Recommendations, please?

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
My wife is due an upgrade this week. She is turned off by the mega-screens most of the high-end android phones are using now. Wants something that'll fit her hand better (not technically, but think somewhere in the 4-4.5" range).

She also isn't a "power user" (or gamer), but I'd like her to have something current and "snappy" so there's no complaints about performance.

Besides the question of whether I put her on the Edge plan, does anyone have a particular phone they would recommend I (she) look at???

Thanks,
AJ

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
My wife is due an upgrade this week. She is turned off by the mega-screens most of the high-end android phones are using now. Wants something that'll fit her hand better (not technically, but think somewhere in the 4-4.5" range).

She also isn't a "power user" (or gamer), but I'd like her to have something current and "snappy" so there's no complaints about performance.

Besides the question of whether I put her on the Edge plan, does anyone have a particular phone they would recommend I (she) look at???

Thanks,
AJ

You should take a look at the Moto X . It has a 4.7 inch screen, which may seem big, but it is about the 'sweet spot' for many people. It has a very nice in-hand feel.

It is $350 bought outright, or free with a two year contract on Verizon. $20 a month on EDGE.

The UI is pretty close to Vanilla Android, and the specs are good.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I switched to a Moto X a few months ago and love it. Believe it or not, she thinks it's "big".

Thus my problem. I can't think of anything smaller that still has even halfway decent specs (again, doesn't have to be setting benchmark records, but needs to NOT be "slow").

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I switched to a Moto X a few months ago and love it. Believe it or not, she thinks it's "big".

Thus my problem. I can't think of anything smaller that still has even halfway decent specs (again, doesn't have to be setting benchmark records, but needs to NOT be "slow").

Wow! That sure does make this much harder!

Most flagship Android phones these days have at least a 4.7 inch screen. But you could always look at the Moto G with LTE. It is a lot like the Moto X, but the specs aren't as good. It isn't exactly slow, though. It has a 4.5 inch screen, not that much smaller than the Moto X.

What is her current phone?

Edit: There is also the Droid Mini. It has a 4.3 inch screen. It is also made by Motorola and has almost the same specs as the Moto X.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
She isn't exactly "easy to please". ;)

She has a Droid Razr and even that she thinks is a little big. Before that she had a LG Lucid (the original), which I think was 4.0" and she thought was "right size".

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
She isn't exactly "easy to please". ;)

She has a Droid Razr and even that she thinks is a little big. Before that she had a LG Lucid (the original), which I think was 4.0" and she thought was "right size".

If that is the case, you would probably have to go the iPhone route. There aren't any modern Android phones with a 4 inch screen, at least not one that I can think of. The Droid Mini is probably your best bet for a small phone with good specs. The screen is only .3 inches bigger.

The Droid Razr is actually bigger than the Droid Mini, measurements wise.

Droid Razr: 5.15 x 2.71 x 0.28 inches (130.7 x 68.9 x 7.1 mm).
Droid Mini: 4.77 x 2.41 x 0.35 inches (121.25 x 61.3 x 8.9 mm).
LG Lucid: 4.69 x 2.45 x 0.45 inches (119.1 x 62.2 x 11.4 mm). I think this is the original LG Lucid.

Last edited:

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
If that is the case, you would probably have to go the iPhone route.

I think, deep down, that's what she wants. But I told her flat-out, "If you get an iPhone, I will not support it. If you have any issues whatsoever, you can head back to the VZ store or find a 'genius bar' or something else, because your phone is dead to me." ;)

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the Galaxy S4 Mini as mentioned above. Not a powerhouse but I used one for a couple months and it wasnt slow or laggy. If you can wait a little bit the Galaxy S5 Mini should do the trick for her really well. Not entirely sure about a release date on that but it should be here soon.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
She liked both the S4 Mini and the Droid Mini. I think she's going to get the Droid as it's a little more recent product, and I'm familiar with the current Moto-Kitkat so it'll be easier for me to help her.

Thank you all for your input!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87