new tablet on VZW dummy here ... questions on data use and monitoriing data use

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I just hooked up my first tablet to VZW. It's for hubby to take on the road. My own tablet is strictly wi-fi and is the only tablet I've ever had. His being an add on to our Share Everything plan is new to me. Do I understand correctly that it works just like a phone when it comes to data use? In other words when he's at home with it, it will automatically just use our home wi-fi and when he's on the road it will automatically switch to the VZW network? If he puts it in Airplane Mode (or shuts it off) when not in use it won't use any data, correct? I also got him a really nice bluetooth keyboard/case. I'd tried one before and hated it, horrible touch to the keys but I'm amazed at how nicely this one works! Just closing the tablet in the keyboard case won't turn off data use, correct?

We each have a VZW data monitor app on our screens but I know that runs like a day behind. The VZW app monitors the whole account, correct? All devices as a whole will be monitored through these apps. His doesn't just monitor his and mine doesn't just monitor mine, correct?

Thanks!
Deb

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If he has a Wifi only tablet, then you would need another device to provide the internet connection. That device is the one that needs to monitor data usage, if it is a tiered source.

Wifi only devices will not get internet on its own.
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you but that wasn't the question.

For tablets with mobile data, the my Verizon widget should show the account network usage for the account. If you click on the widget, it will update. It should show total usage across all devices on the family share plan.

It works just like phones in terms of mobile data usage

If you set up Wifi, it should automatically connect to the Wifi network assuming that you have Wifi on and your Wifi is working.
Airplane mode won't use any mobile data.

Closing the tablet with the keyboard case won't shut off mobile data by default. You can use an app like Tasker to turn off mobile data when the screen is off
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Last edited: