Why I gave up two UNLIMITED data plans and how I learned to love it...

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
A month ago I had two VZW Unlimited Data plans. My wife and I were both using Galaxy Nexus handsets and have been enjoying these plans for years. We didn't have unlimited minutes, but shared a family plan of 2000 minutes with a couple of other basic phone users. Our bill was around $220/month and we had been paying for this so long and had it built into our budget that we just never thought twice about it. We got about $30/month from each of the basic phone users so we were paying about $80/month for each of us to have more minutes than we needed and unlimited data.

Our GNexes were quickly reaching the end of their lives.

I had been waiting for the Moto X to be announced and had planned on purchasing two at full retail to keep our unlimited data. But then they were announced and my taste soured for MANY reasons. The Moto Maker exclusivity, the late launch on VZW, the lack of a developer edition (I know it was released today), and all the VZW bloat. All of a sudden, I was able to open my eyes and start thinking about other options.

We were both due for upgrades, but didn't want to use them because we were so afraid to lose unlimited data. After researching our accounts, it was obvious my wife would rarely if ever use 2GB. She had only gone over 1.5GB one time and didn't quite get to two. I had used over 2GB half a dozen or so times, and only eclipsed 3GB one time (watched a lot of Plex on 4G that month).

It also became clear that the other basic phone users on our account were ready to upgrade to smartphones. After some talking to other family members (parents, parents-in-law) that were paying way to much for their own VZW family accounts, it became clear that no one really wanted to manage their own accounts and would be thrilled to team up on a Share Everything plan and let me do all the management.

So we've given up our Unlimited Data plans. I now manage a Share Everything plan with 8 users, all with smartphones. We pay $320/month for the device access, and share 16GB of data at $130/month ($104/month after 20% employer discount on data). I haven't received our first bill yet with this setup, but I imagine taxes and surcharges will come in somewhere around the $8/month per device mark. So add on another $70 or so for a total of $494/month. That's $61.75/person. For unlimited talk, text, and as much data as we'll ever need. Four of our users are aging parents who would be lucky to ever use 1GB of data.

Best part is, these aging parents don't really care or need the newest of devices, so they were happy to start out with our previous Android handsets (a Bionic, a DInc2, and a couple GNexii) considering they didn't have to buy phones to upgrade. This gives the rest of us plenty of upgrades to play around with over the next couple of years.

So are we on contracts? Yep. Do we technically have a data cap? Yep. Will we ever reach it? Very unlikely. What if we do? I add on another 2GB of data. $112/month for 18GB would increase our total per person to $62.75/person.

I would like to point out, this is LOWER per person than an individual T Mobile plan for 2.5GB of "unlimited" data ($60/month before taxes and surcharges), plus we get to stay on the best network in the country and continue to get our devices subsidized.

I realize these circumstances worked out for us very well, and not everyone knows enough trustworthy people to pull something like this off. But if you can, a Big Red Share Everything plan is just as affordable as the budget carrier and as we all know, twice the network coverage and reliability.

Next step - return my HTC One I've been playing with for the past week, and try to live off an N7 LTE instead. $10/month access instead of $40. My bill just got even lower. :)

Sorry for the long post. I really wanted to share this experience with the community and see if anyone sees any flaws/potential dangers in my plan.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
That sounds great, and is similar to what I'm doing, just with less lines.

When Share Everything came out, i always felt it really only benefited those who had many lines on the account. To save money, I have added my roomate and his parents onto my Share Everything account, as well as move me parents over from Sprint and my brother in law. We have 4 smartphones on the account but since no one is a heavy user, we get by with 2GB. Since we have such a low data tier, I only wish that they would apply employer discount to the actual service lines haha

And, like you mentioned, it's awesome having multiple lines for people who don't need/want new phones, since that allows for yearly upgrades =)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad it worked out for you. Each person has their own needs, and finding something that works for you is key. Me, I would never give up unlimited data. And even though I have the 550 minutes family share plan, I have used over 10,000 minutes before on my line alone, within the unlimited portion of my minutes. So like you with your data cap, while I have a minute cap, I can still use a lot of minutes... Just have to know how to do it

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am glad it works for you! Someone like me just can't do it. My bill usage resets on October 7th.. I'm at 28 GB solo right now... So sharing doesn't work for me :p.

I do wish I could get on a family plan though... Individuals always pay the most on any carrier :eek:.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Glad it worked out for you. Each person has their own needs, and finding something that works for you is key. Me, I would never give up unlimited data. And even though I have the 550 minutes family share plan, I have used over 10,000 minutes before on my line alone, within the unlimited portion of my minutes. So like you with your data cap, while I have a minute cap, I can still use a lot of minutes... Just have to know how to do it

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4
You've lost me here. To know how to use a lot of minutes (10,000?!) on a 550 minutes family share plan?

shn'g

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
That sounds awesome! Up here in Canada we get crap share plans that never are cheaper than individual plans. Wish we had a bit more option. Right now I am on a unlimited calling texting plan with 2GB of data for $57, which for here isn't too bad

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You've lost me here. To know how to use a lot of minutes (10,000?!) on a 550 minutes family share plan?

I am pretty sure he means the Verizon to Verizon calling is where he used 10k...but for the other minutes such as anytime he only has 550.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Wont work for me i use about 5 gigs a month on wifi without it it peaks to 125 my record and got a phone call from at&t about it was 27 gig in 12 hours :)
Im a forum addict i rooted just use tethering ill put my ps3 on it and play call of duty im a Netflix addict i have a few movies on vudu soo to loose that would mean i would be screwed they make enough money i give them over 2or 3 grand a year
Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure he means the Verizon to Verizon calling is where he used 10k...but for the other minutes such as anytime he only has 550.

Right Verizon family share plan has unlimited night and weekend and mobile to mobile

DrewDT

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Personally I think the logic is a bit flawed to think previous usage will predict future usage, especially when you are signing up for a two year contract. As technology increases and there is more media online, our use changes. Two years ago I used a fraction of the data I use now. This is because of the upgraded capabilities of the phone I purchased compared to the phone I had before and the LTE network's speed. Two years is a long time for technology, be careful using the past to predict the future.

Posted via Android Central App

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Personally I think the logic is a bit flawed to think previous usage will predict future usage, especially when you are signing up for a two year contract. As technology increases and there is more media online, our use changes. Two years ago I used a fraction of the data I use now. This is because of the upgraded capabilities of the phone I purchased compared to the phone I had before and the LTE network's speed. Two years is a long time for technology, be careful using the past to predict the future.

Posted via Android Central App

I hear what you're saying, but at any time, I can add 2GB to our plan for an extra $10, which is just an additional dollar per month per person. And even though MY usage may go up, having a pool of 16GB to split between all of us should really suffice. I'll report back after the first few months and let you know how the data use is going. Maybe we'll even lower it to 14 or 12 GB if we can.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay