Verizon vs T-Mobile

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am currently a unlimited data holder on Verizon with my Droid RAZR M. I want to switch to a cheaper service, which is why I have been looking at T-Mobile. The problem is that T-Mobile does not have the coverage that Verizon foes which is my hesitation in moving to them. I love Verizon's service, but even with them I get a dead zone here and there. I can only imagine it being worse on T-Mobile. I don't know I'm just putting down my thoughts. Anyone else looking to move to T-Mobile?

Posted via Android Central App

iHackPro

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
For T-Mobile, the price is right, coverage is not. Only reason I'm sticking to AT&T is because them and Verizon are the only carriers that get coverage in my area. If I never went outside downtown Dallas, I would use them, but the coverage isn't good enough for my needs.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I am currently a unlimited data holder on Verizon with my Droid RAZR M. I want to switch to a cheaper service, which is why I have been looking at T-Mobile. The problem is that T-Mobile does not have the coverage that Verizon foes which is my hesitation in moving to them. I love Verizon's service, but even with them I get a dead zone here and there. I can only imagine it being worse on T-Mobile. I don't know I'm just putting down my thoughts. Anyone else looking to move to T-Mobile?

My #1 rule is Network, Network, Network. Buy a phone on the network that works where you Work, Live, and Play.

Is saving a few bucks worth your phone not working when you need it from time to time???

I would see if you can find a cheap T-Mobile smartphone on Craigs list and buy one month of service from T-Mobile and test it out side by side with your Verizon phone. If it doesn't work where you need it then don't switch. The small investment of a test drive will save you hours of frustration down the road.

Just my $0.02

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If it is a monetary issue, and you are willing to make some sacrifices, then you can get 5 unlimited data lines from Verizon for $50 a piece on the old family plan. Even though it is called the family plan, you don't have to use it with just family, you can use it with friends, co-workers or whatever. Then you can use Google voice for calls and texts.

Of course, this is a bit of work on your part, but again, if money is an issue, and you want the best total network coverage, then it can be done.

Optionally, you can also do a single line for $70.

If you don't currently have unlimited lines, then you would have to assume liability of one (or more) which may cost money.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
My #1 rule is Network, Network, Network. Buy a phone on the network that works where you Work, Live, and Play.

Is saving a few bucks worth your phone not working when you need it from time to time???

I would see if you can find a cheap T-Mobile smartphone on Craigs list and buy one month of service from T-Mobile and test it out side by side with your Verizon phone. If it doesn't work where you need it then don't switch. The small investment of a test drive will save you hours of frustration down the road.

Just my $0.02

I don't have the funds to just test drive something like that. That's why I'm waiting till my contract ends, so whatever decision I make is permanent for a while.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If it is a monetary issue, and you are willing to make some sacrifices, then you can get 5 unlimited data lines from Verizon for $50 a piece on the old family plan. Even though it is called the family plan, you don't have to use it with just family, you can use it with friends, co-workers or whatever. Then you can use Google voice for calls and texts.

Of course, this is a bit of work on your part, but again, if money is an issue, and you want the best total network coverage, then it can be done.

Optionally, you can also do a single line for $70.

If you don't currently have unlimited lines, then you would have to assume liability of one (or more) which may cost money.

No that wouldn't be a option for me.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
All depends on coverage. In my town I hardly get reception at home with Verizon. And I only get edge at work with T-Mobile. I spend 90% of my time and work and home so if I don't get data there then its a no go. You need to test it out yourself.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the funds to just test drive something like that. That's why I'm waiting till my contract ends, so whatever decision I make is permanent for a while.

Doesn't u can spend $50 for one month of service on T-Mobile to test it out.

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I'm doing right now - my vzw contract finished on the 10th. I got a nexus 4 off amazon and a t mobile SIM.

I'm going to try t mobile out for a month with the $30 plan.

If it works, great, I'll drop Verizon and sell my galaxy nexuses (nexii?), get the wife a nexus 4 and we'll save a bunch of money. If it doesn't work out I'll return the nexus 4 for a refund (30 day returns with Amazon) and I've only lost $30.

Maybe in 6 months I'll try the same thing on an AT&T MVNO like gophone.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
To original poster...You are giving up a unlimited line on vzw? Call me crazy but I would love to have that! Keep that no matter what! Its not something I would give up easily. Once its gone its never coming back!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I can't skimp on network. My phone has to work all the time. Never an issue with Verizon.

sent from my amazing Note2

Agreed! But if you stay in the same state most of the time then maybe Tmo will work for you. Otherwise if you travel a lot you will see a lot of EDGE coverage.

C_lake2802

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
For me I went with T-mobile for the freedom of prepaid, but the support of a major carrier. Also my area has 4g LTE, so that was a plus. But if I was a big traveler i would 100% get Verizon.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
For me I went with T-mobile for the freedom of prepaid, but the support of a major carrier. Also my area has 4g LTE, so that was a plus. But if I was a big traveler i would 100% get Verizon.

I dispise vzw biz practices and prices. I love being on prepaid and having major carrier support.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Verizon doesn't have the unlimited plan anymore. I would want to keep that. T-Mobile sucks. I had full signal bars on the phone and the 4g didn't work. Kept on freezing. Verizon is the best network with the best coverage. People pay $100's for 8gb of data. You have unlimited under $100. Count yourself lucky. You can also switch anytime. When I had T-Mobile they kept on limiting me. I used the wireless hotspot for over 3gb of data each month for almost a year. Then they sent me a text saying that I had 200mb of hot spot data each month. They just changed it in the middle of a contract. Save your self the trouble. I had to switch to Verizon due to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Verizon doesn't have the unlimited plan anymore. I would want to keep that. T-Mobile sucks. I had full signal bars on the phone and the 4g didn't work. Kept on freezing. Verizon is the best network with the best coverage. People pay $100's for 8gb of data. You have unlimited under $100. Count yourself lucky. You can also switch anytime. When I had T-Mobile they kept on limiting me. I used the wireless hotspot for over 3gb of data each month for almost a year. Then they sent me a text saying that I had 200mb of hot spot data each month. They just changed it in the middle of a contract. Save your self the trouble. I had to switch to Verizon due to that.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
T-mobile works wonders inside the city.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374814774187.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374814774187.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 50

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just test it out.if you can get similar signal/service for half the price then why not do it

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

If isn't available for new accounts, but you can still assume liability of an unlimited data line, which may cost, but may be worth it fit heavy data users

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If isn't available for new accounts, but you can still assume liability of an unlimited data line, which may cost, but may be worth it fit heavy data users

If? It hasn't been for a long time now.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.