is it worth keeping unlimited data if i'm not using it? i don't know when or if ever i'll use that much. i only use about 1.5 max it seems.

reason i'm asking is because i want to try the edge program which means i'll lose my unlimited and put in the 6gb for the same price. i can't really see myself streaming movies on my phone over the network, and since foxfi no longer works, i can't use it as an internet source for when my home internet goes down. plus i prefer watching stuff when i'm at home on the big screen. if i do decide to use the network more, it'll probably be only for pandora streaming, some youtube, but no heavy downloads. i usually do that on my home computer and anything i want to transfer to my phone i just transfer via usb cable. part of my network usage is due to battery saving. takes a lot of battery when i'm on 4g because of signal issues. so even with the maxx, instead of getting 16 hours, i would only get 8 if i keep it on 4g. also, part of how i use the network is probably due to how fast my razr maxx is with things. i don't really download things on to it directly since that takes longer to not only navigate through but to actually download compared to home computer. so would moving to the droid maxx change my usage enough that i'll end up going near or over 6bg a month?

thanks. i really want to get a new phone. was ready to pay full price but looking at how the edge plan works and even a new contract, the option to let go of my unlimited keeps getting more enticing especially since it's not being properly utilized.
    10-21-2013 07:23 PM
    is it worth keeping unlimited data if i'm not using it? i don't know when or if ever i'll use that much. i only use about 1.5 max it seems.

reason i'm asking is because i want to try the edge program which means i'll lose my unlimited and put in the 6gb for the same price. i can't really see myself streaming movies on my phone over the network, and since foxfi no longer works, i can't use it as an internet source for when my home internet goes down. plus i prefer watching stuff when i'm at home on the big screen. if i do decide to use the network more, it'll probably be only for pandora streaming, some youtube, but no heavy downloads. i usually do that on my home computer and anything i want to transfer to my phone i just transfer via usb cable. part of my network usage is due to battery saving. takes a lot of battery when i'm on 4g because of signal issues. so even with the maxx, instead of getting 16 hours, i would only get 8 if i keep it on 4g. also, part of how i use the network is probably due to how fast my razr maxx is with things. i don't really download things on to it directly since that takes longer to not only navigate through but to actually download compared to home computer. so would moving to the droid maxx change my usage enough that i'll end up going near or over 6bg a month?

thanks. i really want to get a new phone. was ready to pay full price but looking at how the edge plan works and even a new contract, the option to let go of my unlimited keeps getting more enticing especially since it's not being properly utilized.
    IMO it's worth keeping even if your usage is on the low side because it can change down the road and there's no getting back unlimited data once you let it go. There are way to get a new phone such as swappa, eBay or opening a second line or if you know someone who is eligible to upgrade but isn't wanting a new phone and doesn't mind you getting a phone via their line. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it
    10-21-2013 07:40 PM
    So, there are ways of upgrading and keeping unlimited, so that could be a possibility if it is a priority. That being said, if you look at your account stats for the last 9 months or so and are never getting close to 2-3, then 6 is pretty close to the same thing as unlimited, right? It's 3x the 2GB cap you'd fit in and 4x your actual max. Considerations: If you get a newer device, it works faster/smoother, you use it more. Will your data usage go up? Probably, unclear by how much. Then, how will data change over the next few years. More systematic sync integration can raise the potential of our smart devices by a lot, but they have to talk to the cloud to do so. IMO it's worth pondering for a moment and perhaps reading about what the options are for retaining unlimited, but while I fight to keep mine, we gave my wife's up in 2011 for a 4GB plan and it's way more than enough for her.
    Johnly likes this.
    10-21-2013 07:44 PM
    So, there are ways of upgrading and keeping unlimited, so that could be a possibility if it is a priority. That being said, if you look at your account stats for the last 9 months or so and are never getting close to 2-3, then 6 is pretty close to the same thing as unlimited, right? It's 3x the 2GB cap you'd fit in and 4x your actual max. Considerations: If you get a newer device, it works faster/smoother, you use it more. Will your data usage go up? Probably, unclear by how much. Then, how will data change over the next few years. More systematic sync integration can raise the potential of our smart devices by a lot, but they have to talk to the cloud to do so. IMO it's worth pondering for a moment and perhaps reading about what the options are for retaining unlimited, but while I fight to keep mine, we gave my wife's up in 2011 for a 4GB plan and it's way more than enough for her.
    yea that's why i still can't give it up because on one hand i can see that i don't really need it now, but as i mentioned to someone else before that with newer phones, my usage might change. sometimes it makes decision making difficult when you can see both sides of the coin and they equally have weight. my first instinct was to just buy the phone full retail at $500. was told that i could put 450 on to my bill just so that i can split it into more payments. that'll make it so that i can pay maybe $100 more a month and be able to pay it off in 4 or so months which enables me to retain my unlimited. so far this is the decision i keep going back to because its the only one which enables me to retain my current data plus kind of get the benefit of the edge, except larger payments over shorter period of time.
    10-22-2013 01:07 AM
    Is it the only line on the account?

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    10-22-2013 02:56 AM
    Is it the only line on the account?

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    yep
    10-22-2013 03:56 AM
    There is also a device payment plan if you're considering full retail anyways, which is even payments over 12 months + $2 fee per month with the 1st due at signing. Cheaper options include waiting for an awesome sale at Best Buy and using their 0% interest option.

In conjunction with the 0% awesome sale thing, sometimes the difference between the sale price - rebates + an EFT is pretty huge. Opening a new line is sometimes an option that makes sense. For example, if the device is $650 and usually on sale for $199 but you get it on sale for $99 + a $50 giftcard (to you), an EFT of $350 makes that a $400 device net (not including taxes). 2x the normal on contract price.

The other thought, the Edge plan is basically a constantly paying x% of full retail, basically forever, with the benefit being you're always on the latest greatest phone. If you can make that sustainable on 6GB... the way I understand it, you're never actually on contract. That might be a really good move, because if your data starts creeping up, you have all the time in the world to monitor and hop carriers (setting it up to your advantage) or to add more data.
    10-22-2013 04:32 AM