While this doesn't affect me because I am on T-Mobile I found it interesting and a very good business practice:
    In largest consumer telecommunications refund in history. Verizon Wireless said Sunday it will pay up to $90 million in refunds to some 15 million subscribers who were charged for data usage or Internet access, though they werent on data usage plans. The company will credit current customers who were billed for bogus data sessions between $2 and $6 each on their October and November bills. And it will cut checks in the same amounts to former customers.

Heres the statement from Verizon Wireless Deputy General Counsel Mary Coyne:
    Verizon Wireless values our customer relationships and we always want to do the right thing for our customers.

In October and November, we are notifying about 15 million customers, through their regular bill messages, that we are applying credits to their accounts due to mistaken past data charges. We will mail former customers refund checks. In most cases, these credits are in the $2 to $6 range; some will receive larger credits or refunds.

As we reviewed customer accounts, we discovered that over the past several years approximately 15 million customers who did not have data plans were billed for data sessions on their phones that they did not initiate. These customers would normally have been billed at the standard rate of $1.99 per megabyte for any data they chose to access from their phones. The majority of the data sessions involved minor data exchanges caused by software built into their phones; others involved accessing the web, which should not have incurred charges. We have addressed these issues to avoid unintended data charges in the future.
    10-03-2010 08:08 PM
    Verizon has been stealing money from customers for years. I can't wait to drop them and switch to another carrier.
    10-04-2010 10:05 AM
    If you just got a Droidx.. you made the wrong choice if you wanted to leave.
    10-04-2010 04:15 PM
    This means little without forcing Verizon (or any and all carriers) to offer data blocking services upfront at POS, or allowing customers to remove all software from their phones that can access data services.

Score:
    Big Business - 1
    Consumer - 0
    Lawyers - over 9000
    10-04-2010 04:19 PM
    Pretty much @gbhil

The real problem is that the keys on the device are mapped with 2 shortcuts to the web on even simple flip phones. What they should do is have you set these buttons to what you want during the "setup wizard" that runs after activating the phone.

Also, with a lot of people getting the phones online/at big box stores, I highly doubt they're given any instruction on their devices, let alone having any offers to help remove those unwanted features.

The main retailer near here offers to block data/premium SMS on all new basic lines and I know quite a few corporate reps that do the same.
    10-04-2010 06:43 PM
    Verizon has been stealing money from customers for years. I can't wait to drop them and switch to another carrier.
    I don't understand how someone can say that their carrier has been stealing from customers for years, used that service for years, have just bought a new phone on that carrier less than 3 months ago, knowing the company steals and say he can't wait to go to TMo. If I felt that way I would have kept my Storm until my contract ran out by the end of 2010 and gone to TMo before buying an X and extending my contract for 2 more years.
    10-07-2010 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD