Wifi without sevice

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I need to drastically cut my monthly expenses. I have a note 3 on edge program with means I don't have a contact. If I switch my service to a simple phone service, will I be able to use the Wi-Fi on my note 3?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You can use an Android without a plan to use as a wifi device. However, I am not sure Verizon will allow a smartphone to not have a data plan attached to it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can use wifi on the note 3 with no service, however, a smartphone requires a data plan. Verizon will not let you remove the data plan with a smartphone active on the line. You can put on a basic phone, and use the basic phone without a data plan if desired.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
My plan is to go back to a basic phone (that was hard to say) and use my note 3 as wifi device

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Payoff the phone, or your plans won't work.

Posted via Android Central App

Is this related to edge? Because I have contract phones that I get smartphones and then put basic phones on to remove data plan. No issues

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the edge program. 11 months into it. I need to drop my monthly expenses for a few months. I figured that I could eliminate the data plan by switching to a basic phone. I'm still going to ma k e payments on my phone but at least I'm saving 40 per month.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe that it would be possible to do what you are saying. Call Verizon to verify.