Are early upgrades still possible on Verizon?

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
yeah, math be damned!!!! LOL!

Go back and read my post. You CAN upgrade every year AND it costs less than the $10/mo/line Edge discount. The $20/mo/line discount, no, that is a good deal.

If you can't understand the math, sorry, there is nothing more I can do to help you. I wrote it all out clearly, and honestly, this isn't even something I would label as math, it is arithmetic. And 3rd grade arithmetic at that.

How much less than $10/month? Forgive me for not reading the math since Edge wasn't really an option for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Here is the "convoluted" process outlined for you if you are having difficulty grasping it:

1) Order a new phone from Best Buy online using your subsidized upgrade;
2) Don't select a new plan; and
3) Use your old SIM card to activate your new phone when you receive it - if the SIM cards in your old phone and your new phone are different sizes, pull a pair of scissors out of your kitchen drawer and cut your old SIM card down.

Yeah, I can see why it is so confusing, lol!

Didn't you suggest that it was imperative that BB and Verizon not communicate? Wasn't it important to not accept the delivery if things went sideways? These are complications that you are glossing over.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Nah, just asking you to reduce it to the numbers without having to read through all of the calculations. Surely you can do that. Shouldn't be difficult to say how much you save per month, right?

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Remember, you are the one who talked about eBay vs. Swappa. You are willing to take less of a profit because of perceived risk. I, OTOH, am happy to take more profit, even with the added shipping and fee costs. It's all about comfort level with whatever numbers whatever system generates. Let's say that your system generates 50% more "profit" over Edge. That's still only about $60 over a year. That might be the amount of extra profit that I get using eBay. If that's true, then it's a wash. My use of eBay could be seen in the same light, i.e. inconsequential. I'm fine with that.

That might not be enough of an incentive for some people. Then again, it might be an incentive for others. It doesn't mean that your system is better or worse. It's all about comfort level. Unless one has a small business buying and selling phones to subsidize their own phone purchases. Then it could be significant to save some money over a year.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
PS, are you willing to sell your phone down the road on the open market? If this makes you uncomfortable, then epp isn't for you because you won't recoup what you've paid in.

But if you are willing to sell, then the upfront cost of buying at retail can be mitigated through the selling of your phone. And it doesn't cost much per month (although $60 extra bucks isn't chump change). Remember though, you're paying twice as much for half the time.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Thread has been cleaned up and reopened. I trust that the remaining participants can keep the discussion civil and on-topic.

Our apologies for the rudeness of a particular participant towards others in this thread. If you see behavior like this, please report the posts so that the moderator team can review and address any problems.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
You aren't making a profit either way. It is just that unless you are getting the $20/mo/line discount, Edge costs more as long as you are willing to sell your used phones. Pretty simple. Not convoluted at all.

Sorry to have used the term "profit". I meant the difference per month between Edge and your calculations, not profit in terms of recouping payout. Obviously, it's almost impossible to "profit" on an Android phone bought shortly after release (you can theoretically profit on rebated phones at the end of the curve if the timing is right and you are a little lucky, although it's getting harder to get good rebates from sellers like Let's Talk like in the good old days).

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure that he means getting the phone for a subsidized price, but it was the "using your subsidy" phrase that threw me off. Seemed like a strange way of saying getting a new phone when your contact was up.

Obviously, it's more complicated than the days when getting a subsidized phone meant a "2 year deal" (give or take a few months). Now, there are line swaps, Edge and epps, and purchasing a phone at retail, the latter of which people rarely did.
It's not surprising that occasionally a loophole would show up that people can exploit. I say more power to people who can exploit them and forums like this are a valuable resource for sharing them, as long as they stay within bounds.

I think that the Best Buy thing walks that line, but I wouldn't judge whether it crosses the line. Heck, I have a rooted phone. That's walking the line as well.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I was accused of working for Verizon by a certain someone in this thread, yet that same individual seems to know the exact amount that goes to make up for the subsidized phone pricing every month...

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

midimench

May 23, 2011
Visit site
You end up paying $350 every year, so at the end of what would have been a two year contract, you've paid $700. My original Note 3 in October costs $300. Is paying double warrant a 1 year jump on technology?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You end up paying $350 every year, so at the end of what would have been a two year contract, you've paid $700. My original Note 3 in October costs $300. Is paying double warrant a 1 year jump on technology?

There are service credits on the new "More Everything Plan" that can now make it worth it for some people. It still doesn't benefit everyone, but the $10 and $25 credits help a ton in some situations.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There are service credits on the new "More Everything Plan" that can now make it worth it for some people. It still doesn't benefit everyone, but the $10 and $25 credits help a ton in some situations.

The $25 credit is a lot, it ends up being $600 over 2 years. Figuring that the s5/m8 is retail $600, the cost ends up washing out. If you bought on contract, you would be paying $100/200 for the phone, plus upgrade fee, so you end up paying $135/$235 more for the phone vs. Edge. Of course, it would depend on the deal.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Consumers Love Them, Carriers Hate Them; Why Smartphone Subsidies are Here to Stay

Here is a good article on how phone companies make up for the immediate loss they take on subsidized phones.

Big Red Note 3

I just came across this thread and read this article on subsidized phone cost. I am just over a month out from my contract date with my GS3 and I'm looking to get the GS5. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my GS3. It is in great condition and works great. I just wanted to newer phone. If I choose to not upgrade and just keep my GS3 can I go to Verizion and ask them to lower my monthly bill since I satisfied the 2 years of the additional $20 a month that I pay to compensate for the subsidized phone? It wouldn't make sense for me not to upgrade if I don't get the reduced monthly bill since. I bet there are a lot of people out there that do no upgrade every two years and keep their phones longer that are still paying the extra in their monthly rates to compensate for the reduced cost of the phone that they have had for years now and Verizon is reaping the benefits of that population. I have not always been a person that would go to a new phone ever two years, so I know they have made out on my through the years since they have never decreased my monthly plan after the two year contract was over and I didn't move into a new phone right away.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just came across this thread and read this article on subsidized phone cost. I am just over a month out from my contract date with my GS3 and I'm looking to get the GS5. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my GS3. It is in great condition and works great. I just wanted to newer phone. If I choose to not upgrade and just keep my GS3 can I go to Verizion and ask them to lower my monthly bill since I satisfied the 2 years of the additional $20 a month that I pay to compensate for the subsidized phone? It wouldn't make sense for me not to upgrade if I don't get the reduced monthly bill since. I bet there are a lot of people out there that do no upgrade every two years and keep their phones longer that are still paying the extra in their monthly rates to compensate for the reduced cost of the phone that they have had for years now and Verizon is reaping the benefits of that population. I have not always been a person that would go to a new phone ever two years, so I know they have made out on my through the years since they have never decreased my monthly plan after the two year contract was over and I didn't move into a new phone right away.

Yes you can if you are on the more everything plan. If you are on a 10gb plan or higher then your bill would drop by $25. Less than 10gb plan then it would drop by $10.

There is no discount for going month to month on the older plans

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can if you are on the more everything plan. If you are on a 10gb plan or higher then your bill would drop by $25. Less than 10gb plan then it would drop by $10.

There is no discount for going month to month on the older plans

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Cool. I am on the more everything plan so I will keep that in mind if I decide not to upgrade to the GS5 in July.

~Tina~

Sent from my GSIII using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol