Buying a Phone Full Retail From Verizon and then Canceling Month to Month Plan

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It looks like the only way to buy a Verizon phone full retail if you are not currently a Verizon customer is to sign up for a month to month plan. If you do that and then cancel before activating the device, do you owe the activation fee and prorated charges? Or is that only if you activate the device?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the only way to buy a Verizon phone full retail if you are not currently a Verizon customer is to sign up for a month to month plan. If you do that and then cancel before activating the device, do you owe the activation fee and prorated charges? Or is that only if you activate the device?

Have you tried to call in?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I've seen people buy phones at full retail without going month to month. You should talk to a rep or something. That doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I've seen people buy phones at full retail without going month to month. You should talk to a rep or something. That doesn't make any sense.
But do they already have to be Verizon customers? What if you don't have a Verizon plan? Will they sell you a Verizon phone full retail price without a month to month plan?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3

In store they would probably hassle you, even if you already have an account. Online is a bit tricky too. But if you call in, then they should do it for you.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Umm....Its not worth the hit on your credit report to do this. You will have that hit for 2 years. Just an FYI if your score is important to you and having a hard look up done to you. Have someone you know buy the phone for you in the worst case! otherwise Best buy will do it too.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
In response to the OP, your activation fee is refunded if you cancel in 3 days of accepting the customer agreement. You will have to pay for whatever service you may have "used" but that should be minimal (couple dollars at most due to proration, 8 bucks before taxes and surcharges based on a 30 day month with a 500 mb data plan@40$ and smartphone access @40$).

Feel free to check behind me on this by reading VZW customer agreement and checking my math. As far as a credit score, I seriously doubt cancelation within 3 days is going to have an impact on it,if any. If there is a discrepancy, report it to the credit bureau and as long as you pay for the service "used" VZW has no reason to report it.

Posted via Android Central App

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
In response to the OP, your activation fee is refunded if you cancel in 3 days of accepting the customer agreement. You will have to pay for whatever service you may have "used" but that should be minimal (couple dollars at most due to proration, 8 bucks before taxes and surcharges based on a 30 day month with a 500 mb data plan@40$ and smartphone access @40$).

Feel free to check behind me on this by reading VZW customer agreement and checking my math. As far as a credit score, I seriously doubt cancelation within 3 days is going to have an impact on it,if any. If there is a discrepancy, report it to the credit bureau and as long as you pay for the service "used" VZW has no reason to report it.

Posted via Android Central App

They check your credit...Its dings your score. Simple as that. So even if you pay it its still a loss on your score.

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
They check your credit...Its dings your score. Simple as that. So even if you pay it its still a loss on your score.

VZW checks credit for the puprose of determing whether or not you need to have a security deposit. Checking your credit isn't so much what dings your credit, though:

FICO Credit Score Chart: How credit scores are calculated.

The only thing I could see cancelling after 3 days would be "payment history" in terms of length of time. That is IF they consider a cell phone bill a form of "credit". Personally, I don't live by a Fico score so it isn't a big concern for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL