Trying to save unlimited... will this work on a Loyalty Share plan?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Alternative upgrade upgrades the line first and then transfers the phone to the new line. You will lose unlimited data if you did this. Typically when you call in our do an upgrade in store, they will do this.
That's what happened to Simon when he called in to do the Comcast promo and that is why he was taken off of unlimited data.

Transferring the upgrade transfers the upgrade to the new line then applies the upgrade. This is what happens when you transfer th upgrade online, and allows you to retain unlimited data. Note that csr can do this method as well but based on what I read, most chose not to.
yeah, the comcast promo rep refused to do it. She knew she could do it that way, too, but refused because she was getting a commission for tricking someone off of unlimited. I told her off, lol!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.. from the "My Verizon" screen, I click on "Upgrade My Device". The next screen has me pick the line to upgrade. It then takes me to a screen to pick the phone. I went a few screens through the process and never saw where I could transfer the upgrade to another line.

Trying to understand how to do this online, as it will be my backup plan if things don't go my way in-store tonight.

It should be on the first upgrade page

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386958723980.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386958723980.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 11

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
It should be on the first upgrade page

Thanks for the screen shot! Ok, I'm not seeing that part of the screen. It's b/c I currently have the pending order on that new 3rd line that I added as part of the Comcast promo, isn't it? I'm not going to keep that line if I can do what I want with the 2 current lines.

Canceling that 3rd line and never having activated the phone... will they still charge me the $35 restocking fee? If I'm paying the restocking fee, then I might as well play with the phone a bit, I guess. Get something for my $35 bucks.

Here's another question... you guys have been awesome... can I transfer the upgrade from the unlimited to the 4gb line online and then go to a store and complete the upgrade. Trying to save a bundle in sales tax.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Canceling that 3rd line and never having activated the phone... will they still charge me the $35 restocking fee? If I'm paying the restocking fee, then I might as well play with the phone a bit, I guess. Get something for my $35 bucks.

Return Policy & Termination Fee | Verizon Wireless

can I transfer the upgrade from the unlimited to the 4gb line online and then go to a store and complete the upgrade.
No, you have to transfer and complete the order online otherwise, the upgrade goes back to the line it originated from.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like I'm on the hook for the $35 restocking fee. I'm assuming no usage or activation charges since the phone is not activated yet.
the comcast promo stated that the activation fee would be waived. I don't know when they start charging you for the data plan, so log onto your account and see if you are currently being billed and/or call and ask.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the screen shot! Ok, I'm not seeing that part of the screen. It's b/c I currently have the pending order on that new 3rd line that I added as part of the Comcast promo, isn't it? I'm not going to keep that line if I can do what I want with the 2 current lines.

Here's another question... you guys have been awesome... can I transfer the upgrade from the unlimited to the 4gb line online and then go to a store and complete the upgrade. Trying to save a bundle in sales tax.

Pending order could make the screen different. Restocking fee is charged if you return the phone.

Yes you can do it for in store pickup, but the in store rep may do it so that you lose unlimited, depending on how they process it. Most in store reps would not allow unlimited on the upgrade Line or the line which the upgrade came from. They can, they just chose not to. As said above, if the order isn't processed then the upgrade would return to the original line

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
the comcast promo stated that the activation fee would be waived. I don't know when they start charging you for the data plan, so log onto your account and see if you are currently being billed and/or call and ask.

Activation fee is waived if active for at least 30 days, I believe. Since I've learned I can do what I want to do with my original 2 lines,this new 3rd line is going back.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
So, my Upgrade Device screen looks like this. Notice there is no Transfer Upgrade section. Uh, oh...
That's because both lines are eligible for an upgrade. You can only transfer an upgrade if a phone line is not currently eligible for its own upgrade.

So you have no other option but to add a line. Your lines both have upgrades available on the same date. The transferring of updates will only work if the lines aren't eligible on the exact same date because you need to have a line without an upgrade available for this to work.

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
That's because both lines are eligible for an upgrade. You can only transfer an upgrade if a phone line is not currently eligible for its own upgrade.

So you have no other option but to add a line. Your lines both have upgrades available on the same date. The transferring of updates will only work if the lines aren't eligible on the exact same date because you need to have a line without an upgrade available for this to work.

D'oh! Key piece of info that I missed. Damn, and I already returned that 3rd line tonight. And the Comcast $200 promo is over too, I believe. Oh, well, guess my upgrade wasn't in the cards this time around.

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Hey, so how long do you have to wait before upgrading a phone again? Can I upgrade my 4gb line 1st, and then wait a day or two, then transfer the unlimited upgrade to the 4gb line? Once I upgrade the 4gb line, then my 2 lines will not have the same upgrade date. What do you think?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
D'oh! Key piece of info that I missed. Damn, and I already returned that 3rd line tonight. And the Comcast $200 promo is over too, I believe. Oh, well, guess my upgrade wasn't in the cards this time around.
No, I went back to the beginning of the thread. I thought you had 2 unlimited data lines, but you don't, you have one unlimited data line and one 4GB data line. So what you need to do is use the 4GB data line's upgrade. Then switch the new phone to your unlimited data line by putting the 4GB data line's phone back on the 4GB data line. Then when your wife is ready for an upgrade, transfer your unlimited data line's upgrade to her line.

I had 2 unlimited data lines so I had no option but to add a line. As long as there is a tiered data line on the account, this will work. But if the tiered data line has an upgrade available, you can't transfer an upgrade to it. You have to use the tiered data line's upgrade first then switch the new phone to the unlimited data line. Then when the person on the tiered data line wants a new phone, that is when you do the transfer of the upgrade from the unlimited data line to the tiered data line.

There is absolutely no worry at all of losing unlimited data if you use the tiered data line's upgrade to upgrade and then switch the new phone to the unlimited data line.

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
No, I went back to the beginning of the thread. I thought you had 2 unlimited data lines, but you don't, you have one unlimited data line and one 4GB data line. So what you need to do is use the 4GB data line's upgrade. Then switch the new phone to your unlimited data line by putting the 4GB data line's phone back on the 4GB data line. Then when your wife is ready for an upgrade, transfer your unlimited data line's upgrade to her line.

I had 2 unlimited data lines so I had no option but to add a line. As long as there is a tiered data line on the account, this will work. But if the tiered data line has an upgrade available, you can't transfer an upgrade to it. You have to use the tiered data line's upgrade first then switch the new phone to the unlimited data line. Then when the person on the tiered data line wants a new phone, that is when you do the transfer of the upgrade from the unlimited data line to the tiered data line.

There is absolutely no worry at all of losing unlimited data if you use the tiered data line's upgrade to upgrade and then switch the new phone to the unlimited data line.

Ok, this is good news. Can I do this all on the same day or will there need to be a lag? I'm leaning toward doing the 4gb line in-store to save the sales tax. I guess when I get home and if the Transfer Upgrade is available online, then I can go ahead and do it.

To switch the new phone to the unlimited, let me make sure I have the steps right... Once it is activated on my wife's line, then I'll shutdown the new phone, power on my wife's old phone and assign it back to her line. Then, I'll shutdown my phone and assign the freed up new phone to my line. Sound right? The moving of the phones between lines can be done online, is it down under the "Activate or Switch Device" screen?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this is good news. Can I do this all on the same day or will there need to be a lag? I'm leaning toward doing the 4gb line in-store to save the sales tax. I guess when I get home and if the Transfer Upgrade is available online, then I can go ahead and do it.

To switch the new phone to the unlimited, let me make sure I have the steps right... Once it is activated on my wife's line, then I'll shutdown the new phone, power on my wife's old phone and assign it back to her line. Then, I'll shutdown my phone and assign the freed up new phone to my line. Sound right? The moving of the phones between lines can be done online, is it down under the "Activate or Switch Device" screen?

Probably can't be done in a day. The 4gb line needs to be upgraded first. It may take a few days for the website to update to show that the phone upgrade has been completed.

Once the website allows you to transfer the upgrade then you can upgrade.

Since you want the same phone on both lines, get the Moto X on the 4gb line, activate and keep it there. Then wait until the system allows you to transfer upgrade, and transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line to the non unlimited line . Once you receive the second Moto X, activate it on the 4gb line, then take the sim from your current phone (razr?) and put it into the 1st moto x that you got

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Probably can't be done in a day. The 4gb line needs to be upgraded first. It may take a few days for the website to update to show that the phone upgrade has been completed.

Once the website allows you to transfer the upgrade then you can upgrade.

Since you want the same phone on both lines, get the Moto X on the 4gb line, activate and keep it there. Then wait until the system allows you to transfer upgrade, and transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line to the non unlimited line . Once you receive the second Moto X, activate it on the 4gb line, then take the sim from your current phone (razr?) and put it into the 1st moto x that you got

Thanks dpham00! These steps seems straight forward enough. I will brave the snowstorm today and give it a try on the 4gb line. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks!!

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

BTW, thanks DayThyme. Both you and dpham00 have been extremely helpful. Will give a try with the 4gb line today instore, if the snow isn't too bad.