Question: Primary Account Holder Passes?

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

We currently have the share everything plan (not unlimited) with Verizon.

My mother-in-law is the primary and we have 5 lines on this account. She is not doing well health-wise. She has always been sick but in the last 2 weeks has taken a severe turn for the worst. We don't know how much longer she will be with us.

My question is - she is the primary on the account. If she were to pass away, what will happen to our contracts?

Will they allow us to cancel her line without any Early Termination Fee upon proof of her passing?
Will they allow us to keep our other 4 lines? My concern with this is they are going to require a hefty deposit for either my husband or I based on our credit.

Lastly, if we are required to put a deposit to keep the account, if we are unable to pay - will they allow us to terminate all the lines without early fees?

2 of the 5 lines have upgrades so we could cancel those without issue, but 3 of the lines have at least another year.

Thanks for the insight. I would ask Verizon but I don't want to tip them off and they start making changes to our account.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your mil's poor health. My understanding is that upon death of the account holder, Verizon could close the account and all lines without etf. Note that this would lose the phone numbers.

I am not sure if they would let you cancel just her line without etf and assume liability of the other 4 lines. They won't let you assume liability until you pay a deposit (if they determine that you need one). I would suggest that you check first to make sure that you have enough for a deposit before making a decision.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the insight @dpham00

I am almost positive I will be required to put down a deposit to assume the rest of the lines. We will just have to play it by ear and see what happens.
Thank you for the well wishes with my mother-in-law, it's been extremely hard seeing her fade so quickly.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps a friend or family member with better credit could assume liability of the account?

If you want to check, call and ask them to start a new account with 5 lines and ask what the security deposit would be. That way, you would know for sure

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
2 ways to handle this. If possible depending on health (very sorry to hear). Primarily make sure the account is kept up payment wise no matter what.

1. Both of you go to real Verizon Store and you will ask to change primary person and they will need to do a credit check on you.

2. In the case of an unfortunate death you can bring in the death certificate and they can change ownership to whomever has credit check.

Both of these are assuming you are able credit wise to qualify.

I have helped do this twice and know for a fact this is the only way to do this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can assume liability over the phone as well, the account holder would call in first or you can do a conference call

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you guys for the insight.

I pay the full Verizon bill, so financially I have been responsible for it - just under her name. We will just play it by ear and see how her health does.

Thank you all!