Verizon: Connection issue

NJD_fan

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, have a question that i've never been able to get answered.

Whether it's going to a store, asking over the phone or other customers no one I know of at least has had this issue.

I have a Razr Maxx which my contract is almost up on, before that was a Droid X.

I'll be browsing the web, use google search, watch youtube, etc and randomly i'll lose data services. The up arrow and only the up arrow will light up for a few seconds, go off, light up again. It'll continue for maybe 30 seconds up to 2 minutes. It doesn't happen all the time, but annoying when it does.

For example I loaded up google maps a little while ago. Searched for something and while it was searching the up arrow lit up so nothing was happening. Then suddenly both arrows and the 4G lit up and it was like back to normal. Sometimes i'll be browsing the web and it'll do this so it'll time out, i'll refresh once both arrows light up and it's all better.

I can still make/receive phone calls as well as text, but anything else requiring the network will not work for a few minutes.

Verizon's had me reboot, refresh and try to update my phone. I'm not an ***** with tech and know enough to get by as I built my own pc and was going to school for pc repair & networking originally.

I'm on my 4th Maxx and it's happened on every single one, including the X when I had that.

Last time I went to a corporate store and explained the issue, the rep looked up my version and tried to update my phone. That's after me telling him I just got the recent fix & Kit Kat isn't available for it. So I can't hold some of them in the highest regard as it seems they only care about getting a sale.

Anyone heard of have had this issue?

I'm worried because if I do get a new phone, don't want this issue to continue over to that one.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Connection issue

I'm not an expert on these things, but kinda sounds like a tower/network issue. Did this happen with the Droid X, or anyone else there on a Verizon phone? Does it happen only at home, or anywhere?

Sometimes this happens to me, but not too often. I figure it's just minor network hiccups. Your best bet is to call tech support. They have a department that deals with connection issues and would be better able to help than going to the store or speaking with a general customer service operator.

If they can't fix it, don't read too much into it. Connection issues can be hard to fix sometimes, especially if it's something minor like this. It's not just Verizon being inept.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like a tower issue to me.

Do you know anyone else in the immediate vicinity with a different device? If so, do they have the same problem?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I can still make/receive phone calls as well as text, but anything else requiring the network will not work for a few minutes.
Then what that means is that the CDMA network is working fine, but the 4G LTE network/signal is the issue.

I'm on my 4th Maxx and it's happened on every single one, including the X when I had that.
That proves that it is not the phones.

My GNex (and I had 5 of them) did the same thing. They sent a tech out to measure signal in my area. My area is a known 4G LTE trouble area and Verizon has no definite time frame for upgrading the network in my area. They offered to let me out of my contract.

Sounds like you are in a similar area.

You can try getting a new SIM card if you haven't had one in awhile and see if that helps. Didn't help me.

Last time I went to a corporate store and explained the issue, the rep looked up my version and tried to update my phone. That's after me telling him I just got the recent fix & Kit Kat isn't available for it. So I can't hold some of them in the highest regard as it seems they only care about getting a sale.
They work on commission so it is not them, it is Verizon's commission-based system. The more 2 year contracts they get signed, the more money they make.

I'm worried because if I do get a new phone, don't want this issue to continue over to that one.
Thanks
It will happen with any phone you get because it clearly has nothing to do with the phones. The Motorola radios are the best so if it is happening with Motorola phones, it will be 10 times worse with a Samsung phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Then what that means is that the CDMA network is working fine, but the 4G LTE network/signal is the issue.

That proves that it is not the phones.

My GNex (and I had 5 of them) did the same thing. They sent a tech out to measure signal in my area. My area is a known 4G LTE trouble area and Verizon has no definite time frame for upgrading the network in my area. They offered to let me out of my contract.

Sounds like you are in a similar area.

You can try getting a new SIM card if you haven't had one in awhile and see if that helps. Didn't help me.

They work on commission so it is not them, it is Verizon's commission-based system. The more 2 year contracts they get signed, the more money they make.

It will happen with any phone you get because it clearly has nothing to do with the phones. The Motorola radios are the best so if it is happening with Motorola phones, it will be 10 times worse with a Samsung phone.

I would say it depends. My note 2 radio was better than my Droid razr maxx. Also there was a thread where someone was having major connectivity issues with the Droid Maxx but moved to the Note 3 and all is good.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

The Motorola radios are the best so if it is happening with Motorola phones, it will be 10 times worse with a Samsung phone.

Motorola is known to have the best for signal reception, but incompatibility issues could still cause one phone to connect well and another to not work.

Case in point, there was a time when the Droid Bionic wouldn't hold an LTE connection for anything, but the Razr would, both Motorola phones. In that case, it was a programming bug in the Bionic's OS.

Depending on the cause of the OP's problem, it's possible going to another brand, or even just a different Moto phone could bypass the problem. Until the source is narrowed down, it's also not worth rushing out to get another phone.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I would say it depends. My note 2 radio was better than my Droid razr maxx.
Well all 3 of my Moto X's (sent one back) blew my GNote3 out of the water and my 5 GNexi had terrible radios. My neighbor down the road has a GNote2 and my current Moto X's both get better signal than his GNote2. Now keep in mind that I live in a known trouble area, so our signal is weak here.

Also there was a thread where someone was having major connectivity issues with the Droid Maxx but moved to the Note 3 and all is good.
That poster said the software update caused the problem with his Droid Maxx but nowhere else do I see the problems that he had reported. *shrugs*

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Motorola is known to have the best for signal reception, but incompatibility issues could still cause one phone to connect well and another to not work.

Case in point, there was a time when the Droid Bionic wouldn't hold an LTE connection for anything, but the Razr would, both Motorola phones. In that case, it was a programming bug in the Bionic's OS.

Depending on the cause of the OP's problem, it's possible going to another brand, or even just a different Moto phone could bypass the problem. Until the source is narrowed down, it's also not worth rushing out to get another phone.
Sounds like he is having the exact same problem I have. He needs to keep calling tech support until they send a tech out to his area and measure signal. Only then will the process to get it corrected start. However, in my case even though our area was labeled a known trouble area, Verizon hasn't done anything to correct it.

At least I have an answer to the problem, though, and someday it may be corrected. And had I wanted to, they would have let me out of my contract.

The problem is far less of an issue with my Moto X's than it was with my GNote3 and GNexi (all 5 of them!).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

If it's deemed a "problem area," or something to that affect, it may be possible to get Verizon to lend a Fem-to-cell to use.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

If it's deemed a "problem area," or something to that affect, it may be possible to get Verizon to lend a Fem-to-cell to use.
They gave me one for free but it doesn't help with 4G LTE at least the one I have doesn't. At first they were going to charge me for it, I said, no, back to ATT I go (which I was bluffing) and they then offered to discount it, I said no, back to ATT I go, then they said I could have it for free.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I just found this on their site:

4G LTE Signal Booster Antenna - Verizon Wireless

seems like you need a router with it. I will have to research this.

Yeah, that's just a signal booster antenna (with bad reviews no less) for a 4G net router. Kinda like a more advanced Wi-Fi hotspot to connect your phone to. The router may not have the connection issues and then the OP could connect to it via Wi-Fi, but it's still using cell towers for data/internet. If Verizon could set him up with a free one and only charge for one data line (normally the phone and router would have their own plans), it's worth a shot.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Well all 3 of my Moto X's (sent one back) blew my GNote3 out of the water and my 5 GNexi had terrible radios. My neighbor down the road has a GNote2 and my current Moto X's both get better signal than his GNote2. Now keep in mind that I live in a known trouble area, so our signal is weak here.

That poster said the software update caused the problem with his Droid Maxx but nowhere else do I see the problems that he had reported. *shrugs*

Right but the best hardware with crappy software update still leaves you with a phone that doesn't suit your needs.

I have to wonder though, different people have different experiences. I wonder if some phone hardware works better with some towers or perhaps the way the signal propagates. Some people say that the note 2 is the best for signal, others say otherwise, so there has to be something.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Right but the best hardware with crappy software update still leaves you with a phone that doesn't suit your needs.
I don't see this problem with the software being reported anywhere else. You would expect that if an update to the software was the problem.

I have to wonder though, different people have different experiences. I wonder if some phone hardware works better with some towers or perhaps the way the signal propagates. Some people say that the note 2 is the best for signal, others say otherwise, so there has to be something.
Well there can always be defects in a particular device, but when you try 5 of the same device then I am confident it is a design problem, not a defect. The GNex had bad radios. It was a problem that was reported all over the internet forums. People were reporting it left and right to Verizon and exchanging their phones for CLNR multiple times. Everytime I called Verizon the reps would state this problem was new to them and nothing in their system showed it was a known issue, lol!

I know I keep saying radios, but it could have been the antenna, too, but I think of the antenna as part of the radio system and just use the word radio as short hand.

As for the GNote2 and GNote3, they weren't as bad as the GNex, but they weren't as good as the Moto X, either. All of them are fine where the signal is strong. It is where the signal is weak that the Moto X shines.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, that's just a signal booster antenna (with bad reviews no less) for a 4G net router. Kinda like a more advanced Wi-Fi hotspot to connect your phone to. The router may not have the connection issues and then the OP could connect to it via Wi-Fi, but it's still using cell towers for data/internet. If Verizon could set him up with a free one and only charge for one data line (normally the phone and router would have their own plans), it's worth a shot.
Ok so you would get the router but it has to have a data plan associated with it, right? If that is the case, there is no way they would let it be associated with an UDP at this point. At one point they had UDP mobile hot spots, but no longer allow new ones.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

How about these repeaters?

Wilson Electronics 4G Signal Booster Repeater LTE 700 for Verizon (801865) from Solid Signal

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Ok so you would get the router but it has to have a data plan associated with it, right? If that is the case, there is no way they would let it be associated with an UDP at this point. At one point they had UDP mobile hot spots, but no longer allow new ones.

If Verizon was willing to let me try one at no charge, I'd consider it. Since we don't know where the issue lies, the router could have the same problems. Probably likely since this has already happened on different phone models.

You may be right Verizon wouldn't do it if the OP has unlimited data, but the argument could be made the router would be used in lieu of the cell data on the phone due to as network problem. That would still be a long shot, though

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

If Verizon was willing to let me try one at no charge, I'd consider it. Since we don't know where the issue lies, the router could have the same problems. Probably likely since this has already happened on different phone models.

You may be right Verizon wouldn't do it if the OP has unlimited data, but the argument could be made the router would be used in lieu of the cell data on the phone due to as network problem. That would still be a long shot, though

I just found this:

WTB Extends Consumer Signal Booster Sale Deadline Until April 30, 2014 | FCC.gov

Apparently, these are being cracked down on and you have to have your carrier's permission and register the device. I wonder if the legacy devices are better? If so, you have until April 30th to get one.

ETA - OK, found this. The legacy devices may not be any better.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/77388.html

http://www.verizon.com/wcms/consumer/register-signal-booster.html

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Off topic, but I'm curious how legacy booster use will be enforced. Currently, they were basically plug and play as long as it worked with the right frequency. As far as I know, I don't think there is a way for the carrier to know if you're using one or block from doing so.

My guess is that aspect will be another feel good unenforceable regulation and legacy boosters will continue to work regardless of registration and approval from the carrier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7