Buying a used phone?

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
I am on unlimited data and really want to get a new phone. I hate my GNEX!!!! I have come to the realization that I will have to pay for the phone out of pocket. I am considering waiting for the LG G2 (Guessing it is going to be $599). I am also considering a used S4. I have found some on craigslist. They seem to be between 400-450. (I found one ad for $325 but I am leery). How can I guarantee that this isn't a stolen phone? One ad had the idea of meeting at a Verizon Wireless store which I thought was a great idea.
Other than that, what can I do? Also, how do the SIM cards work? Some ads say no SIM card. Will I be able to get one easily from Verizon? If so, what do they go for?

Thanks

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You have to be careful with Craigs and Ebay. You'll never know what you'll get till you get it. You can obtain sims for free at a Verizon corperate store. They're happy to give them to you. If you go to a reseller they charge for them, so avoid that.
The best option for buying a used phone is Swappa.com. I've bought and sold on there, and highly recommend it. The seller fees are cheap, and every device's ESN is checked to make sure it's legitimate. I'd give them a look. Heck, I have them bookmarked. Not enough good things to say about them.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
You have to be careful with Craigs and Ebay. You'll never know what you'll get till you get it. You can obtain sims for free at a Verizon corperate store. They're happy to give them to you. If you go to a reseller they charge for them, so avoid that.
The best option for buying a used phone is Swappa.com. I've bought and sold on there, and highly recommend it. The seller fees are cheap, and every device's ESN is checked to make sure it's legitimate. I'd give them a look. Heck, I have them bookmarked. Not enough good things to say about them.

Agreed ^^^^ I bought my Nexus 4 with a case for 300 bucks on Swappa. Best deal ever.

cobra617

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks folks. I want to spend no more than $450 for the S4. My justification is that for a "mere" $150 more, I can just buy a newer (and better???) phone. (LG G2)
I don't understand some of the ads. Why would anyone buy a used phone (more than $600) for more than it costs to just walk into a VZW store to buy a new one? ($599)
There were some S4's on there for around my limit of $450. My only concern is that there is no guarantee. With eBay at least they have a buyers protection. (Not sure how good it is as I've never used it)

I hate my GNEX so much, that I don't know if I can wait for the LG G2. I literally want to toss this phone at a brick wall.

Thanks for the heads up.

tbta02

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought a few phones off of criagslist,always met in a vzw store and they look at it and set it up.after they activate it and I make a call I pay for it.

Posted via Android Central App

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
I am on unlimited data and really want to get a new phone. I hate my GNEX!!!! I have come to the realization that I will have to pay for the phone out of pocket. I am considering waiting for the LG G2 (Guessing it is going to be $599). I am also considering a used S4. I have found some on craigslist. They seem to be between 400-450. (I found one ad for $325 but I am leery). How can I guarantee that this isn't a stolen phone? One ad had the idea of meeting at a Verizon Wireless store which I thought was a great idea.
Other than that, what can I do? Also, how do the SIM cards work? Some ads say no SIM card. Will I be able to get one easily from Verizon? If so, what do they go for?

Thanks

I am on unlimited data and buy all phones and sell all my older phones (3) on swappa.com I have purchased 2 S3's and an S4 that I am using now from swappa.com, if you decide on the S4 make sure you get one with the 32gb internal memory. You can get a new SIM card sent to you or you can go down to a VZW corporate store and they will give you one. The Premium resellers will charge $10.00 a copy for SIM's.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173