No Nexus 5 for Verizon

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
In case you didn't already know. But, guess which CDMA carrier will have a Nexus 5. Sprint. You mad bro?
I'm about ready to sell my unlimited data plan and say farewell. What was the last flagship worth buying VZW had? S4, then the HTC One they released 6 months late with HTCdev blocked, and that's about it for 2013.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

BlakeGates

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
So wait until next year?

There are drawbacks to being on the nation's largest carrier sometimes.

I am on Sprint and every now and then, there are perks to being on the nation's crappiest (lol) carrier.

..From my Black HTC One via AC App

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, the thing I liked about my GNex was it was practically unbrickable. To hard brick it, you'd basically have to try to, and on top of that, know how to.
Right now I'm rocking the GS4, but not digging how locked down it is. I was even lucky enough to get a 32 GB without the update that patched the exploit.
Having a locked down device really kills dev support. There's a few really good devs pumping out some kick *** ROMs, but I still like the variety of a Nexus device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you really must have the nexus 5 on Verizon, it would be possible in the future once verizon deploys band 4 lte, although band 4 lte is slated for limited deployment. Also, lte is data only for now, unless the nexus supports volte, which Verizon would be implementing next year

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So wait until next year?

There are drawbacks to being on the nation's largest carrier sometimes.

..From my Black HTC One via AC App

That is what makes it the worst.. The nation's largest.. And most expensive carrier with the money is super later to getting phones or doesn't get em while a cheap one like T-Mobile does? Doesn't make sense.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That is what makes it the worst.. The nation's largest.. And most expensive carrier with the money is super later to getting phones or doesn't get em while a cheap one like T-Mobile does? Doesn't make sense.

Verizon isn't getting the n5 because of the way they handled the gnex launch and marketing. They had on exclusive on it for a while among the carriers, and it was their job to promote it, to bad it didn't win out over their droid line.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Dr

Actually it does. TMobile needs to win over customers based on phones and customer friendly policies because they are 4th (or 3rd?) . Verizon just provides the most reliable network overall. That's it. If you want the widest phone selection, phones and updates released in a more timely manner, customer friendly policies, don't use Verizon.

If enough people leave Verizon, then they may change their policy. But for now, they have been gaining customers every quarter, so they don't have much incentive to change.

There is a reason why Verizon wireless is worth $, 289 billion and Sprint and tmobile are worth about $30 billion. The tmobile worth was from Last October, it is probably higher now, but my guess is no where near Verizon net worth

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, like I said at the beginning, what's the last phone worth buying on Verizon? Don't say HTC One either. They don't even have a root exploit yet, so you're stuck with VZW Navigator staring at you from your app drawer.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, like I said at the beginning, what's the last phone worth buying on Verizon? Don't say HTC One either. They don't even have a root exploit yet, so you're stuck with VZW Navigator staring at you from your app drawer.

My next Verizon phone would probably be the note 3.

With regards to the vz navigator, can you not disable it? I have done so in my note 2, and it doesn't show up in the app drawer. I am stock

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just because it's hidden, I'd still know it's there lol

It is just a stub app on my note 2, takes 12kb which is practically nothing. If you don't want the phone on that principle, then fine, but for all intents and purposes, it doesn't practically affect the phone in any real manner

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
A Nexus 5 that I can't get signal on where I need it is useless. So, no, I am not mad, bro.

I've sold and used all 4 majors, and VZW had been the best performing hands down. Like everything else in life, there's sacrifices, and a Nexus is a small one IMO.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Dr

Actually it does. TMobile needs to win over customers based on phones and customer friendly policies because they are 4th (or 3rd?) . Verizon just provides the most reliable network overall. That's it. If you want the widest phone selection, phones and updates released in a more timely manner, customer friendly policies, don't use Verizon.

If enough people leave Verizon, then they may change their policy. But for now, they have been gaining customers every quarter, so they don't have much incentive to change.

There is a reason why Verizon wireless is worth $, 289 billion and Sprint and tmobile are worth about $30 billion. The tmobile worth was from Last October, it is probably higher now, but my guess is no where near Verizon net worth

True. I just figure get the best phones.. While having the biggest network. There would be like no downside.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True. I just figure get the best phones.. While having the biggest network. There would be like no downside.

Except for cost...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Except for cost...

Exactly my point. Why have cost and no phones as a negative instead of just cost? Especially when they are rolling in money.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Exactly my point. Why have cost and no phones as a negative instead of just cost? Especially when they are rolling in money.

I wouldn't say that Verizon has "no phones". In the past, they have had a limited phone selection, but, in the last year or so, I would say that they have had a large majority of the major smartphones in the market which have been picked up by the other 3 major carriers, including the iPhone, S3/s4, note 2/3, moto x, one.

Perhaps I am missing something, and there was a major phone released to the other 3 major carriers and not Verizon within the past year, but I am not aware of it. The last major phone that Verizon hasn't gotten that I can think of would be the one x.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say that Verizon has "no phones". In the past, they have had a limited phone selection, but, in the last year or so, I would say that they have had a large majority of the major smartphones in the market which have been picked up by the other 3 major carriers, including the iPhone, S3/s4, note 2/3, moto x, one.

Perhaps I am missing something, and there was a major phone released to the other 3 major carriers and not Verizon within the past year, but I am not aware of it. The last major phone that Verizon hasn't gotten that I can think of would be the one x.

Also the HTC One. Verizon got it.. But they got it 6 months after all the other carriers had it. Just saying if they kept this trend it would be crappy for customers with no real reason to do it.