Verizon: Galaxy S3 dying, tough choice on new device

livendive

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I recently cracked the screen on my S3, plus its battery life seems very short of late (even with a new battery), the processor seems to hang up a lot more often than it used to, and I'm not due for an upgrade till July. The phone IS insured, so I could theoretically pay the $100 deductible and get a replacement phone, but this seems silly for a device I plan to retire within the next few months. If the screen weren't cracked, I could trade it in and enter the EDGE program, but only until next Monday (3/31) which means getting a new phone on insurance and trading that one in to enter EDGE won't work. That said, my wife's iPhone is eligible for an upgrade in 11 days and I'm currently waiting for Verizon to call me back about the possibility of us swapping upgrade dates and perhaps letting me go 11 days early and get a new HTC One. Either way, since Verizon doesn't appear to be getting the Sony Z2 (my preferred device), my choice looks to be boiling down to Galaxy S5 (whenever Verizon releases it) or the new HTC One (maybe today, maybe within the next two weeks). Comparing these two looks like a series of trade-offs.

HTC One = much more attractive form, far superior speaker sound, and some cool gimmicks on the camera (depth of field editing)
Galaxy S5 = slightly bigger battery that's also swappable, slightly faster processor speed, water resistant, much higher resolution camera (4 MP vs 16 MP)

Both = KitKat, Snapdragon 801, 2 GB RAM, Micro SDXD slot, low battery mode to extend criticual uses, similar screen size (S5 better quality? It's AMOLED vs LCD). With no experience on Sense, I can't compare it to TouchWiz and am not sure which I would prefer, though I'm at least used to the version of TouchWiz that is on my GS3.

Anyone have any thoughts on other areas in which one is better than the other?

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 dying, tough choice on new device

You might consider the Droid Maxx also... I work in a high traffic store which is ranked top 10 for the region so we move quite a few phones, and the phone we have seen the least (almost none) issues with is the Maxx. Its 150 after rebate right now also. S5 will likely be 300 to start out and im not particularly impressed with the features of it over the s4. As for your upgrade date, you're usually allowed an upgrade 7 days early from your actual date and it is no issue to use your wife's upgrade for yourself.

If I had to pick between those two phones though, I would pick the S5. I'm not very fond of Sense to be honest. And I can tell you the S5 will be here quite soon. though not in 11 days I don't believe.

livendive

May 3, 2012
Visit site

I have a good friend who also speaks very highly of the Droid Maxx. My only problem with it is locking into a 2 year contract with a phone that's already 9 months old.

Also, apparently Sony is telling me to wait just a minute.
The Z2 has a better screen, bigger battery, 50% more ram, higher resolution camera, and is waterproof, and the speaker sound closer to the HTC than the Sammie. Do want!

blackberriquero

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

You might consider the moto x its an amazing phone with some amazing features!
Its has a great battery although
Sent from my Moto x, my weapon of choice!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay