What happens if you use an upgrade but sell the phone and never activate the phone on your account?

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I know I have read about people doing this - using an upgrade to get a subsidized phone, not activating the phone on their account and then selling it as new.

I have read somewhere (I think on this forum) that if someone does that they will have a pending activation that stays on the line but that it eventually goes away.

What are the implications of this? IIRC, one of the implications is that you can't put a different phone on the line until the pending activation goes away.

What about the contract date and upgrade date for the line? Do those reset when you use the upgrade and stay that way regardless of whether or not you activate the phone on your account?

If you upgraded a basic line, chose a data plan but never activated the new subsidized smartphone on the basic line but rather kept the basic phone on the line, did the data plan ever get put on the basic line?

If anyone has upgraded and then sold the phone without activating it on their account, please post and tell me what happened. Thanks!

Last edited:

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I know I have read about people doing this - using an upgrade to get a subsidized phone, not activating the phone on their account and then selling it as new.

I have read somewhere (I think on this forum) that if someone does that they will have a pending activation that stays on the line but that it eventually goes away.

What are the implications of this? IIRC, one of the implications is that you can't put a different phone on the line until the pending activation goes away.

What about the contract date and upgrade date for the line? Do those reset when you use the upgrade and stay that way regardless of whether or not you activate the phone on your account?

If you upgraded a basic line, chose a data plan but never activated the new subsidized smartphone on the basic line but rather kept the basic phone on the line, did the data plan ever get put on the basic line?

If anyone has upgraded and then sold the phone without activating it on their account, please post and tell me what happened. Thanks!

When I've done this in the past about 2 years ago the activation just fell off and plan never went into effect. If this is do you could still get around the new policy of requiring data to stay on dumb phone just never activate the phone on that line and put it on your UDP.

Posted via Android Central App

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
When I've done this in the past about 2 years ago the activation just fell off and plan never went into effect. If this is do you could still get around the new policy of requiring data to stay on dumb phone just never activate the phone on that line and put it on your UDP.
that is what I am hoping, but my guess is that Verizon will fix this loophole if not by 8/24/14, then at some later point.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49