Is going off of unlimited to edge worth it?

loki993

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Im currently on an unlimited plan that was a hidden plan quite some time ago. Basically its 60 bucks a month for 450 minutes unlimited data and text.This puts me in a position because any other plan on verizon is a bit more, plus the unlimited. I was in a store and they offered me the max plan, which is another "secret" plan for unlimited users. Its the same price, plus I can go to the edge program..stay off contact, get a new phone and be able to upgrade every year...or keep the phone if I want. does this make sense or an I missing something?

I don't use a ton of data on my plan but at least some of that is because my current phone chews through battery if I do anything on it for more than a few minutes and frankly the surfing experience on it is less then stellar. I feel this will improve with a newer phone, so Ill use more data..though I don't know if Ill even get close to 6 gigs, but you never know.

Any ideas? am I missing some big catch? do I get any discounts for the edge with that program because I know they are doing some for people going to edge now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What phone do you have now and what has your data usage been like over the last year?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just beware that once off unlimited, you can not get it back.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator

loki993

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
What phone do you have now and what has your data usage been like over the last year?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

I have the HTC Rezound...Ive never really found a keyboard that works well for it and the battery life is well...horrible. I dont usually use over 3 gigs and over the past few months its went down sharply because the bad battery life on my phone has gotten significantly worse over the past few months.

Just beware that once off unlimited, you can not get it back.

I understand that that's why I want to make sure this is worth it. The thing is eventually they will probably just take it away I think or at least force everyone off of it and when they do that there will be no deals to be had.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Edge plan is a joke. You pay $30/month and after the phone is half paid off, you can upgrade. Then you also have to give the phone back. Its like leasing. If the phone is damaged, your screwed. And let's say you don't upgrade every year but every two years, 30/month is $720 over that period of time.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

loki993

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Edge plan is a joke. You pay $30/month and after the phone is half paid off, you can upgrade. Then you also have to give the phone back. Its like leasing. If the phone is damaged, your screwed. And let's say you don't upgrade every year but every two years, 30/month is $720 over that period of time.

Just an example the S5 is 25 dollars a month...do the math and that comes out to 600..just about the price of the phone outright. Yes after a year you have to give the phone back but theoretically you could keep it for the 2 and get the phone. I believe you can also pay it off early and keep it too.

loki993

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I understand that...but there comes a point where it just becomes keeping it out of principal alone. yes its nice to have...but paying full price for a phone just to keep it and not using the data seems like a waste....though I suppose with edge your still paying full price for a phone just over more time. The advantage with that is it gives you an easy method to trade your phone up for a new model and a guarantee that you can in a year. Dont have to deal with swappa or craigslist or however people sell their phones.

It is an interesting dilemma....

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I understand that...but there comes a point where it just becomes keeping it out of principal alone. yes its nice to have...but paying full price for a phone just to keep it and not using the data seems like a waste....though I suppose with edge your still paying full price for a phone just over more time. The advantage with that is it gives you an easy method to trade your phone up for a new model and a guarantee that you can in a year. Dont have to deal with swappa or craigslist or however people sell their phones.

It is an interesting dilemma....

There are ways to get upgrades at subsidized price and keep your unlimited data. Method I'm familiar with involves transferring upgrades. There is also the Best Buy method others have described in these forums.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just an example the S5 is 25 dollars a month...do the math and that comes out to 600..just about the price of the phone outright. Yes after a year you have to give the phone back but theoretically you could keep it for the 2 and get the phone. I believe you can also pay it off early and keep it too.

You do not have to give the phone back after a year. If you choose you can pay the balance in full and keep the phone.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Not really leasing, if you lease a car for a three year term, after 3 years you have to return to car or pay a huge balloon payment to keep the car.

On Verizon edge, after the 2 year agreement, the phone is yours outright. No additional payment required. So it is a device payment plan. You do have to option of upgrading early and either trading in the phone or paying the balance of the phone.

If the phone is damaged and you want to upgrade at one year then you have the option of either paying the phone off or paying deductible for insurance, if you opted for it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally wouldn't. With edge you will eventually pay for the phone at full price.. Just split up.. So if you can afford it I'd just do it all up front and keep unlimited.

Even though you don't use a lot now that could change since more apps are becoming data hungry.

Just my opinion though.. Keep it since you can't get it anymore :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

loki993

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Ive though about it and I think it basically chalks up like this......Im giving up unlimited to basically save 20 or 25 bucks a month. when I think about it that way its not worth it. I can also lay down some cash on the phone Im buying and spread the balance out over the year, I think.... So with that I think Ill keep unlimited. The only thing that left is to possibility that Verizon will just talk it away at some point and force us all onto 2 gig plans. Honestly I think thats a slim possibility..Ive been with Verizon for some time now and as far as I know they have never just took a plan away. Can they? sure will they probably not.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You either pay full price up front or full price after two years. You lose unlimited data with edge. Its up to you if you want to want to lose unlimited data. You could get credit cards with zero interest for 6 months and split it up that way too. I just use too much data to go to a 6 GB plan.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
So do you just have one phone with grandfathered unlimited data with and available upgrade and no other phones on the account?

Posted via Android Central App

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Regarding UL data, I had it for years and used it to tether as I had no home internet. Well, I got tired of paying upwards of $600 every time I wanted a new phone. I was able to get home internet, I got the max plan, a new subsidized phone and have yet to go over 2gigs/month. I was pretty surprised to see how low my usage of data was not having to tether. I don't even have WiFi enabled unless I'm downloading something big.
As the OP mentioned keeping UL just to keep it is nonsensical unless your actually using it. Seems its becoming something of a trophy item or for a lot of people who don't even utilize it. Kind of like that Terabyte club thread floating around here somewhere. Use a T-byte of Verizon data just because you can? Geez....! WTF does that prove other than you have no life.
The EDGE plan sounds like kind of a rip off, but I'm happy with a new phone and the max plan . YMMV of course.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20