Need new phone, Edge screwing me over

jschnyderite

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone in sept/oct 2012. Edge didn't exist then, and if im correct, you could upgrade after 20 months on a 2 yr contract.

Fast forward to now - 19+ months later my camera on my phone stops working. I wouldn't care so much, but i leave for my honeymoon in a week and have my first vegas trip this august (and would like to not have to lug around a huge camera).

Anywho, I brought my phone to apple and Verizon..both think its a hardware issue. Verizon offered me the edge program -- give them my phone which is probably still worth $100 bucks, and in exchange they will let me rent a phone.

I haven't read any fine print on them changing their policies, but do you think I'd have any luck throwing a fit that they changed my upgrade policy after I bought my phone and signed the contract? Any other ways to get around this pickle im in?

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I got my phone in sept/oct 2012. Edge didn't exist then, and if im correct, you could upgrade after 20 months on a 2 yr contract.

Fast forward to now - 19+ months later my camera on my phone stops working. I wouldn't care so much, but i leave for my honeymoon in a week and have my first vegas trip this august (and would like to not have to lug around a huge camera).

Anywho, I brought my phone to apple and Verizon..both think its a hardware issue. Verizon offered me the edge program -- give them my phone which is probably still worth $100 bucks, and in exchange they will let me rent a phone.

I haven't read any fine print on them changing their policies, but do you think I'd have any luck throwing a fit that they changed my upgrade policy after I bought my phone and signed the contract? Any other ways to get around this pickle im in?
I can't remember off the top of my head the exact date, but I do believe prior to Sept 2012, the carriers changed the upgrade eligibility to 24 months instead of 20 / 22 months. EDIT: Nevermind, looks like it was 2013, so you're correct.

I mean, you could press the issue about the upgrade date, but it's hard to get them to give you an early upgrade in general. Your best option, IMO, would be to pick up a used device online. Without knowing your current plan details, it's hard to say if EDGE would be of any benefit, but I'm leaning towards 'no'.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you have extended warranty? If so then it should be covered under that with no deductible. If not then you are out of luck. The change to 24 months took place sometime last year. You can try to talk to them, and see if they will push the upgrade, but major ymmv.

As for edge, unless you are on a current more everything plan on a 10GB or higher plan, then edge doesn't make much sense.

Also edge isn't a rental program. It is a device payment plan with an option to upgrade early, but requires 50% payment and trade in.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree with dpham00 edge is a payment plan to get people to keep upgrading I doubt this is what you really want to do I mean you can do this and it just spreads out your cost so you do not pay as much up front but if you don't plan to upgrade like that I also say go the eBay route

Posted via Android Central App

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
As said above Verizon almost never will push upgrade dates up they'll just tell you to wait or sign up for edge if you cannot wait.

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Don't you have to be eligible for an upgrade to enroll in edge anyway? That's what I was told back in august when I had a phone customer service manager roll back my wife's and my eligibility date (from Feb 2014 to Aug 2013)

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Lol, some people just rush into stuff without reading the contract then whine like a lil "B" when they don't get their way.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't you have to be eligible for an upgrade to enroll in edge anyway? That's what I was told back in august when I had a phone customer service manager roll back my wife's and my eligibility date (from Feb 2014 to Aug 2013)

No they allow you to enroll within a certain amount of time before the contract ends.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

There is an open enrollment which started a few months ago:

" What is Early Edge Open Enrollment?

Early Edge Open Enrollment is a limited-time option to participate in the Verizon Edge program. You can get your choice of the latest smartphone sooner than you would under a traditional 2-yr contract.

If you?ve had your current phone since 11/13/13, you may be eligible to purchase a 4G LTE smartphone through the Verizon Edge program. You?ll pay for your phone in monthly payments.

To be eligible for Early Edge, you must meet all the following:
Be eligible for Verizon Edge
Have had your phone since 11/13/13 or longer
Return your phone in good working condition*

The Early Edge Open Enrollment option will be available 2/13/14 - 6/30/14.

Note: You must return the phone that was on your line at the time you placed your Verizon Edge order, and it must be returned to Verizon Wireless within 14 days of receiving your new phone. If you do not, you may be charged a non-return fee of up to $200."

jschnyderite

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
@rickbell -- it seems YOU didn't read my post...there was no such thing as edge when i signed my contract, and the upgrade eligibility date policy changed AFTER i signed as well..

regarding the rest of you...thanks for your posts. i may opt for edge since it seems like phones conveniently stop working a few months before my contract ends. i don't necessarily need to have the latest phon every year, but 1.5 years is probably my zone, and with upgrades on 2yr contracts being 24 months now, it no longer suits me very well.

im going to see if i can put an older phone on my line before signing up so i can sell my iphone and recoup some of the costs.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That would be the way to go, if you qualify

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
@rickbell -- it seems YOU didn't read my post...there was no such thing as edge when i signed my contract, and the upgrade eligibility date policy changed AFTER i signed as well..

regarding the rest of you...thanks for your posts. i may opt for edge since it seems like phones conveniently stop working a few months before my contract ends. i don't necessarily need to have the latest phon every year, but 1.5 years is probably my zone, and with upgrades on 2yr contracts being 24 months now, it no longer suits me very well.

im going to see if i can put an older phone on my line before signing up so i can sell my iphone and recoup some of the costs.

If you are doing early edge I would leave your iPhone on, otherwise it may disqualify you from it. I believe to do it it has to be the original device that had been upgraded, or an approved replacement device (aka insurance or warranty) in the line. Also remember if you Edge up remember you have to trade in your phone and it has to be in good condition if you do it earlier than two years.

My friend tried swapping to an older phone so he could sell his current one before he did the early edge, and it disqualified him. Thankfully he had not sold it and was able to put it back in the line.

Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5