Verizon now offering $25 discount per line in edge, $160 for 4 smartphones with 10gb on edge

devman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately this does not apply to all off-contract devices like AT&Ts rates do, with Verizon discounted rates only apply to devices currently enrolled in Edge.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Saw this post but wanted to spotlight this change. Thanks fofjjsr.
AT&T's new rates are killing me! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Not a problem. I voice my opinion, and have friends in the business and I like to stay up to date and try to help out when I can. I have been seen as somewhat of a Verizon fanboy, but I just support a company I believe in, and believe me, I have been with every other company at one point or another. Not to say I believe everything they do is a benefit, but to me as I always put it, if you want a BMW, you can't expect to pay Ford prices.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately this does not apply to all off-contract devices like AT&Ts rates do, with Verizon discounted rates only apply to devices currently enrolled in Edge.

By off contract devices you mean full retail right? Because you are right there. However, in essence the Edge program is the same thing as paying full retail, just not all of it up front. Just like Next. But you could look at is with the credits as a benefit. But to each their own.

devman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
By off contract devices you mean full retail right? Because you are right there. However, in essence the Edge program is the same thing as paying full retail, just not all of it up front. Just like Next. But you could look at is with the credits as a benefit. But to each their own.

It isn't that simple though. I asked about this in the other thread, quoted below for reference

If you BOGO on the HTC m8 with Verizon Edge do both phones qualify for the service discount or just one?

Also does anyone know if you continue you get the service discount after an Edge phone is paid off (early or not)? Do your rates go up after 24 months? I guess what I'm asking here is once a phone is Edge is it always Edge?

Verizon could make this a lot easier by just applying service discount to all off-contract phones like AT&T does. As it stands, the rules are unclear to me.

If Verizon would simply make it so off-contract devices get discounts it would be an easy comparison to AT&T, but it isn't that straight forward. If a device is permanently part of Edge, then that makes it closer to AT&T, but I have a feeling that once you pay the device off or 24 months pass you lose your discounts. With AT&T the test for discounts is simply contract status, which is a lot more inclusive than Edge is.

Please feel free to correct any bad assumptions above. I'm genuinely trying to find out as much as I can about the Edge program my contract with Verizon is up in July, but as it stands right now it doesn't seem like a good deal unless your going to Edge up every year.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I will try and find out the answer to whether the discount falls off after the 24 months or not with Edge.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure this is true...from the fine print I could find it goes something like this (and I'm just reading what I can read same as you...I don't work for any carrier, etc.)
They're both basically lease arrangements.

ATT Next has two options: "12 mo Next" and "18 mo Next". Each has a lease-contract that extends 8mos after the minimum-upgrade/plan date. Upon hitting the plan date (12 or 18mos), you can (at your option) upgrade to a new ATT phone with a new lease-contract and if you return your "old phone" (I assume in working-order) - the one you're upgrading - they will waive the remaining lease payments on it. So you will pay more than a subsidized, $200 up-front, but less than full retail (but you don't keep the phone in that case).

What happens if you keep the phone until the end of the actual lease? I think it's yours free-and-clear, and you've basically paid (roughly) full-retail for it.

Edge appears similar, except they are a 24mo lease with an option to get out after 50% paid (I didn't find it in ATT's lingo, but with VZ you can optionally pay more per month, or pre-pay months, or make a bigger "down payment"). So usually that implies that you can upgrade after 12mos -- and again, you have to return the phone to upgrade or buy it at full-freight -- except, if you're paying more, early, you can actually upgrade after 30 days or something crazy.

So I don't think either program is truly "like paying full retail" unless you ride the lease to its end -- which, like any reasonable lease contract, is your option.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you keep the phone until the end of the edge of next contract, then the phone is yours to keep. If you have paid off less than 100% of the phone then you would have to trade it in to get a new device.

Also on edge, you can make a down payment, but you cannot pay more than the originally specified monthly payments unless it is to pay 50% to edge up or pay off the balance in full.

Personally it doesn't make sense to put a down payment more than required. Edge /next is essentially giving you a two year interest free loan. you are better off saving the money and put it into a savings account. Because if you trade in after a year, then you are at 50%.if you , put a down payment, you are over 50%, so that I extra money goes to Verizon.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/Equipment/vz-edge.html

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree on the pre-payment/deposit.

WITH the current monthly discount ($25/mo if you're on a 10GB or more data plan), you'd do better buying the phone via Edge. But if they discontinued that, and you were planning on staying for 2yrs (same as buying the phone via Edge), the $200-subsidized option is still a better value. And even with the discount, if you're on a 4, 6, or 8GB data plan, you would have to do the math (because the monthly discount is lower).

Technically and theoretically, if you buy a subsidized pair of M8's right now at $200, then cancel them @ $350 ea (early term fee) you've got $1200 worth of phones for $900. But I don't know that you'd re-coop that in the aftermarket. Sorry for the digression :)

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Even after "studying" this for a few days, the thing that still confuses me is the second "section" of this page:
https://www.verizon.com/wcms/consumer/devices/edge.html

It reads:
A family of 4 shares 10GB of data
$40 per line
monthly access when you activate 4 lines.​

So is this a special deal where the 10GB of data is included somehow in the monthly rate? Or is this just clever wording, because the $40 is just the access charge, and the 10GB of data is still additional?

Goes back to the thread topic too, I guess. What do you mean "$160 for 4 smartphones with 10gb on edge"? Are you referring to the discounted monthly access + 10GB of data only (not including the edge, monthly fees)?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree on the pre-payment/deposit.

WITH the current monthly discount ($25/mo if you're on a 10GB or more data plan), you'd do better buying the phone via Edge. But if they discontinued that, and you were planning on staying for 2yrs (same as buying the phone via Edge), the $200-subsidized option is still a better value. And even with the discount, if you're on a 4, 6, or 8GB data plan, you would have to do the math (because the monthly discount is lower).

Technically and theoretically, if you buy a subsidized pair of M8's right now at $200, then cancel them @ $350 ea (early term fee) you've got $1200 worth of phones for $900. But I don't know that you'd re-coop that in the aftermarket. Sorry for the digression :)

On edge the advantage is at the 10GB tier or higher. Below that subsidized is likely cheaper due to only $10 reduction

Verizon Edge on 10gb plan with 4 lines
$2400($600 x 4 htc one m8 edge)
$3840($160 monthly x 24)
$6240Verizon total on Edge

Verizon subsidized on 10gb plan with 4 lines
$280(4 htc one bogo plus 30% off stacked promotional pricing)
$6240($260 monthly x 24)
$120(Upgrade fee for 4 lines)
$6640Verizon subsidized total

Verizon Edge on 8gb plan with 4 lines
$2400($600 x 4 htc one m8 edge)
$5040($210 monthly x 24)
$7440Verizon total on edge

Verizon subsidized on 8gb plan with 4 lines
$280(4 htc one bogo plus 30% off stacked promotional pricing)
$6000($250 monthly x 24)
$120(upgrade fees for 4 lines)
$6400Verizon subsidized total

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
2 years contract only.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
2 years contract only.

This would be obvious imo be use on a 10GB plan in Edge then M8 is free with the service credit anyway.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This would be obvious imo be use on a 10GB plan in Edge then M8 is free with the service credit anyway.

Sure if you are on MEP 10gb. But some of us are on legacy plans. Also if you are a single line on $250mb, then you are paying $55 . You can move to 10gb but you are now paying $115 on edge

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Sure if you are on MEP 10gb. But some of us are on legacy plans. Also if you are a single line on $250mb, then you are paying $55 . You can move to 10gb but you are now paying $115 on edge

Yes of course, but I thought we were only talking about the 10GB plans. Of course it doesn't make sense in every situation.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes of course, but I thought we were only talking about the 10GB plans. Of course it doesn't make sense in every situation.

I was but then someone brought up less than 10gb scenario.

devman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I will try and find out the answer to whether the discount falls off after the 24 months or not with Edge.

I had asked this question over at howardforums.com as well. The response I got was that once a line is no longer enrolled in the Edge program you no longer get the discount. There is some confusion about whether or not this occurs only after 24mo. or whenever the device is paid off.

Even so, its pretty lame that you finish paying off your device after 24mo only to have your bill hiked.

EDIT: Link: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1827321-Questions-about-Edge-discounts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs