My Verizon app wants camera permission

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not generally a tinfoil-hat paranoid, but I can't think of any reason why the My Verizon app would need camera permission. Does anybody have any idea what's going on with this latest update?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you take any sort of pictures with the app? For maybe paying your bill with a picture of a check or anything of that nature?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Can you take any sort of pictures with the app? For maybe paying your bill with a picture of a check or anything of that nature?

No, you can't. I am not sure why it needs that permission either

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
People were mentioning the My Verizon app also requesting root access (for those users with rooted devices). No one really knows why Verizon's asking for such odd permissions for what the app is...

Although taking a picture of a check I can understand, if it did that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
People were mentioning the My Verizon app also requesting root access (for those users with rooted devices). No one really knows why Verizon's asking for such odd permissions for what the app is...

Although taking a picture of a check I can understand, if it did that.

I saw that too. I would not give it root access. As for camera, you can use the old version which doesn't require camera access if it bothers you.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I saw that too. I would not give it root access. As for camera, you can use the old version which doesn't require camera access if it bothers you.

All of their apps bother me, so they are disabled haha

I couldn't believe Verizon put their messaging app as the default on the M8. That was just too much. HTC's messaging app sucks and all, but really?

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The My Verizon app is actually useful, especially if you don't have unlimited data. The widget is a convenient way to keep an eye on data usage for the current billing cycle.

For the time being, I'm not accepting the update. I really don't think Verizon is going to take spy pictures of me, but I honestly would like to know what they intend to do with camera permission before I give it the go-ahead.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
All of their apps bother me, so they are disabled haha

I couldn't believe Verizon put their messaging app as the default on the M8. That was just too much. HTC's messaging app sucks and all, but really?

It is more convenient than using their website, imo.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It is more convenient than using their website, imo.

It is, and the Data Widget is helpful for those that need to track it or are just curious about their usage.

I just don't need it since I don't use much data and am not responsible for paying the bill online. But I always recommended the Data Widget to new customers since they are usually the most worried about overages.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is, and the Data Widget is helpful for those that need to track it or are just curious about their usage.

I just don't need it since I don't use much data and am not responsible for paying the bill online. But I always recommended the Data Widget to new customers since they are usually the most worried about overages.

Well that's not good for the person paying.. If you accidentally go over one day their wallet may hurt for it :p.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Well that's not good for the person paying.. If you accidentally go over one day their wallet may hurt for it :p.

Haha, true. I do still have Verizon notifying everyone via text when data hits 90% usage though. But between the 3 smartphones on the plan, I don't think we've ever hit the 2GB mark... helps when your desk at work gets nearly unusable signal =P

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Haha, true. I do still have Verizon notifying everyone via text when data hits 90% usage though. But between the 3 smartphones on the plan, I don't think we've ever hit the 2GB mark... helps when your desk at work gets nearly unusable signal =P

Unusable on Verizon? That's rare :eek:.

If only my work had good wifi I wouldn't need unlimited data :(.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Unusable on Verizon? That's rare :eek:.

If only my work had good wifi I wouldn't need unlimited data :(.

Yeah kind of like in the middle of a huge building, with a shop floor near by... I think there's just too much interference.

We have Wi-Fi but that's only for the higher ups to use on their laptops to access the company's network drives.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Looks like they added info to explain why it's asking for camera permissions: (excerpt below from the Play Store description: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.vzw.hss.myverizon&token=npwu8F8p)

3. Scan & pay for accessories using your mobile device in participating stores*
4. Scan your check to pay your bill using My Verizon Mobile*
* Device camera permissions are used for these enhanced application features

As to asking for root access, not sure why it would need that. Can't be to check if you're rooted? Thought Verizon could already see that when you access their network. Regardless, I'd deny it root access and see if it works normally otherwise. My thinking is, no point in giving something root access if you don't know why it would need it or why it's asking for it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that. Apps really should explain in detail all the permissions it needs.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Looks like they added info to explain why it's asking for camera permissions: (excerpt below from the Play Store description: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.vzw.hss.myverizon&token=2QOag-Vo)

3. Scan & pay for accessories using your mobile device in participating stores*
4. Scan your check to pay your bill using My Verizon Mobile*
* Device camera permissions are used for these enhanced application features

As to asking for root access, not sure why it would need that. Can't be to check if you're rooted? Thought Verizon could already see that when you access their network. Regardless, I'd deny it root access and see if it works normally otherwise. My thinking is, no point in giving something root access if you don't know why it would need it or why it's asking for it.

Yep. That's what I figured.. They were adding the paying of your bill by check. Not a bad idea for check paying customers! :).

May 23, 2014
Visit site
You don't need to be a tin foil hat to acknowledge that Verizon is the NSA's snoop - along with most other providers. Google+ app wants access to your microphone to record audio without your confirmation. Why would it want that? For the same reason. Big government is a plague to us all. Just say NO to the app(s)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith