Network Optimization: Throttling unlimited data LTE users (October 2014)

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

Good point. I am not sure then. But still I will probably get something before October 1st, provided that the original link is still up, print it out and keep it as backup, and the Verizon terms of service at the time do not explicitly state otherwise. If Verizon throttles me and refuses to budge , I will make a stink about it, file a notice of dispute and arbitrate if necessary, file a dispute with the state attorney general, and with the bbb. I would be willing to bet that they would give me unlimited, at least for the duration of the minimum contract term.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I would hope Verizon would instead of throttling? Up the price for the UDP
Say 5-10 dollars a month more and keep it the way it is now. All you can eat

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

I would hope Verizon would instead of throttling? Up the price for the UDP
Say 5-10 dollars a month more and keep it the way it is now. All you can eat

Doubt they'd do this at all. They want people off unlimited.. They're trying to force everyone to the limited plans to increase profits.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Doubt they'd do this at all. They want people off unlimited.. They're trying to force everyone to the limited plans to increase profits.

Then Verizon should just end UDP all together.
. It would make all subscribers go to tiered plans. And the fcc would just have to leave Verizon alone..

The more I think about it? The more pressure the fcc puts on Verizon?
It might just backfire I current UDP subscribers

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Then Verizon should just end UDP all together.
. It would make all subscribers go to tiered plans. And the fcc would just have to leave Verizon alone..

The more I think about it? The more pressure the fcc puts on Verizon?
It might just backfire I current UDP subscribers

Who knows? Usually they want to nudge... They do that and throttle... And hang the limited unthrottled plan.. Most will switch and not know better... But telling a customer straight up that we're taking this from you? Bad for business.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

In order to see reduced speeds, you have to be a customer that meets all of the criteria below (again, ALL of the criteria):

Top 5% of data users (you use 4.7GB of data per month or more)
Enrolled on an unlimited data plan or feature
Have fulfilled their minimum contract term ;)
Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand

Agreed....there is toooooooo much panic that "VZW is gonna shut us all down and it ain't fair" since the numbers of VZW customers who will meet all the criteria to be throttled is a tiny sliver of users.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

For some people, that's actually a possibility. Close to it anyway. If you live near a congested tower and rely on that one tower for most of your data, then I could see you being affected a fair bit. What I'm wondering about is the throttling of the subsequent billing cycle. When your cycle rests, are they going to unthrottle you up to the 4.7 GB again, or throttle you from day one of the cycle?

The VZW press release indicated the throttling would be WHILE the tower is congested AND the data hog was doing a data-intensive app (like streaming HD video from Netflix). That means if the tower utilization drops the throttling drops...or if the video streaming stops during the congestion the throttling stops...or if the if the data hog moves to another tower the throttling stops

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Good point. I am not sure then. But still I will probably get something before October 1st, provided that the original link is still up, print it out and keep it as backup, and the Verizon terms of service at the time do not explicitly state otherwise. If Verizon throttles me and refuses to budge , I will make a stink about it, file a notice of dispute and arbitrate if necessary, file a dispute with the state attorney general, and with the bbb. I would be willing to bet that they would give me unlimited, at least for the duration of the minimum contract term.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Does anybody have a link? I'd like to make a copy of it.

Posted via Android Central App

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

I still think it's bull****. By throttling just myself, it's not going to make a difference on a congested tower.

Posted via Galaxy S5

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Verizon keeps changing their page, now no where does it mention the bit where they said they would only throttle those who have completed their contract. If any one has a screen shot or a link to the older version I'd greatly appreciate it.

Posted via Android Central App

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: LTE Throttling Starts October 2014

That is just crazy 4.7 gigs.. My 6 month average is 33 gigs.. With my UDP when they start to throttle I will still keep doing what I normally do. I pay for unlimited data and use it as such.

I stream a lot of music and movies watch news on my phone.

I'm pretty sure with the throttled data rate you will be doing none of those things after you reach 4.7 gb.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I still think it's bull****. By throttling just myself, it's not going to make a difference on a congested tower.

Posted via Galaxy S5
Hopefully, if your throttled? The speeds are not that bad?

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

Hopefully, if your throttled? The speeds are not that bad?

I hope. I got rid of att because I couldn't even use my data when throttled.

Posted via Galaxy S5

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
"Data hog". Right.

Texting only! Don't dare use the Internet after we sold it to you. Don't dare use it after we charge you a "Smartphone fee". How entitled do you think you are using your Smartphone? Be happy being able to make phone calls! You get dropped calls? Quit yer bitchin'!

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I pay $20/month and use upwards of 50gigs a month. Should I be throttled? I pay full price for phones and am out of contract. I signed up for unlimited data. Not throttled data. There should be a class action lawsuit percolating around here somewhere.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I pay $20/month and use upwards of 50gigs a month. Should I be throttled? I pay full price for phones and am out of contract. I signed up for unlimited data. Not throttled data. There should be a class action lawsuit percolating around here somewhere.

Technically it is still unlimited even if throttled. You're still able to use as much data as you want.. Just not at the best speeds (if throttled). No carrier or home ISP guarantees their speeds. Comcast or whatever may sell you 50 Mbps but their terms always say those aren't guaranteed.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Technically it is still unlimited even if throttled. You're still able to use as much data as you want.. Just not at the best speeds (if throttled). No carrier or home ISP guarantees their speeds. Comcast or whatever may sell you 50 Mbps but their terms always say those aren't guaranteed.

This. If they advertised unlimited high speed data, then maybe you could do something about it. But then they'd have another way to get around that loophole :p

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

This.

Except Comcast always exceeds my 105 Mbps and gives me 120+Mbps. No provider guarantees speeds which is the key.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

openwheelracing

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

Well we went with Verizon unlimited everything knowing the rules in the 700mhz spectrum. Verizon would not be Verizon today if they didn't get the spectrum and part of the deal was to give customers more freedom. Now Verizon thinks they may have found some loophole in order to single out unlimited data power users and throttle them with ambiguous circumstances.

Let's face it, they make more money from a unlimited data user who only uses 4.7gb than anyone on tier data plan. No subsidized phone just pure profit every month. Of course they don't want to throttle those folks. They want those who actually watch Game of Throne on the road. Those bastards how dare they use wireless data that way, they should only check emails and facebook.

Verizon wants a fight and I am ready. I may lose but I will go down fighting. In the mean time I will still make $370 auto payments every month....wait sounds like I am being screwed here....