no unlocked devices allowed on VZW?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I did an online chat on VZW tonight asking if they allow the use of an unlocked tablet on their service w/o violating any laws or policies. Since I understand it depends on who you talk to at VZW sometimes, I'm just double checking. Anyone know if this is an ok thing to do? In case it makes a difference I'm talking about a tablet not a phone.

Thanks,
Deb

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I did an online chat on VZW tonight asking if they allow the use of an unlocked tablet on their service w/o violating any laws or policies. Since I understand it depends on who you talk to at VZW sometimes, I'm just double checking. Anyone know if this is an ok thing to do? In case it makes a difference I'm talking about a tablet not a phone.

Thanks,
Deb

In short no you can not. If you want to use an unlocked device check out GSM carriers. (Tmo, att and the MNVO's using their towers.)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
All gsm carriers must allow any compatible gsm device on its network. I think Verizon got around this by not having any devices compatible with its network in the market that isn't Verizon branded

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
All gsm carriers must allow any compatible gsm device on its network. I think Verizon got around this by not having any devices compatible with its network in the market that isn't Verizon branded

Verizon isn't a GSM carrier. (Can't really count their LTE)

Also, it depends on what you're asking - the Droid DNA is unlocked (I've use it on T-Mobile) and I believe the iPhone 5 is unlocked as well.

So yes, they do allow unlocked devices on their network.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Verizon isn't a GSM carrier. (Can't really count their LTE)

Also, it depends on what you're asking - the Droid DNA is unlocked (I've use it on T-Mobile) and I believe the iPhone 5 is unlocked as well.

So yes, they do allow unlocked devices on their network.

No they do not. IF THE ESN is NOT in the system it will NOT work. Its been that way sense the beginning of time. (They use CDMA technology for voice/text.)

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
No they do not. IF THE ESN is NOT in the system it will NOT work. Its been that way sense the beginning of time. (They use CDMA technology for voice/text.)

I think this needs some clarification. You are both right. Verizon's phones that have gsm radios in them are unlocked to varying degrees. Some you can only use international sims in and others you can use domestic ones too.

However, there is no way to buy an unlocked phone for Verizon's network that did not originate with or was approved by Verizon. That'll probably be the case until volte is deployed and it's possible to use phones that don't have cdma radios on their network.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I think this needs some clarification. You are both right. Verizon's phones that have gsm radios in them are unlocked to varying degrees. Some you can only use international sims in and others you can use domestic ones too.

However, there is no way to buy an unlocked phone for Verizon's network that did not originate with our was approved by Verizon. That'll probably be the case until volte is deployed and it's possible to use phones that don't have cdms radios on their network.

I know Hoki but I didnt want the op confused.

Phones like the HTC DNA can be used on any GSM network but you will only get EDGE as far as I know. Otherwise if you flip the scenario a GSM unlocked phone will not work on Verizon's network.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

However, there is no way to buy an unlocked phone for Verizon's network that did not originate with or was approved by Verizon. That'll probably be the case until volte is deployed and it's possible to use phones that don't have cdma radios on their network.

The nexus 4 on original firmware should work where Verizon has band 4 deployed (which is only in the testing phase) and obviously lte only though for now.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2374416

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Any wifi tab will work. And not cost u extra. I got mine on ebay. I have my phone as a hotspot. Also have Verizon's jetpak for my internet.

sent from my amazing Note2

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
The nexus 4 on original firmware should work where Verizon has band 4 deployed (which is only in the testing phase) and obviously lte only though for now.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2374416

True, it would work for data only, but until Verizon deploys VoLTE it'll still be nearly impossible to connect a non Verizon phone to their network. I suspect the phone market is going to open up a lot more in the US once VoLTE becomes more prevalent.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
True, it would work for data only, but until Verizon deploys VoLTE it'll still be nearly impossible to connect a non Verizon phone to their network. I suspect the phone market is going to open up a lot more in the US once VoLTE becomes more prevalent.

Hokie lets hope your correct! One of the reasons why I went with GSM technology is the fact its a lot easier to replace your phone and you have more options. (Also great name by the way! I enjoy saying it IRL out loud. My coworkers hear me and they even laugh!) VoLTE will being more subs to all CDMA networks if they allow users to do that I bet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol