08-15-2013 04:00 AM
28 12
tools
    I've been noticing more and more commercials from mobile service providers offering. Obviously they made their commercials poke fun at other providers who are still on a 2-yr contract before you can upgrade.

Has anyone heard if Verizon will be jumping with this trend to keep competition equal?

What exactly are the requirements behind the "Upgrade Anytime"?

I'm sure there are some restrictions/limitations to the application of the "Upgrade Anytime" thing.
    08-02-2013 03:26 PM
    A big one, CAN'T KEEP YOUR PHONE!!!
    08-02-2013 03:40 PM
    Yes Verizon will start offering VERIZON EDGE.

Its basically a leasing program where you pay a monthly fee towards the phone and after you've paid half of it you can either trade it up for a new model and begin making payments from scratch or you can just continue to pay monthly fees until you've paid off your current phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fredo_p likes this.
    08-02-2013 03:42 PM
    A big one, CAN'T KEEP YOUR PHONE!!!
    Which is true of all such plans. Tge exception being when you pay the phone in full.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    08-02-2013 03:47 PM

Its basically a leasing program where you pay a monthly fee towards the phone and after you've paid half of it you can either trade it up for a new model and begin making payments from scratch or you can just continue to pay monthly fees until you've paid off your current phone.

You are basically losing the subsidy on Verizon edge, so you would be better off getting the first phone on contract, selling the phone buying the next phones on sale via the etf method until the end of the 2 years contract, and start over

Fredo_p likes this.
    08-02-2013 03:50 PM
    T-Mobile introduced Jump to help out customers but AT&T Next is made just to decieve people and take their money. I am a customer of AT&T and that's what I heard on the forums. The guy even gave a link to the article.

AT&T Next.......ripoff - AT&T Community Support

AT&T's Next phone upgrade plans are a huge ripoff | The Verge
    08-02-2013 04:05 PM

Weird, I've never heard of Verizon Edge. But I never liked the idea of leasing in general. Need to look into this and see what it's all about.
    08-02-2013 04:06 PM
    Weird, I've never heard of Verizon Edge. But I never liked the idea of leasing in general. Need to look into this and see what it's all about.
    It starts august 25th and is only available for share everything plan.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news...y-upgrade.html

08-02-2013 05:50 PM
    It's not a lease, it's a finance. Once you've paid off 50% of the phone, you may return the phone to Verizon or continue paying it off.
    08-03-2013 03:50 AM
    not worth a $20/mo hidden charge if you do it before your contract is up

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    08-03-2013 05:26 AM

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    What hidden charge?
    08-03-2013 11:27 PM

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    Tried to look around the VZ website and couldn't see any other contract statements about Verizon Edge. Could you post a link to the Terms and Agreements where this might be listed?
    08-04-2013 12:55 AM
    Tried to look around the VZ website and couldn't see any other contract statements about Verizon Edge. Could you post a link to the Terms and Agreements where this might be listed?
    You won't find much on it on the website since it's still more than 20+ days out.

Using the Big Red Samsung Galaxy S4
    Fredo_p likes this.
    08-04-2013 05:11 AM
    Verizon Edge is suppose to start Aug 25th.
    I am OK being on contract. I do not want to lease till I own. Special pricing being on contract is fine.

sent from my amazing Note2
    08-04-2013 09:03 PM
    Not sure but my friend works for verizon and he sells upgrades for 50 bucks lol when they catch him he's toast. (If you didn't understand that if you're not due for a upgrade for x amount of time you pay him and he'll make you eligible in a day)
    08-11-2013 02:40 AM
    It starts august 25th and is only available for share everything plan.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news...y-upgrade.html

Which makes it a ripoff. Share Everything is pointless if you don't have more than one smartphone. In fact it's a ripoff just like this program. Buy the phone outright and if you want to upgrade then trade into a website such as Gazelle or use eBay. Any of those options are better.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    08-11-2013 11:16 AM
    I talked to a Verizon rep on the phone the other day and they told me you cannot use edge if you are on a contract and I needed to wait until January to use edge

Posted via Android Central App
    08-11-2013 04:31 PM
    Not sure but my friend works for verizon and he sells upgrades for 50 bucks lol when they catch him he's toast. (If you didn't understand that if you're not due for a upgrade for x amount of time you pay him and he'll make you eligible in a day)
    Toast? He could be facing legal action.....
    08-12-2013 12:28 AM
    I talked to a Verizon rep on the phone the other day and they told me you cannot use edge if you are on a contract and I needed to wait until January to use edge

You have to be eligible for an upgrade in order to qualify for edge. They aren't just going to let you break contract in the middle or early unfortunately.
    08-12-2013 12:30 AM
    You have to be eligible for an upgrade in order to qualify for edge. They aren't just going to let you break contract in the middle or early unfortunately.
    I was hoping they would "finance" me a new phone while I am still on contract and paying a subsidy on my RAZR maxx.

Oh well

08-12-2013 10:44 AM
    Lol your friend is trying to make a quick buck at his own expense. When he gets caught, not if, he'll be sued by Verzion for every dollar he has made in this "scam" plus lost earnings for Verizon. I don't know the severity and frequency of how much he's "sold" but we're probably talking tens of thousand probably in a lawsuit. On top of that, good luck getting another job after that with his felony charge on his record.
    08-12-2013 11:21 AM

I just realized how much a rip off edge is. If you are out of contract you should definitely get the subsidized phone and then sell it when you want another new phone. I believe you can then use their 12 month payment plan for the next phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    08-12-2013 12:13 PM
    I just realized how much a rip off edge is. If you are out of contract you should definitely get the subsidized phone and then sell it when you want another new phone. I believe you can then use their 12 month payment plan for the next phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    I would like to hope so and what I was told is dependant on a call takers knowledge and training.

She explained to me if you are on contract (ie you got a phone at subsidized pricing) you cannot use edge until you are off contract and on a month to month plan (24 months later)

08-12-2013 12:29 PM
    yup i tried to tell him.. If he isn't willing to listen then hey lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Lmao i tried telling him.
    08-12-2013 09:00 PM
    I would like to hope so and what I was told is dependant on a call takers knowledge and training.

She explained to me if you are on contract (ie you got a phone at subsidized pricing) you cannot use edge until you are off contract and on a month to month plan (24 months later)

Verizon trying to get people on month to month? Wow, the cellular industry is changing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
    08-13-2013 12:24 PM
28 12