Verizon CEO confirms tierd data plans...

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Verizon to Change Mobile-Data Plans - WSJ.com

Verizon Communications Inc.'s chief said he expects to soon start charging wireless customers based on their Internet data usage and introduce new plans with limits.

Verizon's move would follow rival carrier AT&T Inc.'s decision in June to stop selling an unlimited data plan to new customers and begin selling two service plans with monthly caps.

Click the link to read the article in its entirety.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah just saw that this morning. I'm not overly disappointed with it. But I'm not happy about it either. Let me explain.

As of right now I pay $30 x2 for both of my phones to have internet connectivity. Which sucks quite frankly because I pay half that for my 30Mbps broadband at home though my ISP. Granted "cellular" bytes are harder to deal with supposedly.

Now I like having unlimited, but if they wanted to drop it to $10 a month for 5GB or maybe even $15 a month and give me a use as you want agreement for tethering I would be happy with it. But I know they are going to pull an AT&T stunt and make it stupid.

They will end up offering probably a 200-500mb package for $10 a month $15 a month will get you 2-3GB and $25 a month will get you 5GB or something like that. Sheesh....but considering with a WiFi enabled phone I'm only using about 1-2GB per month per phone on cell data.

So fingers crossed they make a good decision.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, this will also be only for new customers, and all of us with unlimited now, SHOULD, stay that way I hope lol.

I can't say that I'm happy with this at all. I like having unlimited, and I don't mind paying the 30 a month for it. If they start changing it for the worst in my case, I'll have to rethink staying with them.

silentbobdrummer

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I also have mixed feelings. Thought I like having unlimited, I never used a lot. I think the most I've used so far is 700 MB and that was when I first got my Incredible. So if they offer a $15/month 2GB plan, then I would be happy. It would just be a pain in the *** monitoring it and worrying about it each month...

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
How do you even check how much data a month you use? Or is it in the bill? (I pay my mom for my portion- I'm on a family plan so she has the bill.) I'm kind of pissed about this..

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's ceo did say that the plans would be structured differently than AT&T. He also said that it would likely come with LTE. Frankly if they give me 5 gb of LTE data for$ 30 I will be happy. Id even be willing to pay more for a 10 gb plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

silentbobdrummer

May 29, 2010
Visit site
How do you even check how much data a month you use? Or is it in the bill? (I pay my mom for my portion- I'm on a family plan so she has the bill.) I'm kind of pissed about this..

You can check online. It will give you a rundown of minutes uses, text messages, and data usage. Also, if you have an Android phone, there is an app called My Verizon, and it will keep track of your data usage.

raineslc

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, this will also be only for new customers, and all of us with unlimited now, SHOULD, stay that way I hope lol.

I can't say that I'm happy with this at all. I like having unlimited, and I don't mind paying the 30 a month for it. If they start changing it for the worst in my case, I'll have to rethink staying with them.

Yea until you want to get a new phone at the contract price....then you're boned into the new plans. And the article said sprint is heading the same way if their data usage increases more. Basically I think this is how its gonna be. sad face :(

sirlancelot323

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Like someone on here said before, greed is a virus.

AT&T caught it first. Now Verizon's coming down with it, and Sprint's throat is starting to get scratchy. Verizon is already the most expensive carrier by far(without my discount, my bill would be over $100 a month, and I DON'T have the tethering option). They can start charging $30 for 2 gb, that's fine. I've been a customer of them for 10 years and I will GLADLY hop over to Sprint. Verizon seems determined to have me drop them.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
the 2gb limit is att. we have no idea what Verizon will be.

Unlimited data is NOT sustainable as the speed you get on these phones increases. But that doesn't mean that the levels will be bad (though they could )

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
well some people may choose to use their phones via wi fi for internet and data. For 30 a month u can get cable and not be limited. Some people are ditching their regular connection for broadband in favor of the phones data.
Just think if comcast started a plan like att people would drop them left and right

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
well some people may choose to use their phones via wi fi for internet and data. For 30 a month u can get cable and not be limited. Some people are ditching their regular connection for broadband in favor of the phones data.
Just think if comcast started a plan like att people would drop them left and right

Comcast also has a limit on it, it's just a lot higher. Landline data is signifigantly cheaper to provide than wireless data is.

I use my phone mainly over Wifi Now as well because I have Fios at my apartment. It's faster internet, and my house hates towers, so it's also a lot easier on my battery life.

That being said, I still consume more than 2gb of phone data in a month so I'm a very heavy user. Tiered data WILL affect me. But it's because cell data is getting so fast/stable that caps are inevitable. Unlimited is a nice word, but it's not practical when you're talking Data because unlike minutes or even text messaging where there is a known limit to how much you can use (and only a small minority get anwhere near that). With Data, your ability to consume goes up exponentially with the speeds you get and with the capability of the device.

Droid's caused Verizon's average data usage per smartphone user to triple in a year, they now use more data per device than the iphone, and the Droidx consumes 5x more data on average than any other phone in Verizon's lineup.

What is data going to look like once things like slingbox are feasible on devices that support 1080p playback? Heck, can you even remember how much data on phones sucked just five years ago? Most of what we have today wasn't even considered. What will happen when 4g is the norm?

Data caps don't have to be evil. They still could be, but I'm going to give them the benefit of a doubt with it. If they do it right, this could be a boon for almost everyone, and only the people illegally tethering 24/7 would be the ones grumbling.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The bandwidth scarcity is a myth, total BS, and a lie. The carriers, took hundreds of billions to build out the infrastructure (if they did at all) and now claim its tapped out. There is a lot of dark fiber available and they can get off their arse's and light it up. Seriously the last mile has been an excuse for how long now.

For once the FCC needs to grow a pair or get someone who has a pair and get the job done.'

Don't forget to vote on Nov. 2nd you too can put another crooked politician into office. The founding fathers would be crying in shame at where we are today.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The bandwidth scarcity is a myth, total BS, and a lie. The carriers, took hundreds of billions to build out the infrastructure (if they did at all) and now claim its tapped out. There is a lot of dark fiber available and they can get off their arse's and light it up. Seriously the last mile has been an excuse for how long now.

For once the FCC needs to grow a pair or get someone who has a pair and get the job done.'

Don't forget to vote on Nov. 2nd you too can put another crooked politician into office. The founding fathers would be crying in shame at where we are today.

you're acting like this stuff is just fixed costs. It isn't.

Not only do you have the actual limit to speed capabilities of towers. but you also have a HARD CAP on the amount of data a single tower can process, even with top of the line equipment and bandwidth.

And then there is the issue of how many towers you can put in an area. Both from a logistic standpoint and getting the permits to do so.

And then there is the limit on spectrum.

Bandwidth is a UNIT OF MEASURE, not some giant pool that you can draw from. bandwidth is bits per second. So saying that there is no bandwidth problem is like saying that a car can always get more MPH if they just use some extra roads.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
[edit]
Deleted previous comment.
Having looked at my usage for the last 12 months, I have to have unlimited options. If Verizon ever takes away 'unlimited' options, I'll stop buying smartphones.
[/edit]

As far as tablets are concerned, I know I'm sticking with Wi-fi as long as possible -- especially if we can get them to work with PdaNet. Who needs yet another damn monthly bill?

I think CNET's Molly Wood brought up a great point about how we're paying time and time again for the same damn data. I wish the carriers would just sell us data access on whatever freakin' devices - or as many as - we decide to use.

Last edited:

rrife

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
These are junk....they basically are the same as the old (pre-summer) plans except they are charging people $15 instead of $10 for minimum data plan. I'm switching to the first provider who actually just sells pure bandwidth and not some lame service plan that is attached to a device. It should be something like $10/GB (even that seems high to me) and I should be allowed to use it however I want on whatever device I want.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
These are junk....they basically are the same as the old (pre-summer) plans except they are charging people $15 instead of $10 for minimum data plan. I'm switching to the first provider who actually just sells pure bandwidth and not some lame service plan that is attached to a device. It should be something like $10/GB (even that seems high to me) and I should be allowed to use it however I want on whatever device I want.

agreed. although, I won't switch to another carrier just for the data plan - unless every carrier network is equally strong once 4G rolls out. is that possible?

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

The difference is that the $15 can now apply to Smartphones as well. The $10 was for 25mb and could ONLY work on feature phones and 3gMM devices. The $15 gets your 150MB and you can use it on smartphones.

Once plans go full tier (no more unlimited) you'll start seeing all data plans. Verizon's new CEO has said as much previously, that he wants to sell bucket plans instead of "text, talk, data, tethering" packages

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo