Unlocking the Bootloader and Warranty/Asurion Insurance Questions

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Moto X Dev Ed that I understand I can unlock its bootloader and it will not void the warranty.

I just purchased my mom a Moto Maker Moto X and I understand if I unlock the bootloader on her device it will void the warranty.

My questions are:

1) are all warranty replacements through Verizon for the first year?
2) how will Verizon know I have unlocked the bootloader if I relock it?
3) if I have Asurion insurance on my mom's Moto X and I unlock the bootloader, how will Asurion know if I relock it?

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes all warranty is thru Verizon for the 1st year as far as I know.

As for unlocking the bootloader, yes it voids your warranty as long as its in the " unlocked and or rooted state ". So if you were to take it in for warranty Verizon has every right to deny you service.

But.. 99.9% of unlocking and rooting methods on any device have a way of removing any signs of tampering when you restore them back to full factory/locked state. So if done correctly the device can be warrantied or serviced without issue.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
When you device is unlocked and connected to a network it can transmit its unlocked status. Verizon keeps a log of these status changes. If they disclose this information to a 3rd party is unknown.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
One thing to remember is that Verizon probability didn't stock the dev ed, so the replacement maybe a regular one.

Also, legally speaking, the standard warranty is through the manufacturer or is designee. Verizon provides warranty devices as an added service but are not legally required to provide warranty replacement. If you have a dev ed, you can go directly to the manufacturer. The warranty provider should be in the warranty brochure that came with the phone

Now the extended warranty is a Verizon service, so you can't go through moto after the first year

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Asurion only covers accidental damage or theft not warranty issues. If your phone is stolen or falls in the ocean I doubt Asurion will check to see if bootloader is unlocked.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm