Buying a used VZW phone, how to make sure it's good?

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I found a Verzion 32GB Galaxy for only $100. He said the phone is not on a contract and that he can send me the ESN. Is that all I need to find out if the phone will work for me? What do I do with the ESN once he sends me it?

This is the picture from Craigslist.
00h0h_gfWrpblMfZn_600x450.jpg

Thanks...

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Get a PICTURE of the phone's IMEI number. Better yet, when you meet the guy, meet him either in a Verizon store or call Verizon in front of him and give them the IMEI number. You can find it under the battery on the back of the phone. Ask them if the phone is valid for activation as you're buying it secondhand. They'll be able to tell you before you purchase it. DO NOT let the seller call for you, call yourself.

Just a note, I don't ever buy devices from Craigslist. I'll buy them from Swappa whenever possible, as they verify this info before they allow a device to be sold. I'd check out Swappa and see if you can find a comperable deal, but if you choose to try to buy this Gnex, ensure it's valid for use with Verizon.

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Get a PICTURE of the phone's IMEI number. Better yet, when you meet the guy, meet him either in a Verizon store or call Verizon in front of him and give them the IMEI number. You can find it under the battery on the back of the phone. Ask them if the phone is valid for activation as you're buying it secondhand. They'll be able to tell you before you purchase it. DO NOT let the seller call for you, call yourself.

Just a note, I don't ever buy devices from Craigslist. I'll buy them from Swappa whenever possible, as they verify this info before they allow a device to be sold. I'd check out Swappa and see if you can find a comperable deal, but if you choose to try to buy this Gnex, ensure it's valid for use with Verizon.

I told him I'd meet him at a local restaurant, it's easier for us both. When we sit down I just need to get the IMEI number off his phone and call Verizon to see if it can be activated, that its not stolen, etc. That's all I need to do? Is the IMEI located under the battery? Oh, I checked Swappa but most Gnex have scratches.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I told him I'd meet him at a local restaurant, it's easier for us both. When we sit down I just need to get the IMEI number off his phone and call Verizon to see if it can be activated, that its not stolen, etc. That's all I need to do? Is the IMEI located under the battery? Oh, I checked Swappa but most Gnex have scratches.

Yep, call them with the IMEI under the battery and ensure the phone will be fine for you to purchase. If everything is on the up and up he should have no problem with it. If he has a problem with it, don't buy it.

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Never mind. He texted me the IMEI #. I used the website above and it says
The Device ID you entered is not valid. Please try again or contact Customer Service at 800-922-0204 for assistance.
I called tech support and they said the same thing, there is no phone with that #. So either he sent me a typo or it's BS. He told me once he gets home hell send me a photo of the number lmao.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Have the number in front of you. Don't get scammed man. Craigslist people are shady as you know what. You cannot see and look at the ESN but you can see and look at the IMEI.

budmonster

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
He sent me a picture of the #. He said he texted me am extra 0 by mistake. Anything I need to know about the gnex before I buy it. When I meet him anything I should look for. I told him to charge it up so I can check it out. $100 just seems too good and he said perfect condition.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377984018930.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377984018930.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 41
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377984047518.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377984047518.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 41

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well the radio is subpar, but if you are always in a a strong signal area, then it won't matter

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz