Question About VoLTE and Nexus

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know a ton about how the carriers work and everything. I'm hoping somebody with more knowledge than me will be able to educate me. Right now I was hoping to get the Nexus 5 on Verizon, but that doesn't look like it will happen. I still have one year left on my contract. Now I've decided if Verizon doesn't get a Nexus or similar phone on their network (basically cheap when unsubsidized and open to let me use all the Google apps) then I will be leaving for another carrier. Now, I started reading about the plans to roll out VoLTE over the next year. One of the questions is how long can this take? Is it simply a matter of flipping a switch for their already established LTE? Then my thought is if VoLTE is everywhere next year perhaps I will be able to get a Nexus when my contract is up and Verizon wouldn't be able to block the voice.

I know I can switch carriers, but in my area Verizon unquestionably has the best coverage. If I have to give that up to do what I want with my device then I will (I know I can root, but that is not an option for me).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The way I understand it, devices will have to be specifically made to function on VoLTE, but Verizon hasn't been explicitly clear on their plans in this regard. Getting the Nexus and anticipating using it on Verizon is not going to work out well. The Nexus device, as far as I know, does not support Band 13 LTE, which is the majority of Verizon's LTE spectrum. A similar look/feel and priced device is the Moto X. It will be priced in the same range at least through Feb 14th, for which a 16GB will be 329.99 and 32GB will be 379.99. Details can be found here: Motorola - A Google Company

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Don't Worry... CDMA Voice/3G is scheduled to be Turned off, Converted to LTE by 2025... VoLTE Will be flipped on COMPANY WIDE This year... So AFTER VoLTE is finally live company Wide You will start to see VoLTE ONLY Phones being Released there after....

Beware Though!!! VoLTE Will be on a DIFFERENT Plan Structure then current! As Voice calls will no longer be counted as MINUTES but as usage on your DATA PLAN... So most customers who still have CDMA/LTE Devices after They switch to VoLTE Only Devices will try and HOLD OUT from Upgrading as long as possible (ME).... Unless for some odd reason the new plans are Cheaper then current.... (Note i said ODD Reason)

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't Worry... CDMA Voice/3G is scheduled to be Turned off, Converted to LTE by 2025... VoLTE Will be flipped on COMPANY WIDE This year... So AFTER VoLTE is finally live company Wide You will start to see VoLTE ONLY Phones being Released there after....

Beware Though!!! VoLTE Will be on a DIFFERENT Plan Structure then current! As Voice calls will no longer be counted as MINUTES but as usage on your DATA PLAN... So most customers who still have CDMA/LTE Devices after They switch to VoLTE Only Devices will try and HOLD OUT from Upgrading as long as possible (ME).... Unless for some odd reason the new plans are Cheaper then current.... (Note i said ODD Reason)

If that's true that sucks. They will have to either up the amount of data that you get for the price or who in their right mind would switch to VOLTE? It would chew through data pretty quickly. That 2 GB isn't going to go very far.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Just Search VoLTE Data Plans, Most of the results will come up AT&T! Most Sites if you google "How much data would an VoLTE Voice Call Use" Talk about AT&T, and the Quality of their VoLTE making a phone call about 1.44MB per Minute... Or 6,000 Minutes Per GIG! Standard Texts would be roughly 6,250 takes up about 1mb.. Which is nothing... Now Verizon has HIGHER Quality VoLTE... So Except less then that for voice!... I only use roughly 200 or less Minutes a month.. .So i am not worried! Again.. No one knows for sure... Its all Estimates based on the quality of the networks and the kbps Rate at which the carrier will have the calls run at

One of the bigger problems is the COST of the bills! All Voice, Data and Text/MMS will be sent Digitally over VoLTE... Which is why they slowly eliminated Texting Packages.....

Last edited:

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Better than I expected, but could still be an annoyance if you already get close to the data plan's cap (if you have one). I agree on cost. If I am paying $70 for my data and voice then all of my stuff goes through data, no longer using voice, in theory my cost should be cheaper....

I still don't have an unlimited texting package. I refuse to pay the $20, partially on principal and partially because the majority of people I know use Hangouts.