Anyone else thinking about breaking up with Verizon?

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
What internet are you reading? Because according to the internet the REST OF US are reading... they are planning to make an announcement in the next month or 2.... I actually read the internet everyday, and not just GOOGLE.... I research hard and deep....

#1, They are keeping it HUSH However they can to make sure they are not targeted any other ways...
#2. DT has told TMOBILE MANY TIMES, they need to find a buyer because DT is going to spin them of by 2015... so unless TMOBILE gets there act together.... THEY NEED A BUYER

havi007

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't matter how cheap the plan is if they are unreliable in malls,basements, buildings, and under a highway when u drive. Its not worth it. What's the point for paying 50 dollars for a phone u can switch out when ever you won't if the network blows. I love the concept but its bull**** network. And really if don't bring in your phone they are screwing you over. I had the t mobile in Houston even inside the loop I would get dropped calls. That's crap. Fix your network T-Mobile and they you can compete. Quit bashing the networks that work because you can even get on that level. I would want to be on t mobile but I need a working phone.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What internet are you reading? Because according to the internet the REST OF US are reading... they are planning to make an announcement in the next month or 2.... I actually read the internet everyday, and not just GOOGLE.... I research hard and deep....

#1, They are keeping it HUSH However they can to make sure they are not targeted any other ways...
#2. DT has told TMOBILE MANY TIMES, they need to find a buyer because DT is going to spin them of by 2015... so unless TMOBILE gets there act together.... THEY NEED A BUYER

Research harder and deeper than...

Fresh from CES. You're just assuming / guessing is all versus the facts online... And from the horses mouths.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-35284_1-57616905/t-mobile-ceo-throws-cold-water-on-sprint-take-over-rumors/

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

DINGSTER1

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Rick Bell. Need solid coverage, plus I've had my number for years and can't lost that

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Curious if anyone else is tempted to make the jump to T-Mobile. If anyone goes through with it today, how was the process? I'm still trying to figure out, what the hook is... deal seems too good to be true

Tmo is great if you live in the city. If you live somewhere they don't have high speed data, you'd be better off with a 1200 baud modem and a land line.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Tmo is great if you live in the city. If you live somewhere they don't have high speed data, you'd be better off with a 1200 baud modem and a land line.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

As with any carrier, you need to check to make sure they have service where you need it. Don't just assume that because tmobile has great service in the city , that it would have great service where you need it in the city, as this may not be true. Even 10-20' indoors difference can make a huge difference. This is not just about tmobile, really this applies to all carriers

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I switched from verizon to t-mobile this past summer and it's going well. I'm saving around $40 a month on service and I have unlimited highspeed data. I got a nexus 4 and even though it is 'only' HSPA+ 42 the speeds are better where I live than verizon's LTE was with my galaxy nexus. I consistently get 20-30mbps download in my apartment on T-Mobile's HSPA+ where verizon would barely go above 3mbps download. I live in a suburban area and haven't had any real coverage problems. Of course, when I visit family in rural NY t-mobile is very spotty...but that's what is good about a GSM carrier and having a phone for them. I can pop a pre-paid AT&T SIM into my phone and use that if I'm visiting family. So there are more options. If you're in a dead spot for verizon (like parts of Vermont) you're SOL. You can't just activate it on Sprint.

Travel is also so much better with t-mobile/gsm phone. T-mobile has free international data now. if you visit mexico or canada or europe you don't have to worry about crazy overages or asking for an unlock code and meeting some requirement. Even if you aren't where they have a partner that's where having a GSM phone comes in handy - I can pop a local pre-paid SIM in and get along fine.

Porting my number was also easy - you just need to remember to port your number before you call Verizon to cancel. If you cancel service with Verizon before starting a number port process with another carrier Verizon will simply repurpose your number and you'll lose it. When you do port your number it automatically cancels your service with Verizon. You may still get a final bill if it happens in the middle of a cycle.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I switched from verizon to t-mobile this past summer and it's going well. I'm saving around $40 a month on service and I have unlimited highspeed data. I got a nexus 4 and even though it is 'only' HSPA+ 42 the speeds are better where I live than verizon's LTE was with my galaxy nexus. I consistently get 20-30mbps download in my apartment on T-Mobile's HSPA+ where verizon would barely go above 3mbps download. I live in a suburban area and haven't had any real coverage problems. Of course, when I visit family in rural NY t-mobile is very spotty...but that's what is good about a GSM carrier and having a phone for them. I can pop a pre-paid AT&T SIM into my phone and use that if I'm visiting family. So there are more options. If you're in a dead spot for verizon (like parts of Vermont) you're SOL. You can't just activate it on Sprint.

Travel is also so much better with t-mobile/gsm phone. T-mobile has free international data now. if you visit mexico or canada or europe you don't have to worry about crazy overages or asking for an unlock code and meeting some requirement. Even if you aren't where they have a partner that's where having a GSM phone comes in handy - I can pop a local pre-paid SIM in and get along fine.

Porting my number was also easy - you just need to remember to port your number before you call Verizon to cancel. If you cancel service with Verizon before starting a number port process with another carrier Verizon will simply repurpose your number and you'll lose it. When you do port your number it automatically cancels your service with Verizon. You may still get a final bill if it happens in the middle of a cycle.

Why would you be sol? Most of Verizon's current 4GLTE smartphones are factory sim unlocked. My Verizon note 3 works on tmobile or ATT out of the box. Most tmobile and att phones are sim locked out of the box.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Why would you be sol? Most of Verizon's current 4GLTE smartphones are factory sim unlocked. My Verizon note 3 works on tmobile or ATT out of the box. Most tmobile and att phones are sim locked out of the box.

Is this true? I always thought that since Verizon is on CDMA for its voice calls, all of its phones rely on CDMA for voice, while they use LTE for data only. So even though Verizon phones have a SIM, that SIM is used for the GSM/LTE mobile data radio, but not for the voice calls.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, from what I'm reading on the web, as long as the Verizon phone is unlocked, it can use another carrier's SIM card and use its GSM radio for voice and data.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile CEO on Sprint Deal: ‘I Have a Couple Things to Say’ - Digits - WSJ

\Fresh from the WALL STREET JOURNAL... Also straight out of the horses mouth! The CEO saying he never said there WASNT a possibility... he said "If we do merge, which i never said we would cough cough.." "It would be Us Merging, and eliminating the SPRINT BRAND" They are also in talks with only taking parts of the SPRINT NETWORK they need, and helping DISH NETWORK Start up its Cellular NETWORK with the left overs, as a way to get the FCC to approve it...... This way, TMOBILE Gets what ever spectrum, coverage and Customers they want... and the rest will become the new 4TH CARRIER that the FCC so badly wants in the picture

That doesn't sound like its not gonna happen if they have all these PLANS AND IDEAS on what to do to get the FCC to except?

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
They would also CONSIDER, Merging with SPRINT... Converting it to all 1 network, but taking all of SPRINTS OLD FOOTPRINT and DOUBLE Branding it.... Making it part of the "TMOBILE NETWORK" But also letting DISH NETWORK Brand all of the SPRINT TOWERS as its own carrier...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, from what I'm reading on the web, as long as the Verizon phone is unlocked, it can use another carrier's SIM card and use its GSM radio for voice and data.

Like I said before, almost all current Verizon 4GLTE devices are factory sim unlocked. Some older phones were unlocked via update like the s3. Since they are unlocked, you just need to put in a compatible gsm sim and perhaps enter the apn.

This is in contrast to att and tmobile whose phones are sim locked from the factory but can be unlocked once you meet certain conditions like fulfill the terms of your contract (either service or device).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile CEO on Sprint Deal: ?I Have a Couple Things to Say? - Digits - WSJ

\Fresh from the WALL STREET JOURNAL... Also straight out of the horses mouth! The CEO saying he never said there WASNT a possibility... he said "If we do merge, which i never said we would cough cough.." "It would be Us Merging, and eliminating the SPRINT BRAND" They are also in talks with only taking parts of the SPRINT NETWORK they need, and helping DISH NETWORK Start up its Cellular NETWORK with the left overs, as a way to get the FCC to approve it...... This way, TMOBILE Gets what ever spectrum, coverage and Customers they want... and the rest will become the new 4TH CARRIER that the FCC so badly wants in the picture

That doesn't sound like its not gonna happen if they have all these PLANS AND IDEAS on what to do to get the FCC to except?

He TALKS about if they merged they would have SPECTRUM but he doesn't QUOTE some of the things you say. Such as him saying if they MERGED they would eliminate the SPRINT BRAND.... He doesn't say that quote anywhere in the article.

Please quote actual things from the article versus him talking about how he just sees them as a spectrum cow.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
This right here---> A deal with Sprint “would provide significant scale and capability,” Legere said. But, “the T-Mobile Uncarrier business, the people, the brand the attitude is here to stay. … I think what we’re doing in any scenario we will prevail.” Means, if they merge or not... The TMOBILE Brand would be the BRAND we see

You seem like one of those people.... When the entire world is talking about something... Your that one person, who will try to discredit it as much as you can... just to bring people down.... no? - just because it wasn't QUOTED, doesn't mean anything... It was made clear in the article that he SAID IT.. just because they didn't say "He was quoted saying".. Doesn't mean he didn't say it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Why don't we all just wait to see if there actually ends up being a deal between Sprint and T-Mobile? This kind of spirited discussion will end being kind of pointless when what actually happens happens. It's like all of those deathmatch threads that were speculating about the Moto X before it even came out.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This right here---> A deal with Sprint ?would provide significant scale and capability,? Legere said. But, ?the T-Mobile Uncarrier business, the people, the brand the attitude is here to stay. ? I think what we?re doing in any scenario we will prevail.? Means, if they merge or not... The TMOBILE Brand would be the BRAND we see

You seem like one of those people.... When the entire world is talking about something... Your that one person, who will try to discredit it as much as you can... just to bring people down.... no? - just because it wasn't QUOTED, doesn't mean anything... It was made clear in the article that he SAID IT.. just because they didn't say "He was quoted saying".. Doesn't mean he didn't say it

If he said it they QUOTE it. No reason to not... So I simply said what you quoted (you put the " not me) was not in there.

And discredit as much as I can? I'm not. I posted one article where he said no.. And then said what you quoted was not quoted.. That's not discredit.. That's simply you making things up that were not in the article. They were not quoted as words from the horses mouth.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hoping you guys will weigh in with your opinions regarding my situation. I didn't want to start a new thread, but I may post in the TMO forum later on.

I currently have several lines with VZW Unlimited Data and 1 Basic dumb line. I still have 2 unlimited data lines that I am going to upgrade very soon. My plan is to transfer those upgrades to the basic dumb line and keep unlimited data on both lines.

When I was looking for a basic line to transfer the upgrades to, I was lucky and was able to find someone that had a line with 12 months left and an HTC Droid DNA included. I assumed the line and got the DNA around a month ago, sold it for $200 after fees, and put a basic device on it.

After I am done using these upgrades, I don't have any need for the basic line. It has 12 months left, is currently suspended without billing, and has a $230 ETF. my original plan, was to leave it on the family share plan and pay around $11 after taxes for the next 12 months.
However, John Legere's little stunt may work for me.

I currently have a Kyocera VX414 junk phone on this basic line that I don't want, along with a line and a phone # that I could less about.

I called Tmobile a few hours ago and asked them if they would allow a customer to port a line over to TMO and reimburse ETF, if I wanted to use that line on a tablet plan. She said yes. Of course, I would need to buy the equipment from them...Then, I started thinking.

I already have a Nexus 7 LTE that I am using on VZW, but having another one might not be so bad.

Here is how I am figuring things:
I'll probably need to pay for TMO for around 2 months, before I can get reimbursed for the ETF via a Visa Gift card.
TMO offers 2.5 GB for $30 per month

Nexus 7 LTE +$10 Sim Starter KIT=$400 approx + $60 for 2 months TMO service and $20 for my Kyocera VX414 that I am willingly giving to TMO
=$480 in equipment, service, and lost VZW phone

In return, TMO will give me $230 to pay my VZW ETF

So, my out of pocket is $250 for a brand new Nexus 7 LTE--even if I don't use the TMO service--not bad

Now here are some other things to consider:

I am currently paying for 1 of my VZW lines and have been using it solely in my current Nexus 7 LTE. If someone calls me, it goes to my Google Voice number which rings a prepaid phone. I pay just under $50 per month after taxes for this line.

If TMO actually works reasonably well, I could actually suspend my VZW line without billing and bank around $100 for the 2 months I have TMO service.

In addition, I am actually taking a cruise next month to Mexico. According to TMOs website, I could use my Nexus 7 in Mexico and have no roaming charges. That would save me from paying another $25 to VZW for a 100 MB International data plan.

However, I may still want data coverage while on the cruise ship itself. I could pay TMO the same $25 I was going to give VZW and get a 200 MB International data package good for 7 days.

So, what do you think? Am I missing something?

Also, with a service like Google Voice, the actual carrier phone number is not really important. I would think if someone wanted to, they could port out to TMO and keep the service for a couple months, but call VZW within 14 days of porting out, reactivate the line with a new number and get them to waive the original ETF. However, this may be considered fraud. But, if someone gives TMO their # and their device and agrees to purchase new equipment and service from them, are they also not permitted to go back to their original carrier?

Granted, most people are not going to have service with 2 providers at the same time, but some might.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown