Verizon: Grandfathered unlimited customer here....

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
So, my wife and I pay nearly $160 a month for our lines - we have had Galaxy Nexus phones for over two years now.

Of course, I love Verizon's coverage, and would like to stay with them, but the price is just ridiculous. And I am also very put off by the fact that I have to pay a new fee if I upgrade to a new smartphone (on top of paying the couple hundred for the phone, loosing unlimited in the process, and being locked into a 2 year commitment).

Here are my questions and the purpose of my post:
For anyone who switched over to the month to month plan with Verizon - how is it? IS it that much cheaper? Do you have any data issues such as being throttled?

I'm thinking of just buying a used S4 for my wife or something like that and going to this prepaid, but if it isn't that much cheaper it doesn't make sense as I would probably be better off just going in for another 2 year commitment and getting a subsidized phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaron Swan1

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Grandfathered unlimited customer here....

They are the same prices when you're on month to month. Service is the same as when you're on contract. You can't do prepaid with a 4G phone on Verizon. Do you know how much data you use?

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Of course, I love Verizon's coverage, and would like to stay with them, but the price is just ridiculous. And I am also very put off by the fact that I have to pay a new fee if I upgrade to a new smartphone (on top of paying the couple hundred for the phone, loosing unlimited in the process, and being locked into a 2 year commitment).
You don't have to lose unlimited data if you upgrade. There are threads on this forum on how to do it. Here they are:

Best Buy Online Method

Add A Line Method

With the Add a Line Method, you can use the extra subsidized phone you get with the new line to buy a subsidized iPhone and sell it to recoup the cost of the added line. Or you can use the extra subsidized phone to get an early upgrade for yourself when you are ready.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

I use around 3gb a month, sometimes more. My wife probably only uses 1gb per month.

Not sure I'm interested in going through that rather convoluted process, although I'm sure some people find it useful. Maybe I'll check out the Best Buy method.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I use around 3gb a month, sometimes more. My wife probably only uses 1gb per month.

Not sure I'm interested in going through that rather convoluted process, although I'm sure some people find it useful. Maybe I'll check out the Best Buy method.
The Best Buy method does not work on the Droid Maxx.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't do prepaid with a 4G phone on Verizon.
yeah, only 3G and Verizon's 3G speeds are awful.

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Verizon is still running the 6gb data plan for people grandfathered on the unlimited data plan.

Sent from my busa!

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Verizon is still running the 6gb data plan for people grandfathered on the unlimited data plan.
Read the fine print, though. If you ever upgrade again, you lose the 6GB of data and are knocked down to the 2GB plan.

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Read the fine print, though. If you ever upgrade again, you lose the 6GB of data and are knocked down to the 2GB plan.

Not true, we've been upgrading customers who had the double your data promo a couple years back, once the activation is done we had to place a call in to verizon and the customer was put back on there original plan.

Sent from my busa!

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Not true, we've been upgrading customers who had the double your data promo a couple years back, once the activation is done we had to place a call in to verizon and the customer was put back on there original plan.
Is it in writing anywhere that the 6GB data for $30 will survive the next upgrade? They just started this promo so no one has done a second upgrade yet.

I called as have many others here and asked about whether the 6GB for $30 would survive the next upgrade and was told no by verizon phone reps.

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Is it in writing anywhere that the 6GB data for $30 will survive the next upgrade? They just started this promo so no one has done a second upgrade yet.

I called as have many others here and asked about whether the 6GB for $30 would survive the next upgrade and was told no by verizon phone reps.

It wasn't in writing, I knew about it because I have had success getting customers there old data plan back, this doesn't work for unlimited data only tiered data plans only.

Sent from my busa!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It wasn't in writing, I knew about it because I have had success getting customers there old data plan back, this doesn't work for unlimited data only tiered data plans only.

Sent from my busa!

This sounds like something you do for your customers though being nice... Not everyone will have someone that is willing to do that... So it isn't a safe bet for someone to bank on that.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

The Verizon reps at my corporate store are a-holes. They would never do that.

I guess you could try phone reps, who in my experience are nicer because of the phone surveys they do after a CS phone call. But I wouldn't risk it.

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

This sounds like something you do for your customers though being nice... Not everyone will have someone that is willing to do that... So it isn't a safe bet for someone to bank on that.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

The Verizon reps at my corporate store are a-holes. They would never do that.

I guess you could try phone reps, who in my experience are nicer because of the phone surveys they do after a CS phone call. But I wouldn't risk it.

Even if the reps want do this for you, you could always call into customer care, it takes a couple of days to process but the customer has always gotten there old plan back.

Sent from my busa!

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Even if the reps want do this for you, you could always call into customer care, it takes a couple of days to process but the customer has always gotten there old plan back.
That is the way it works today. Who knows whether it will work 2 years from now. And the CSR I spoke with on the phone said it would not survive the next upgrade, so at least the one I spoke with wouldn't know how to do it. Others here got the same answer when they called.

radicall771

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Apparently the website shows promotional pricing right now if I start from Pre-order iphone 6 page
preorder.verizonwireless.com, select my phone and switch to the More Everything plan - it supposedly lets me switch for just the cost of data without the line charge. Of course they might say that the line charge is implied , I don't know what the real bill will look like but posting screenshots of the process here if anyone can confirm this process works

iconfeatures0.png
iconfeatures1.png
iconfeatures1-2.png
iconfeatures2.png
iconfeatures3.png
iconfeatures4.png
iconfeatures5.png
iconfeatures6.png

JoshGlzBrk

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
and so far, Verizon has never kicked someone off of UDP without them upgrading or otherwise switching themselves. Hopefully that will continue to last, but who knows.

There are a lot of people who claim they just lose unlimited out of the blue. But I just don't understand how that could happen.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
But I just don't understand how that could happen.

I think it happens from engaging with VZW employees directly, particularly in store employees. When I upgraded from my HTC Thunderbolt to my current Note 2, I had to get a new micro sim for my unlimited data line. The employees at the local store were threatening my unlimited data and said they couldn't give me the sim without me losing it. I firmly told them they were wrong, to stop everything they were doing, and that I was calling corporate to complain about this store. Before I could even get through the phone menu system after dialing, the manager came over and said it was a mistake and they were going to give me the sim card and not mess with my unlimited.

They didn't say anything about my data plan when I asked for the sim. It was only after I told them not to mess with my data plan that they started to outright lie to me. I'm sure if I had not said anything they would have swapped me to a tiered data plan without saying a word.

TL;DR. Never trust a VZW employee when it comes to your unlimited data plan. I swear they must give bonuses to employees who manage to kick users off of unlimited data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user