Thinking about switching from Sprint to Verizon. Have a question...

BPHusker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am sick and tired of the slow data speeds on Sprint and am thinking of paying the ETF and going to Verizon. Instead of signing up for a contract and getting an S4, I am thinking about trying to find a used S3 or Droid DNA and porting my Sprint number over and signing up. Is that possible? I want to switch to Verizon now, but really don't want to enter into a contract being only 6-8 months away from the S5 or the next HTC.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes it's possible. If you bring your own equipment a contract is not needed, but make sure you state no contract and watch to make sure your not put into a contract, I did this and I looked online and seen there was a contract date, took a few calls to get it off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

BPHusker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There's a few phones I've been looking at on Swappa. A few of the good ones are rooted and I was wondering if Verizon will flip out if I bring in a rooted phone to get activated.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Well you could try to ask the seller to restore, but unless there's something really out of the ordinary, or you get a bad rep, it won't matter.

There are just so many different things you can do on Android without rooting that you can probably just get by with saying that you downloaded such-and-such app to customize it. The splash screen/boot animation of Paranoid Android freaked out one of the reps I went to, but she just assumed I put it on there and didn't deny activation.

Now, when I went to Sprint to sell someone one of my phones, I had some sort of launcher on it to mimic ICS at the time, but the phone was not rooted (currently). The reps completely turned the guy away saying that it was a hacked phone and they couldn't activate it. But then I just stepped out side and disabled the launcher and went back in and they activated it....

BPHusker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought a used S3 and should be getting it Monday. Anyway, do I need to do anything with my Sprint account or when I port the number to Verizon does that cancel the account? I'm assuming I get a final sprint bill with the monthly bill and an ETF?

Posted via Android Central App

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought a used S3 and should be getting it Monday. Anyway, do I need to do anything with my Sprint account or when I port the number to Verizon does that cancel the account? I'm assuming I get a final sprint bill with the monthly bill and an ETF?

The port happens when you contact Verizon (either over the phone [recommended] or online.) When you port your number, Sprint will get notified, and then they will send you a final bill with ETF, etc. I didn't have ETF, but this is what happened to me when I left T-Mobile. They sent me a bill and I paid it.

If you are willing to pay ETF, just give VZW's customer service a call and follow your earlier instructions to make sure you, yourself, are not on a contract since you're bringing in your own device.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Just to add in a bit more, you do not need to talk with Sprint. Just follow Verizon's port-in process and the line will close with Sprint automatically when port-in is complete.

BPHusker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was planning on just heading into a Verizon store to make the switch since that seems easiest. Is that the best way?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was planning on just heading into a Verizon store to make the switch since that seems easiest. Is that the best way?

Yep. Tell them you want to port your number from Sprint. They can do it for you.. And then you're good to go. This will then auto cancel the Sprint line and Sprint will send you a bill with the ETF attached. I just did this same thing but with T-Mobile 2 months ago.

Sprint can take up to 60 days to send you the final bill with the ETF... Just FYI. Stupid I know but that can happen.. Took me almost a month to receive my last bill from them with the ETF.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
How much more is verizon for a single line as opposed to sprint? I'm a seroP member and I pay 58 a month.

It will depend on how much data you use/want. It'll be $40 for smartphone text/voice access + additional for data.

I used to be on SERO-P as well, but since I'm on Verizon with a lot of other people, my portion of the bill is like $50. It's not really worth ditching SERO for Verizon unless you need the coverage in your area. But that's another discussion...

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Alot more than 58 a month lol..

I hear about 100 for a single line.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

It will depend on how much data you use/want. It'll be $40 for smartphone text/voice access + additional for data.

I used to be on SERO-P as well, but since I'm on Verizon with a lot of other people, my portion of the bill is like $50. It's not really worth ditching SERO for Verizon unless you need the coverage in your area. But that's another discussion...

It's just a single plan but I get very slow data period. I'm tired of it smh

I

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Last year (2012) my Sprint service went from bad to worse but now... Hour north of Detroit and 4g is just popping up all over. Really liking what i'm seeing from Sprint these days

GoldenEagle06

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Last year (2012) my Sprint service went from bad to worse but now... Hour north of Detroit and 4g is just popping up all over. Really liking what i'm seeing from Sprint these days

They have activated one 4G tower near me. Tested it out the other day and was happy with the speed. However sprint tells me it will be another 3 to 4 months before more of the area is up and running. Contact ends end of October. Not sure if I am switching to VZW or not.

BPHusker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How much more is verizon for a single line as opposed to sprint? I'm a seroP member and I pay 58 a month.

Man, I pay $95 for Sprint. Verizon will be about $10 more but the data speeds and coverage overall should be better and I get a larger employer discount as well.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
They have activated one 4G tower near me. Tested it out the other day and was happy with the speed. However sprint tells me it will be another 3 to 4 months before more of the area is up and running. Contact ends end of October. Not sure if I am switching to VZW or not.

I had faster LTE speeds on Sprint than I get now on Verizon, but since the service was more spotty, I would drop to 3G far more often than I would on Verizon. It will really depend on your specific area and the coverage. If your contract is up, and you aren't having a horrible experience, you might as well wait it out and see how the service develops before jumping ship.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781