question on free tethering

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded my phone last summer and in the process got thrown off unlimited data into the 2gig plan. I am just an individual/not family shared plan.
They told me I was not entitled to free tethering which really stinks, I've been using an app to get around that.. Someone on another thread told me I should have gotten the tethering. Any comments? What about the "More everything" plan? Will that help or will I just pay MORE money? am trying to get my ducks in a row before calling Verizon. I'm also getting thrown off my corporate discount because I retired.

thanks

Barry Test

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Samkatz;

I have a razr maxx with udp, homeconnect and dumb phone line. I currently pay about $96 per month. I have old plans that do not exist anymore. If I went to the everything plan I would pay about $140. I would lose my UDP and not be able to use foxfi for hotspot. A BB rep told me things could be set up on a everything plan so the razr maxx would be 'two devices'. When I go to Verizon's site there is no way to do this. I plan to go to a corporate store to see it the above is true. If it isn't then I guess Verizon does not want me to give up my UDP:) After I talk to the corp store I will post the answer. If I got a maxx and paid retail I could keep everything the same, but if I would let it update to KK foxfi would no longer work. :(

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
On the family share plan the "hotspot" is definitely free. However, it does go towards your data allowance. I was using foxfi until I confirmed with Verizon. You don't need to sign up for anything. Just activate the Hotspot on your phone and set up a network.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded my phone last summer and in the process got thrown off unlimited data into the 2gig plan. I am just an individual/not family shared plan.
They told me I was not entitled to free tethering which really stinks, I've been using an app to get around that.. Someone on another thread told me I should have gotten the tethering. Any comments? What about the "More everything" plan? Will that help or will I just pay MORE money? am trying to get my ducks in a row before calling Verizon. I'm also getting thrown off my corporate discount because I retired.

thanks

Even on those older metered plans, (proper, non-TOS-voilating) tethering was not part of each data package. These are probably your options:

2GB $30
4GB w/ hotspot $50
5GB $50
7GB w/ hotspot $70
10GB 80$
12GB w/ hotspot $100

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
(proper, non-TOS-voilating)
What do you mean by "proper"? As has been explained on these forums numerous times, Verizon can put anything they want in their TOS, even illegal provisions, but that does NOT mean that the provisions are enforceable or even legal. Clearly, by using the word "proper" you are trying to convey the idea that if you violate a term of the TOS you have done something improper. As has been explained on these forums numerous times, that may or may not be true and what may in fact be true is that Verizon has done something improper by putting the term in their TOS to begin with.

Verizon has done shady things and been fined for them before. Verizon's lawyers were well aware of the shady things but concocted bogus arguments to defend their acts. FCC SLAPPED them down.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
On June 28, 2012, Verizon Wireless modified its pricing plans to allow customers on usage-based plans to tether their devices without paying an additional fee, while customers on unlimited usage plans must continue to pay an additional fee to tether their devices. Verizon Wireless customers on usage-based plans who subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect for tethering may terminate their subscription to that service without penalty.

Order and Consent Decree, Verizon Wireless to Pay $1.25 Million | FCC.gov

I would contact the FCC.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by "proper"? As has been explained on these forums numerous times, Verizon can put anything they want in their TOS, even illegal provisions, but that does NOT mean that the provisions are enforceable or even legal. Clearly, by using the word "proper" you are tying to convey the idea that if you violate a term of the TOS you have done something improper. As has been explained on these forums numerous times, that may or may not be true and what may in fact be true is that Verizon has done something improper by putting the term in their TOS to begin with.

Verizon has done shady things and been fined for them before. Verizon's lawyers were well aware of the shady things but concocted bogus arguments to defend their acts. FCC SLAPPED them down.

I mean exactly what I said. If your data package does not include the tethering feature, you should not be tethering. If you want to tether, you should be on a plan that allows it. I've just listed out what the current options are for one of my metered lines.

T-Mobile's $30 100 minute, unlimited messaging, unlimited data (up to 5GB unthrottled) plan used to say no hotspot/tethering. They've since added a separate hotspot allotment.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I mean exactly what I said. If you're data package does not include the tethering feature, you should not be tethering. If you want to tether, you should be on a plan that allows it.
Well you're wrong. After you graduate from law school, you'll understand why.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well you're wrong. After you graduate from law school, you'll understand why.

Tell that to Verizon.

Those options that I gave are the options on one of my metered lines - clearly showing some packages have the hotspot feature while others don't. With those options, Verizon hasn't yet followed through on modifying "its pricing plans to allow customers on usage-based plans to tether their devices without paying an additional fee".

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Tell that to Verizon.
Verizon doesn't make or enforce laws. Legislatures, the agencies they delegate to under the APA and judges do.

Those options that I gave are the options on one of my metered lines - clearly showing some packages have the hotspot feature while others don't. With those options, Verizon hasn't yet followed through on modifying "its pricing plans to allow customers on usage-based plans to tether their devices without paying an additional fee".
As I told the other poster, contact the FCC.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Tell that to Verizon.

It has. All current advertised plans allow tethering. Those on legacy plans are allowed to switch to the new plans at anytime without penalty. While I agree that older plans should be changed, I am sure that that is verizon's answer.

The release of the share everything plan coincides with the judgment date

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It has. All current advertised plans allow tethering. Those on legacy plans are allowed to switch to the new plans at anytime without penalty. While I agree that older plans should be changed, I am sure that that is verizon's answer.
I still think someone needs to bring it to the attention of the FCC. I would but I have an UDP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20