Upgrade Help

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade my aging Droid Razr for a newer smartphone (also from Verizon) however I am still grandfathered into unlimited data and would like to keep it. I was reading around online and through the forums looking for methods to upgrade and came across a lot of great information but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation. My family has a family share plan with 3 lines (NOT the new share everything, the old style plan with just shared minutes and text) and currently we have 2 lines with unlimited and one on a 2gb data bucket (this is my Mother's phone, she had unlimited but when the Droid Mini was released, she decided to finally throw in the towel and ditch unlimited in order to get rid of her Droid 2). Seeing as she JUST upgraded her phone 1-2 months ago, is it possible for me to transfer the upgrade from my line onto her line, upgrade as tho we were just normally upgrading her phone, and then switch sim cards (I already have a 4G LTE sim card from my Droid Razr) so that I have the new phone and she has her Droid Mini back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade my aging Droid Razr for a newer smartphone (also from Verizon) however I am still grandfathered into unlimited data and would like to keep it. I was reading around online and through the forums looking for methods to upgrade and came across a lot of great information but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation. My family has a family share plan with 3 lines (NOT the new share everything, the old style plan with just shared minutes and text) and currently we have 2 lines with unlimited and one on a 2gb data bucket (this is my Mother's phone, she had unlimited but when the Droid Mini was released, she decided to finally throw in the towel and ditch unlimited in order to get rid of her Droid 2). Seeing as she JUST upgraded her phone 1-2 months ago, is it possible for me to transfer the upgrade from my line onto her line, upgrade as tho we were just normally upgrading her phone, and then switch sim cards (I already have a 4G LTE sim card from my Droid Razr) so that I have the new phone and she has her Droid Mini back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think you can do it that way. Would still be best to talk to a carrier rep first.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think you can do it that way. Would still be best to talk to a carrier rep first.

Don't talk to a carrier rep most likely, if you ask about unlimited they will give you the company line which is that you would lose unlimited. Basically just transfer the unlimited upgrade to the non unlimited line, activate on that line then move it to your unlimited line

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Don't talk to a carrier rep most likely, if you ask about unlimited they will give you the company line which is that you would lose unlimited. Basically just transfer the unlimited upgrade to the non unlimited line, activate on that line then move it to your unlimited line

Thanks all for the quick reply! As to the switching of the devices, would there be any issues with the SIM cards? I have my original SIM card that came with my Thunderbolt and then was put into my current Droid Razr while my mother has whatever came in the Droid Mini. Would the SIM cards between my Razr, her Mini and whatever new phone I get cause any issues or would the Verizon reps hook me up with whatever I needed with minimal questions?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the quick reply! As to the switching of the devices, would there be any issues with the SIM cards? I have my original SIM card that came with my Thunderbolt and then was put into my current Droid Razr while my mother has whatever came in the Droid Mini. Would the SIM cards between my Razr, her Mini and whatever new phone I get cause any issues or would the Verizon reps hook me up with whatever I needed with minimal questions?

Depends. I know the Droid Maxx uses a SIM card that's smaller than a dime so you may need to switch it. Just do the upgrade process and then ask for the current SIM to be switched. If they say its not possible than ask for a new SIM.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Depends. I know the Droid Maxx uses a SIM card that's smaller than a dime so you may need to switch it. Just do the upgrade process and then ask for the current SIM to be switched. If they say its not possible than ask for a new SIM.

I just went and did a little digging around the internet and found that the Droid Razr I have was one of the first phones to use micro-sim cards and every new phone uses the same size so *hopefully* there won't be any issues on that front. At this point I'm just really hoping there will be no issues because my Droid Razr is driving me up the wall with all the freezing and slowness in general! Since everything is looking like it should work, what phone would be the best phone to get on VZW? I'm stuck between the Droid Ultra, HTC One, and S4!

Thanks again for the replies!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just went and did a little digging around the internet and found that the Droid Razr I have was one of the first phones to use micro-sim cards and every new phone uses the same size so *hopefully* there won't be any issues on that front. At this point I'm just really hoping there will be no issues because my Droid Razr is driving me up the wall with all the freezing and slowness in general! Since everything is looking like it should work, what phone would be the best phone to get on VZW? I'm stuck between the Droid Ultra, HTC One, and S4!

For me, the best phone is the note 3, since I want the large screen, microSD slot and removable battery. It really depends on what you want

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

You have a Micro-SIM (3FF) where as the new Droid phones run the Nano-SIM (4FF). The following image will help show the differences. The Nano-SIM is basically the size of the chip itself and nothing more.

http://www.everymac.com/images/other_images/nano-sim-sizes.jpg

Attachments

• nano-sim-sizes.jpg
    nano-sim-sizes.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 53

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying, it all makes sense now! I just hope the Verizon rep(s) don't give many any issues when asking for a new SIM card.

Posted via Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying, it all makes sense now! I just hope the Verizon rep(s) don't give many any issues when asking for a new SIM card.

Posted via Android Central App

They shouldn't. I used my dads upgrade who isn't even on my contract and did it. Just ask after you're done with the sale.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Now im just debating between phones! According to GSMArena's spec sheets for the HTC One and S4, they both use Micro-Sim (the same as I already have) and both phones have their pros / cons.