When buying in store, is the csr supposed to stay with you until the phone is activated?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, I got my note 3 for $90 today,the csr just put the sim card in and turned the phone on and told me to wait a minute for it to activate and walked away. The phone wasn't activated when he left. Is this normal?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So, I got my note 3 for $90 today,the csr just put the sim card in and turned the phone on and told me to wait a minute for it to activate and walked away. The phone wasn't activated when he left. Is this normal?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4
Anytime I purchased a phone in the store the CSR always stuck around until the phone was activated.Once one of my phones didnt activate and the CSR never left for very long he might have walked away to get something but came right back.
The reason my phone took awhile to activate was the fact that they was busy and accidently stuck the wrong sim card in the phone,so the number didnt matched as being correct sim card for my phone.Once the correct card was put in it activated just fine.
Another time there was a different issue but to make a long story not as long I will leave out those details.
The CSR should never walk away from you permanently until the phone is activated. Although they may walk away briefly but should come back .

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
While I would not say it's "normal", it depends on how dedicated/greedy the rep is. If they're just looking out for themselves, having you wait and picking up another customer while the phone is activating is beneficial for them as then can queue up another sale right away.

It is definitely poor customer service, and while I can handle activation on my own, it would still bug me and I would either leave a bad review or bring up the issue with management. I'd rather them say, "you're good to go" and leave the store before it finished activating than just being told to wait and see them talk with someone else.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
If you opted for an in store pickup and didn't buy any accessories that sale basically did nothing for that rep, meaning he didn't make any money on it. In fact you likely hurt his numbers on the performance metrics they are measured on. That's probably why the CSR left you high and dry. I do agree that is an example of poor service; but you just benefitted hugely from a system glitch. I'd call that a win.

Sent from New Jersey. now Free

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you opted for an in store pickup and didn't buy any accessories that sale basically did nothing for that rep, meaning he didn't make any money on it. In fact you likely hurt his numbers on the performance metrics they are measured on. That's probably why the CSR left you high and dry. I do agree that is an example of poor service; but you just benefitted hugely from a system glitch. I'd call that a win.

Sent from New Jersey. now Free

I would be more than happy to buy it in store if they were willing to keep the same price. But if I came in asking for the note 3 at $90,they would probably just laugh.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
What happens, say, when a phone is purchased at Costco on contract and shipped? In order to get a discount, it has to be activated on the line eligible for upgrade, but how could Costco know on which line the phone will be actually activated when received?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What happens, say, when a phone is purchased at Costco on contract and shipped? In order to get a discount, it has to be activated on the line eligible for upgrade, but how could Costco know on which line the phone will be actually activated when received?

Verizon would notify Costco you no longer have the phone on the line and broke their agreement.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
First off a lot of stores have two positions. The one you are referring to as a CSR is a Customer Service Rep, non-commission hourly employee. Unless they are looking to get into sales, they are normally not there to make sales, but to address billing issues and non sales related transactions. Now they do however handle some sales transactions, but there are the RSR (Retail Sales Rep) positions that are there and are on commission. Where you in a corporate location or a privately owned authorized retailer? Either way, I know in the corporate store whoever is helping you should never walk away until you leave basically.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
First off a lot of stores have two positions. The one you are referring to as a CSR is a Customer Service Rep, non-commission hourly employee. Unless they are looking to get into sales, they are normally not there to make sales, but to address billing issues and non sales related transactions. Now they do however handle some sales transactions, but there are the RSR (Retail Sales Rep) positions that are there and are on commission. Where you in a corporate location or a privately owned authorized retailer? Either way, I know in the corporate store whoever is helping you should never walk away until you leave basically.

Definitely a corporate store.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Some people call any rep a CSR, but yeah that distinction exists. I took for granted that the OP was calling the sales rep a CSR.

Sent from New Jersey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49