Will going from Unlimited Data to Shared Plan reset my contract window?

mgeoffriau

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 unlimited 4G data lines on my account -- and, believe it or not, I'm considering voluntarily going to a Shared Data plan. With WIFI at home and at work we barely average 400 MB per month between the two lines, so I could save some money by downgrading.

However, I am NOT willing to extend my contract out further to do this. T-Mobile network has greatly improved in my area and I'd like to make the switch as soon as possible. Will changing my plan renew the 2 year contract? If so, would CSR be able to change my plan without extending the contract window?

Or -- best case scenario, do you think a CSR would be willing to end my contract if I voluntarily give up our unlimited data lines? Then I could switch to T-Mobile immediately.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can change to the share everything plan at anytime, no change in contract end date.

Verizon won't waive etf, especially considering your low usage.

Verizon has the 500mb plan which may work for you.

Now, if you don't mind losing your phone numbers, you can sell your unlimited lines and probably make $300 a piece or $600 for both lines. This way, the new owner of your lines would take over your contract.

If you don't want to sell, you can always give the unlimited lines away, I am sure that there are people who would be more than happy to take over your unlimited lines

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it will costvan extra $30 per month per phone.

Posted via Android Central App

What do you mean? The standard base family plan is $70 for 700 minutes, and 2 unlimited lines is $30 a piece or $60. So the op is probably paying $130 now, or more depending on the family plan details.

With share everything, it is $40 per smartphone, and $40 for 500mb, or $120 total. In this case, the op might benefit from moving to the share everything plan, due to low data usage, especially if lots of minutes and texts are used.

But since the op wants to move to tmo anyway, the unlimited lines can be sold for a profit and the new owner would take over the balance of the contract

mgeoffriau

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean? The standard base family plan is $70 for 700 minutes, and 2 unlimited lines is $30 a piece or $60. So the op is probably paying $130 now, or more depending on the family plan details.

Correct -- our monthly total is $154 before fees.

But since the op wants to move to tmo anyway, the unlimited lines can be sold for a profit and the new owner would take over the balance of the contract

I've seen this mentioned before -- how does this work?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You would sell your line(s) (which could be done on ebay or whatever). Once you have a buyer, you call Verizon and say that you want to transfer ownership of your line to someone else. Verizon will verify your info and you give Verizon the phone number of the new owner. Verizon will call the new owner and get his info (alternatively, after giving Verizon the info of the new owner, the new owner can also call in). The new owner will have to go through a credit check which Verizon will perform, and may have to put down a deposit depending on the credit worthiness. Once done, the new owner assumes liability of the account, including the remainder of the contract

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, because I see this flying around here all the time. If sell your lines, and transfer them into someone else's name, this is referred to assumption of liability. Note that when you do this you now lose unlimited data and are moved to a share everything plan.

Using the Big Red Samsung Galaxy S4

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Correct -- our monthly total is $154 before fees.

I've seen this mentioned before -- how does this work?

There is a way to sell your Verizon Unlimited Data, keep Verizon and keep your number.

Disclaimer:

I have not done this and plan to keep my Unlimited Data as long as possible.

1. Go to google.com/voice and login to your account
2. Click on your Google Voice number (obviously you need to register if you don't have a GV Number)
3. Click on the Change/Port option and verify that each Verizon Wireless number can be ported to Google
4. Pay the $20 per line to port your number to Google
5. Wait around 24 hours for the port to go through
6. Your Verizon account should automatically be disconnected
7. Call Verizon up and tell them you really want to come back......They should happily oblige you (Do this within 7 days of disconnecting)
8. Since your original numbers are with Google and not with Verizon, you'll be given 2 new numbers
9. Verify the new numbers still have and will have unlimited data
10. Sell your lines and AOL the new numbers with unlimited data in tact.
11. Open a new SHARE EVERYTHING account with Verizon
12. I would probably keep my original numbers with Google, but if you want, you can port them back to Verizon for free.

If you do this, you can probably expect to clear $200 to $250 or more per line after Ebay/Paypal fees or more if you bypass Ebay

However, as I mentioned, you'll pay $20 per line to Google for the initial port and will also pay a $35 activation fee per line to Verizon to setup a new account, so you may end up paying up to $110 in fees for 2 lines, but you'll still be ahead.

Realistically, you may also want to proactively add two new lines to your existing Verizon account and tell the agent specifically that you want a SHARE EVERYTHING plan for those 2 lines only. It is possible to have Individual, Nationwide, amd Family Share plans on the same account.

By doing this, you'll prevent yourself from not having VZW service all together while you port your unlimited lines, AOL them, and start SHARE EVERYTHING.

One possible hangup is that you may have 4 active Verizon lines on your account before you do the AOL for the unlimited lines.
Since each active line needs to have a device assigned to it, it would be ideal if you had to old smartphones you could assign to the lines you aren't using.
You can even suspend them without billing before you sell them and do the AOL.

If you don't have 2 old smartphones, you could try to use this Dummy device code 13800000400 but make sure it doesn't remove the Unlimited Data on the 2 lines you are selling.

Last edited:

mgeoffriau

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI, because I see this flying around here all the time. If sell your lines, and transfer them into someone else's name, this is referred to assumption of liability. Note that when you do this you now lose unlimited data and are moved to a share everything plan.

Do you mean me personally, or the person taking over my unlimited data lines? If you mean me...well, of course. That's the point of my question -- selling the unlimited data lines and going with a cheaper option for myself.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean me personally, or the person taking over my unlimited data lines? If you mean me...well, of course. That's the point of my question -- selling the unlimited data lines and going with a cheaper option for myself.

You would lose unlimited data, the buyer would get unlimited data

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You would lose unlimited data, the buyer would get unlimited data

No, when you an assumption of liability whoever takes over the account loses the unlimited data. They force the person taking over onto a share everything plan.

mgeoffriau

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
No, when you an assumption of liability whoever takes over the account loses the unlimited data. They force the person taking over onto a share everything plan.

This makes no sense. Why would people be paying hundreds of dollars to take over unlimited data lines if the didn't get to keep unlimited data?

mgeoffriau

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
With share everything, it is $40 per smartphone, and $40 for 500mb, or $120 total. In this case, the op might benefit from moving to the share everything plan, due to low data usage, especially if lots of minutes and texts are used.

Okay, I have a new question.

Let's suppose I sell my 2 unlimited 4G LTE data lines for $500 or whatever. I keep my 2 (now inactive) devices.

As you pointed out, I could open a new Share Everything plan for $120 by selecting the 500 MB option.

But since I already have 2 Verizon smartphones, why wouldn't I choose the Verizon Prepaid $60 option (x2) since that gets me 2GB of data for each line and still has unlimited talk and text -- not to mention no contract. Isn't this the better option?

EDIT: Finally noticed that the Verizon Prepaid plans only include 3G data, not 4G/LTE. Lame.

Last edited:

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This makes no sense. Why would people be paying hundreds of dollars to take over unlimited data lines if the didn't get to keep unlimited data?

Unless policy has changed in the last week, Verizon WILL let those doing AOL transfer the Unlimited Data option. You're right, if that wasn't the case, it wouldn't make much sense.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Unless policy has changed in the last week, Verizon WILL let those doing AOL transfer the Unlimited Data option. You're right, if that wasn't the case, it wouldn't make much sense.

X2.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

That's the point I am trying to make. This is a somewhat recent change. So if people are buying these accounts now and trying to AOL, the they are in for a shock.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
That's the point I am trying to make. This is a somewhat recent change. So if people are buying these accounts now and trying to AOL, the they are in for a shock.

Thanks for the update. That's a major change

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mgeoffriau

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

What's the source of your information? Have you tried it yourself? I'm honestly just curious -- people are still buying and selling accounts all over the internet, and yet this is the first time I've seen someone claim that it's no longer allowed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463