Don't want Bing on Android? Tell Verizon all about it here. And try to be polite about it, OK?
    09-23-2010 01:55 PM
    The issue isn't even Bing itself, it's that they're forcing it upon us. If they want to install Bing; VZW Navigator; VZW Bloatware Suite; or whatever else, that's fine, it's their prerogative to do so. My issue is that in doing this, they take away any and all consumer choice. If I want to uninstall your bloatware crap, let me. If I want to use Google Search, let me. Last I checked we were *buying* these phones, and we shouldn't have to jump through 20 hoops to undo what Verizon forced upon us.

The way the system works now, we're basically just renting the phone from Verizon for the tune of $2000+ over the course of two years. Exceedingly lame, and a class-action in the making.
    CR4V3 likes this.
    09-23-2010 02:07 PM
    "Microsoft is pushing to get more out of its Verizon agreement. The company says seven new Android phones scheduled to come out on Verizon this fall will feature its search engine, Bing. The first of those devices, Samsung's Fascinate, hit stores last week and uses Microsoft software for its default search engine and mapping service.

None of those devices, however, falls in Verizon's Droid lineup—the brand the carrier reserves for its highest-profile Android handsets, which benefit disproportionately from Verizon's marketing muscle."

-"Microsoft Struggles to Gain in Mobile Search" from WSJ.
    09-23-2010 02:21 PM
    The beauty about Android is choice. And when you take away our ability to make our own choices, you leave us a bloatware version of the iPhone, which is unacceptable.
    09-23-2010 02:45 PM
    I occasionally use Bing, and it does a good job. I still prefer Google, but the fact it, Verizon should NOT be dictating to me which browser I can have as my default browser. Even Microsoft allows me to pick my own browser as my default browser in Windows. Does the iPhone ONLY allow Safari as a default browser? I realize that Verizon is getting paid by MSFT for sticking the Bing icon on my phone, but I should still have the choice and option to pick my own default browser. I hope that Verizon will change their ways soon!!
    CR4V3 likes this.
    09-23-2010 02:46 PM
    If anyone wants to tell Verizon what they think about Bing:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=ZHH7mz-E
    09-23-2010 02:50 PM
    Simply put, I will not purchase a phone from Verizon that does not let me change the default search engine, especially if that default search is Bing.
    09-23-2010 02:51 PM
    Like others have said, putting Bing on is fine. But give us the option to use Google search or whatever other option we want. If Bing wants to increase marketshare, then produce a superior product, but don't try to steal it by forcing the carrier to use only Bing. People will always find a way around that (root) and all Bing will do is make many people dislike them even more.
    09-23-2010 02:57 PM
    One of the many reason I am going to Android is to get away from Microsoft. Yes they have nice products, but I desire no string attached. If Verizon is going to force Bing upon us, then I will look at other phones that do not have it. It is very disappointing that something as good as Android has to be messed with to take away its benefits. Yes I use Outlook 2003 not the newer versions that lock my PST file and do not work. I need to sync Outlook to Android, yes I have several Google emails for different uses and do not desire to combine them into one view, too confusing if looking only for business emails. It will be nice when OpenOffice comes to Android so I can access and change files on the fly, that I can do on a Windows 6.5. Hopefully the Motorola Droid T2 Dual CPU Super Phone will not be touched by Bing. If Quicken or Quickbook were available on Linux then I would make the switch, but they are not so I have to stay with W7 for the moment. The next year will see big changes to our phones an what they will do, looking forward to it with anticipation. Will only get the one year when I upgrade to the next phone, I will pay the extra $70.00 to be ready in a year for a new great phone.
    09-23-2010 02:59 PM
    Removing key selling points of the android operating system like google nav in favor of inferior and expensive things like vzw nav is a good way to ruin the user experience. Not to mention adding cityid, skype, and other junk that I don't use just impairs my phone's performance.

It's and issue of quality. I use Verizon because most of the time they provide the best coverage wherever I go. The vzw apps and Bing are mediocre at best, especially when compared to the other options available. Pushing these things onto high end phones like the fascinate, just makes Samsung, Verizon and Bing all look bad.

If you need proof, just look at Amazon. They are selling the Fascinate for $0.01 with new service. That's ridiculous for a brand new top end smartphone. The Droid X, which has comparable hardware and came out earlier, is $179.99.
    09-23-2010 03:12 PM
    Already sent them an email I can't stand that behavior give me the option or. I will choose to use another search provider. Ill move to sprint in a heartbeat and pick up wimax in the process
    09-23-2010 03:46 PM
    It's funny, by trying to forcibly remain in charge of the mobile landscape, Verizon is just pushing themselves even closer toward becoming a dumb pipe.
    09-23-2010 04:03 PM
    Put simply, I have a lot of my data integrated through Google's various products. I won't be purchasing an Android phone that removes that functionality from the OS. I won't be recommending one either. We all enjoy Android because of the choices it offers. Offer Bing as an option, if you want. Just don't cut down Android at the knees, Verizon. I'm only under contract until March and will certainly leave if I can't find what I want in the Verizon lineup.
    09-23-2010 04:10 PM
    I love my Android phone's more than almost anything. There is no way I will buy an Android phone without GOOGLE SERVICES! Bing should not be on an Android phone!
    09-23-2010 08:06 PM
    Yo, Verizon, there will be no Bing or VZW Navigator on my next smartphone. Either keep it off or make it optional; otherwise it won't be on your network.

It won't have a crappy "me too!" UI like TouchWhiz or Blur either.
    09-23-2010 08:32 PM
    Can you use Google?

Can you hide the Bling Icon?

If the answer is yes to both above questions, then what in the world is the problem? Isn't there better things to complain about?

I hate facebook and all other social networking sites. Can I remove those from my future android system phone?

If not, should I get a petition up for removal of those items too?
    09-23-2010 08:37 PM
    Slept through that whole Fascinate debacle, did you?
    09-23-2010 08:42 PM
    I probably will email vzw too.I don't want or use bing at least have the option to remove it or move it to sd card along with any other pushed unused apps.

Sent using Tapatalk
    09-24-2010 08:44 AM
    I wouldn't care if they put a Bing search widget that you can select. Heck, put it on the homescreen by default. But let me trash it and put the Google search widget on there if I want. When I press the search button, it should ask which one I want to complete the action with and let me choose Google. Same with Google maps, etc. Then when the phone is inevitably rooted, I can delete that crap. Trick the users that don't know any better to use Bing but for those of us that want Google, make it easy to switch without root.
    09-24-2010 11:42 AM
    You guys are too much. The fact that you complain that there is no choice is incorrect. You have the choice to not purchase the phone or switch carriers as suggested by others here. Emailing them does what? The people you email are CS reps like the ones on the phone. Nothing will get done. People complained so hard when this happened on Blackberry's and what happened after all the complaining? All the petitions, blogs and forums? Nothing. You are entitled to be upset or speak your opinion but in the end, it's all a waste, just like this thread.
    09-25-2010 09:30 PM
    You guys are too much. The fact that you complain that there is no choice is incorrect. You have the choice to not purchase the phone or switch carriers as suggested by others here. Emailing them does what? The people you email are CS reps like the ones on the phone. Nothing will get done. People complained so hard when this happened on Blackberry's and what happened after all the complaining? All the petitions, blogs and forums? Nothing. You are entitled to be upset or speak your opinion but in the end, it's all a waste, just like this thread.
    .. well at least that gives them sitting to read while the hang out in the forums, like you did , LoL . Now go back to the Boo'd-que!, lol wherever that is
    09-27-2010 08:30 AM
    The people you email are CS reps like the ones on the phone. Nothing will get done.
    Okay, how about this one?

lowell.mcadam@verizonwireless.com
    10-05-2010 01:48 AM
    Okay, how about this one?

lowell.mcadam@verizonwireless.com
    Of course, he reads every email he receives while his assistants read the Wall Street Journal....
    10-05-2010 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD