SOLVED Unlimited Data but I cannot use wireless hub

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
SOLVED I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and don't use an unreasonable amount of data. I pay full price for my phones. I couldn't believe it when vzw rep told me I cannot turn on their wireless hub app for a monthly fee. Why would they want to force me to pay foxfi rather than them? Its stupid. Rep told me had I activated it I would have irreversibly lost unlimited data and automatically been put on 2 gig plan. Amazing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Unlimited Data but I cannot use wireless hub

That rep is mistaken. You can add Unlimited Mobile Hotspot to your device. Just sign into My Verizon and add it in the Features section. You will not lose unlimited data.
e9amyvud.jpg

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You should be able to get unlimited tethering if I'm not mistaken. That rep is wrong I believe.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I just assumed another person's unlimited data line and added that to my plan. Then bought a Jetpack 890. Then had fun on my laptop on the road. It's actually much better than tethering from the phone (which makes it run hot, whether you pay $30 more like a moron, or root it and get Android WiFi tethering.) Problem solved, for me at least.

I might want to get another Jetpack that has the same size SIM as a tablet. The Jetpack I have has a full sized SIM (2FF.) However, since I don't have a 4G tablet, I'm ok.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

That rep is mistaken. You can add Unlimited Mobile Hotspot to your device. Just sign into My Verizon and add it in the Features section. You will not lose unlimited data. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/05/e9amyvud.jpg

I called twice. Spoke to two differe t phone reps. Both said if I activate it I will irreversibly lose unlimited data. They were very certain. If I try it and get screwed they are on record as telling me. Makes me very reluctant. They said I COULD have activated and kept it had I enrolled b4 feb 1 but now I cannot.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I called twice. Spoke to two differe t phone reps. Both said if I activate it I will irreversibly lose unlimited data. They were very certain. If I try it and get screwed they are on record as telling me. Makes me very reluctant. They said I COULD have activated and kept it had I enrolled b4 feb 1 but now I cannot.

If you try to add it online and there will be a data plan switch it has to notify you and change the plan. If not you SHOULD have 14 days to revert back. You would have to agree to an unlimited data change which they tried to get you tondo over the phone. Besides, didn't the FCC say they can't charge you for Hotspot on tiered plans? So why would you pay them $30? Verizon gives no such warning as you can see here.
y7a9amab.jpg

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Image appears to not show above...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380919151753.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380919151753.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 57

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

If you try to add it online and there will be a data plan switch it has to notify you and change the plan. If not you SHOULD have 14 days to revert back. You would have to agree to an unlimited data change which they tried to get you tondo over the phone. Besides, didn't the FCC say they can't charge you for Hotspot on tiered plans? So why would you pay them $30? Verizon gives no such warning as you can see here. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/05/y7a9amab.jpg

I'm not rooted. If I want hotspot I HAVE to pay. I find foxfi undependable. I only use wifi hub during emergencies (like power outages) so when I need it to work I NEED it to work. I guess I'll try calling back. I'm not comfortable trying to activate on my own without the go ahead. I pay a LOT of money to buy phones at full price so I don't want to do that then risk losing unlimited data.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm not rooted. If I want hotspot I HAVE to pay. I find foxfi undependable. I only use wifi hub during emergencies (like power outages) so when I need it to work I NEED it to work. I guess I'll try calling back. I'm not comfortable trying to activate on my own without the go ahead. I pay a LOT of money to buy phones at full price so I don't want to do that then risk losing unlimited data.

Depends on the phone, but on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II and Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, I can use the stock hotspot app, but activated by a third party widget

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

You're lucky

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Could you go into the My Verizon app and post similar screen shots like Eclipse2K did?

Posted via Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I think those representatives you're speaking to are incorrect. I just called to verify for you and I was told that I would keep my unlimited data if I added the Hotspot.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I think those representatives you're speaking to are incorrect. I just called to verify for you and I was told that I would keep my unlimited data if I added the Hotspot.

Thanks for checking for me. They even gave me a date after which it was too late and explained I could have used it if turned on before that date. Talk about being full of it... how could they both dream up the same specific reason I couldn't turn it on? Weird. I'll call again now to see what they say.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for checking for me. They even gave me a date after which it was too late and explained I could have used it if turned on before that date. Talk about being full of it... how could they both dream up the same specific reason I couldn't turn it on? Weird. I'll call again now to see what they say.

Verizon wants people off unlimited and over the phone they can get you to agree to the change. There is no "trick" option online so it doesn't change. I had the Unlimited Hotspot on my account for about two days back in June and I believe you said February was the cutoff. That right there is messed up.

Your Mobile Hotspot and Data package are 2 different features. Heck, their even under different categories. Unless the website specifically says you're changing the data package then you're not. As I said above the representative would change your data package to a 2 GB manually because you "agreed" to do so. Doesn't mean that's how it is REQUIRED to work but its what the representative was doing.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

iWell they made no change. I called about a month ago and still have unlimited data. Didn't seem they were offering me a new plan... just flat out said my plan no longer allows hotspot. I tried to call again tonight to ask but no telephone help after 11 pm. I didn't know that. I was simply going to enable it from my phone but the warning is generic. Yes, I actually am changing my plan because I'm adding a feature. It warns plan costs money and is a change in plan but nothing about losing unlimited data. As soon as Insaw the words change plan I backed out. Never tried from computer. When I go in to check out note 3 I'll ask corporate store tech assistance to explain how to safely turn hotspot on and off while keeping my data plan.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

iWell they made no change. I called about a month ago and still have unlimited data. Didn't seem they were offering me a new plan... just flat out said my plan no longer allows hotspot. I tried to call again tonight to ask but no telephone help after 11 pm. I didn't know that. I was simply going to enable it from my phone but the warning is generic. Yes, I actually am changing my plan because I'm adding a feature. It warns plan costs money and is a change in plan but nothing about losing unlimited data. As soon as Insaw the words change plan I backed out. Never tried from computer. When I go in to check out note 3 I'll ask corporate store tech assistance to explain how to safely turn hotspot on and off while keeping my data plan.

You're changing the features on your plan which will increase the monthly cost. Unless it specifically states that you're changing your data plan then you have nothing to worry about. I do understand why you're so cautious though and I don't blame you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I just tried adding unlimited mhs online via my Verizon , and it still showed UDP afterwards.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I just tried adding unlimited mhs online via my Verizon , and it still showed UDP afterwards.

$30 additional dollars a month for what should be done for free? smdh....

But again though, I'd rather have a Jetpack. I'm wouldn't paying $30 a month to have my phone become a space heater. Tethering makes phones run hot, at least the ones I've used. Not to mention the battery drain.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I just want it for power outages.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

$30 additional dollars a month for what should be done for free? smdh....

But again though, I'd rather have a Jetpack. I'm wouldn't paying $30 a month to have my phone become a space heater. Tethering makes phones run hot, at least the ones I've used. Not to mention the battery drain.

It is an option, some devices require root or third party apps, not everyone is willing to use them. And say that you use 100gb mhs, Verizon unlimited mhs is way cheaper at $30 than say tmobile which would probably run you over 10x as much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar