http://www.androidcentral.com/motoro...-going-forward

So what exactly does this mean? Does this mean Motorola is the only brand allowed to be called Droid on Verizon or. Verizon will only sell Motorola android enabled phones? I assume the first part only Motorola can be sold as Droid while all others will be called android phones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    07-24-2013 02:53 PM
    Motorola to be sole manufacturer of Verizon 'Droid' devices going forward | Android Central

So what exactly does this mean? Does this mean Motorola is the only brand allowed to be called Droid on Verizon or. Verizon will only sell Motorola android enabled phones? I assume the first part only Motorola can be sold as Droid while all others will be called android phones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    It just means that anything in Verizon's DROID line will come from Motorola. No more phones like the HTC DROID DNA, DROID Incredible, Samsung DROID Charge, etc.
    07-24-2013 02:55 PM
    Isn't it just a name?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    07-25-2013 10:54 PM
    Isn't it just a name?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    DROID is a brand name. Verizon brands devices with it to signify that they are their devices. No other carrier carries DROID devices and no other carrier ever will.

I often see the terms DROID and ANDROID get mixed up by people new to the os.

Android is the os, Droid is the brand.

Personally its the worst thing to ever happen to android, period.

Sent from my paranoid s3...
    07-25-2013 11:06 PM
    I used to be one of those people. XD

What I don't get is why they had to license the Droid name from Lucas Films. The word Android has been around a long time, and I figured Droid would be a common enough shortening of the word that it couldn't be copyrighted/trademarked.
    07-26-2013 12:21 AM
    DROID is a brand name. Verizon brands devices with it to signify that they are their devices. No other carrier carries DROID devices and no other carrier ever will.

Android is the os, Droid is the brand.

Personally its the worst thing to ever happen to android, period.

Sent from my paranoid s3...
    Actually, the droid brand made android more publicly visible and helped move android along.
    karn101 and Ry like this.
    07-26-2013 12:25 AM
    So does this mean there's no chance of a Droid DNA+/S variant of the Butterfly S hitting Verizon now?
    07-27-2013 11:19 AM
    So does this mean there's no chance of a Droid DNA+/S variant of the Butterfly S hitting Verizon now?
    It is possible, perhaps just not under the Droid moniker.

Or maybe Motorola will make one with a similar name, kinda like how Samsung made the sidekick 4g.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    07-27-2013 12:31 PM