GNex screen cracked, must keep unlimited, best Verizon option?

mjhillman06

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Looking for some advice. I've had my Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon since release day: December 15, 2011. Once Verizon stopped releasing OS updates for the GN, I unlocked and rooted and have happily used the Shiny ROM ever since.

Yesterday, cracks appeared and spread across my screen. It's time for a new device. But I have some limitations:

- I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. I've been averaging 5 to 7 GB per month, so it is essential that I keep this plan. I am willing to pay full retail for a device to do so.
- I do not necessarily need to be able to unlock and root my device at this time, meaning the Samsung Galaxy S5 is not immediately eliminated. However:
- I use the SwitchPro WiFi Tether workaround daily. I anticipate this will not work on an S5 or any other current flagship device that has not been at least unlocked.

Given these parameters, what do you all think is my best option? Thanks in advance.

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I know this sounds crazy.. but I thought I saw a guy selling a GNex in the marketplace lol. I bet you've already hit up that thread. Unless you just want a newer phone in that case, still look into the marketplace. I got a NIB/Never activated DROID RAZR MAXX back in the day. There's some really good stuff in that subforum.

mjhillman06

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! I figure if I'm getting a new device anyway, I'd like to go to the best phone out there, which I think it's fair to say is no longer the GNex. Ideally, I'd like a Nexus 5, but that obviously can't happen on Verizon. So I'm thinking SGS5, HTC1 M8, Droid Maxx are probably the only options on the table... is that right?

th3b3

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
LG G2 is free right now or pay for the upgrade for S5, M8 or note 3. purchase through bestbuy.com have it shipped to your house and use your old SIM. You must cut the sim to fit so you will need a sim cutter off ebay. You will be able to keep your UDP if you follow those steps. If you wanted a Nexus 5 I dont see how getting the free G2 would be any different. Thats what I did. A free G2 is the same as a S5 or M8 in my opinion. Did I mention it was free? I had to pay a $1.06 but its basically free lol. What would you get for $200 from a S5 or M8 over a G2? Better to pocket the cash and sell the G2 and get the "newest" phone in the fall or something. The battery is insane on the G2.

mjhillman06

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but the G2 through Best Buy is $1 only with a 2-year contract. When I add it to my cart, I can choose "Replace my device" and the price changes to $599.99, or I can choose "Upgrade my device" and I get the message:

There's a change from Verizon Wireless for unlimited data plans. Verizon Wireless has ended this plan option, so when you upgrade you'll be switched to their most common 2GB plan by default.

mjhillman06

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting. I've gotten all the way to checkout and it seems to be working fine with an HTC One M8 in the cart for $199.99. Assuming I can Wifi Tether with that device (and other threads seem to suggest it's possible with FoxFi), that'll be perfect.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc