish that VZW didn't do away with 1 year contracts.

If this new VZ Edge plan requires me to turn in my current phone after I pay 50% of it off, I say NO WAY!

I think my best option to get a new phone every year is to buy at full retail once every other year and use my 24 month upgrade in between.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's about time! I don't like the 50% payoff thing, but at least they are throwing us a bone (as minuscule as it is). I would have to calc it all out, but essentially it's like paying for the privilege to upgrade early.

Who would not want a new phone every year or even twice a year? But, are you willing to pay more per month for it? That, is the question.....

According to Verizon, their customers do not want to upgrade every year, but would prefer to stick to 2 year contacts

" Verizon has ended the option for customers to sign up for a one-year contract, according to a report.
The one-year contract option will cease on April 17, according to a report by PhoneScoop, which quoted a Verizon Wireless executive.
"Keep in mind, a majority of our customers select a two-year contract when buying our devices, so we are responding to what our customers want," Verizon said, according to the site. "

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I will withhold judgement until I see all of the details. I really wish that VZW didn't do away with 1 year contracts.

If this new VZ Edge plan requires me to turn in my current phone after I pay 50% of it off, I say NO WAY!

I think my best option to get a new phone every year is to buy at full retail once every other year and use my 24 month upgrade in between.

I am sure it would require a trade in, or a steep monthly fee making it most likely not profitable compared to buying it via etf and selling the phone when you are fine with it. Of course the details aren't out yet, but something tells me that this plan isn't going to be financially beneficial to the consumer

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the Edge program costs $3537, Edge $2760 for 2 years for one line upgrading at the 6 mo mark

Jump, Edge, or Next: which mobile carrier's early upgrade plan screws you the least? | The Verge

For $2534, I can get 5 lines of service with 1 smartphone with unlimited data.

Verizon family plan breakdown with 5 upgrades over 2 years (1 upgrade per line)
$2880 ($120/mo* x 24 ) Service for 5 lines, one smartphone with unlimited data
$1000 ($200 x 5) Hardware fee for 5 phones
$150 ($30 x 5) Upgrade fee for 5 phones
$4 ($1 x 4) One day's data usage on each dumb phone line when activating smartphone
-$1500 ($300** x 5) Money gained by selling 5 phones

*$120/mo based on the 550 minute loyalty plan. The standard family plan has 700 minutes and is $10/mo more. Assumes 1 smartphone with unlimited data, and 4 dumb phones, no text. Excludes discounts, taxes, and fees.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I am sure it would require a trade in, or a steep monthly fee making it most likely not profitable compared to buying it via etf and selling the phone when you are fine with it. Of course the details aren't out yet, but something tells me that this plan isn't going to be financially beneficial to the consumer

I guarantee you would need to trade in your existing phone if you upgraded at 6 months with only 50% paid off...I'm pretty sure that fact has already been established.

what I want to know is, let's say after 12 months I've paid off the full 100% of the phone, is this phone now "mine" to do with as I please, or would I still have to turn it in as a condition of the plan if I wanted to upgrade? I know it seems like a silly question, but this is Verizon we're talking about here... Assuming this is the case, then I'd say it's a great alternative to those who already plan on paying full retail for their phones but would like to defer those payments...but if you need to turn the phone even after it's paid off, I can't see how this plan is even worth it?

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I guarantee you would need to trade in your existing phone if you upgraded at 6 months with only 50% paid off...I'm pretty sure that fact has already been established.

what I want to know is, let's say after 12 months I've paid off the full 100% of the phone, is this phone now "mine" to do with as I please, or would I still have to turn it in as a condition of the plan if I wanted to upgrade? I know it seems like a silly question, but this is Verizon we're talking about here... Assuming this is the case, then I'd say it's a great alternative to those who already plan on paying full retail for their phones but would like to defer those payments...but if you need to turn the phone even after it's paid off, I can't see how this plan is even worth it?

That is a very good question.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am assuming, once you pay it in full, it is yours to do with as you please. But the full details aren't out yet. Still, the etf method would be cheaper, and quite a bit so, if combined with sales. For example, the note 2 was $50 earlier this year. Pay etf and get it for $400. Way better than $700 retail, and even if you used a high interest credit card, say 20%,it would still be cheaper over the year

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I am assuming, once you pay it in full, it is yours to do with as you please. But the full details aren't out yet. Still, the etf method would be cheaper, and quite a bit so, if combined with sales. For example, the note 2 was $50 earlier this year. Pay etf and get it for $400. Way better than $700 retail, and even if you used a high interest credit card, say 20%,it would still be cheaper over the year

That's true, but that only works for new customers right? If I already have a contract with Verizon they won't let me "ETF" that contract to get a new phone at subsidized prices, yes?

It's probably a moot point anyway. On the very surface these types of deals at first seem enticing because many people would love to be able to upgrade earlier, but when you do the math, they rarely save the consumer any money, if not cost more in the long run (as this one does). If, however, you were in a position where you intended to spend full retail regardless and assuming that you do take ownership of the phone once it's paid off, then at the very least the Edge plan may be worth looking into (you may not save any money, but could at least defer payments on an expensive phone)...I only brought it up because that's about the only scenario I could see it making sense.

As you mentioned though, the full details aren't available yet, so any discussion at this point is based merely on speculation anyway.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's true, but that only works for new customers right? If I already have a contract with Verizon they won't let me "ETF" that contract to get a new phone at subsidized prices, yes?

It's probably a moot point anyway. On the very surface these types of deals at first seem enticing because many people would love to be able to upgrade earlier, but when you do the math, they rarely save the consumer any money, if not cost more in the long run (as this one does). If, however, you were in a position where you intended to spend full retail regardless and assuming that you do take ownership of the phone once it's paid off, then at the very least the Edge plan may be worth looking into (you may not save any money, but could at least defer payments on an expensive phone)...I only brought it up because that's about the only scenario I could see it making sense.

As you mentioned though, the full details aren't available yet, so any discussion at this point is based merely on speculation anyway.

No, you can do it with current customers as well. If you have a family line, you can add a line, get the phone, and ETF that line same day. If you have an individual line, you can convert it to a family line, then etf the line, converting it back to an individual line. Should work on share everything plan just as well.

Alternatively, you can open a different account to add the line, then just terminate it same day. Do not wait too long, as after 3 days, you will have to pay the $36 activation fee, and obviously you are paying service for each day that you are using it.

But the point being, the ETF method will be cheaper than the device payment plan or the vz edge. If you have one line, you can get the phone on contract, 6 months or whatever later, sell that phone and get a new phone via the ETF method. Repeat it 3 more times in 2 years, and i am sure that you would be better off, financially. Of course, not everyone wants to deal with the hassle of ETF, but it really doesn't take that much time, i have terminated lines of service before, it was a 5 minute phone call, and you should be saving at least $100. Now, if you are making more than $100 every 5 minutes, then that's a different story, but if that is the case, i don't think you would really care about paying full retail.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I prefer to be on contract and not the new plans. I hope we have that option. I don't get tired of my phones. I only have issues if it doesn't work properly.
The Edge plans will cost me more.

sent from my amazing Note2

THARD

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
If you go the Edge route do you loose your unlimited data plan? Seems to me since you are paying full price you should be able to keep, but this is Verizon we are talking about.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you go the Edge route do you loose your unlimited data plan? Seems to me since you are paying full price you should be able to keep, but this is Verizon we are talking about.

In the announcement for edge they state that it is only available for shared everything plans.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I have been all through these FAQ on the Edge plan and don't see anywhere that is says you have to be on a Share everything plan like they are telling me in the store.

Verizon Edge FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Has anyone tried with an unlimited data plan?

That was based on leaked info, if it doesn't mention the share everything requirement, then it doesn't require share everything.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle