Using unlimited data for home internet and TV?

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I know there's people out there that do this. I'm contemplating canceling home internet and cable and using my phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot for everything.
My only questions are, what do you about live TV and catching shows on premium channels like Showtime and HBO? And does Netflix or hulu offer shows like the Walking Dead the same day it's aired on the network?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

April920

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Check out Jetflicks for shows like walking dead and other cable shows. You can either pay monthly or yearly.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you want shows right away then Netflix isn't for you. They won't add a show until the season is over. I don't mind since I prefer to watch the whole season at once, but it isn't what you need

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
If you want shows right away then Netflix isn't for you. They won't add a show until the season is over. I don't mind since I prefer to watch the whole season at once, but it isn't what you need

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Do you use your phone as a hotspot or o one of those little mobile hotspot boxes?

Also, a subscription to Netflix, hulu, and anything else together would still probably be cheaper than HD cable with premium channels. I currently have AT&T U-verse 300 with the Showtime and other movie channels package and U-verse internet. It's not cheap, but it's way better than cable.
I got to thinking about it today after I plugged my laptop to the TV to watch old Dr. Who episodes and my home Wi-Fi was running too slow. I Wi-Fi tethered my laptop to my phone and it was blazing. Went to speedtest.net and Wi-Fi tether to my phone was nearly twice as fast as my home internet. I could use my phone for Xbox and home internet. If I could find a reliable solution to catch live TV in HD online, I could probably ditch them altogether.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you use your phone as a hotspot or o one of those little mobile hotspot boxes?

Also, a subscription to Netflix, hulu, and anything else together would still probably be cheaper than HD cable with premium channels. I currently have AT&T U-verse 300 with the Showtime and other movie channels package and U-verse internet. It's not cheap, but it's way better than cable.
I got to thinking about it today after I plugged my laptop to the TV to watch old Dr. Who episodes and my home Wi-Fi was running too slow. I Wi-Fi tethered my laptop to my phone and it was blazing. Went to speedtest.net and Wi-Fi tether to my phone was nearly twice as fast as my home internet. I could use my phone for Xbox and home internet. If I could find a reliable solution to catch live TV in HD online, I could probably ditch them altogether.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Just so you know mobile Internet isn't meant for online gaming. The NAT isn't going to be open and your Ping will be sky high. Sure your download and upload speeds are great but that isn't the main factor in online gaming. But to each their own though so long as it doesn't effect other players. :)

I'm assuming you're using ATT for home internet. That would explain why your connection runs at a snails pace. :p

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

April920

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have cable. I cut the cord a long time ago but I do still have optimum online. I use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon instant and Jetflicks. Oh n a jailbroken Apple TV with Xbmc installed. You should check out Xbmc for TV shows and movies it's completely free.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know mobile Internet isn't meant for online gaming. The NAT isn't going to be open and your Ping will be sky high. Sure your download and upload speeds are great but that isn't the main factor in online gaming. But to each their own though so long as it doesn't effect other players. :)

I'm assuming you're using ATT for home internet. That would explain why your connection runs at a snails pace. :p

Well, I'm paying for 6 Mbps, but I generally get 7.5 Mbps. LTE is nearly double that. Speedtest.net is showing similar ping times. I've played many games on Xbox live with no lag using my home internet. I should go pick up a Wi-Fi receiver for my Xbox and see how it fairs on Wi-Fi tether.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm paying for 6 Mbps, but I generally get 7.5 Mbps. LTE is nearly double that. Speedtest.net is showing similar ping times. I've played many games on Xbox live with no lag using my home internet. I should go pick up a Wi-Fi receiver for my Xbox and see how it fairs on Wi-Fi tether.

You would need to run a ping test to the farthest part of the United States (if you're from there) from home to see how it fares. Comcast for me (58 Down, 11 Up with single digit ping locally) never reaches above 75 when I go from Illinois to California. That's considered great. Every little bit added to a Ping has a negative effect on the experience and it may effect others even if it doesn't effect you. All depends on the way the game is set up.

Just so you know Xbox Live gaming uses under 1 Mbps for gaming. It will not use anything else because its capped there. That may change with the Xbox One but I can't confirm or deny. But whatever option is best go for it. My friend has CenturyLink and the lag is ridiculous. Home isn't always better but be aware connecting to friends with LTE may be difficult because of NAT issues.

Also, Ping spikes are a huge problem. Google "How to check Ping in Command Prompt" and run tests to random servers. Those Ping sites do a quick test but what I normally do is ping a server 100x and watch for any jumps. I once was losing packets but the PingTest.net site didn't show it. Doing this test showed pings in the 30s to Google.com and random spikes between 200-2300 milliseconds. That was rough...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn