Which network is voLTE on?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, looked quickly and saw the any platform. There are no Verizon phones that don't have the cdma components right now. They have said VoLTE only phones will be released is 2016.

There are phones, such as the iPhone, that have verizon LTE bands and a disabled cdma component.

I am hoping once Verizon goes to VoLTE only phones we will be able to use any device on their network like any of the current GSM carriers.

I am sure they will probably not "activate" a device not sold by them. I hopeful if we have an active sim we would be able to use the phone.

We will most likely have to wait until 2016 to get the answers.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Well currently devices authenticate the LTE component through your SIM, but voice is still done with the device IMEI, and they maintain that whitelist. Putting your SIM in a phone currently triggers CDMA activation as well, like *228 did before.

Given that VoLTE is all LTE, it's certainly possible that they could authenticate just through the SIM and allow voice to work, just depends on how they decide to implement it.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
On a somewhat related note, is band 4 "open" too? Since LTE is closer to GSM than CDMA, I'm not sure if Verizon blocks out devices from accessing band 4. They probably won't activate a device solely based on b4 availability, but let's say you get activated based on b13 "open access" rules...will b4 be available to you?

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
It looks like currently... USING VOLTE will require both caller and receiver to have an LTE signal.. Calls will be over LTE bands, but still count from your minutes pool, and Video Calls will count as data..

2015 LTE Only devices will start coming out... however That wont happen yet because right now... You cannot call another Carrier via VOLTE.. It will initiate as a CDMA call! by 2021.. all phones will be LTE ONLY and 3G/CDMA and 1X Networks will be converted to LTE

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2598860/for-verizon-volte-means-video-calls-hd-voice-and-alaska.html
First step in a long process
All the major U.S. carriers are expected to use the same standard for VoLTE and work together to make sure customers can make VoLTE calls to their friends who use other service providers. But the migration will take several years. T-Mobile offers nationwide VoLTE and AT&T hhas introduced VoLTE in parts of its coverage areas. Sprint offers HD Voice service today over 3G, but hasn’t said when it will introduce VoLTE.

Even at Verizon, the technology will be rolled out in several steps.

First, Verizon needs to make VoLTE work on the phones that its own subscribers are already using. Last week, the company demonstrated the new feature on an LG G2 smartphone and said it will also be available on several smartphones around launch time, but it wouldn’t name those devices. The first batch of phones will graduate to VoLTE through over-the-air software upgrades, and their owners will get to choose whether to activate VoLTE.

Starting in 2016, Verizon expects to start shipping some phones that rely solely on LTE for voice calling. Over time, the carrier will fill in its 3G-only areas with LTE coverage until the last 3G cells are turned off, but that won’t be until at least 2020, the company says. By then, all the handsets it sells should be VoLTE-only.

In Alaska, Verizon’s getting a head start on LTE-only service. It’s selling mobile voice service for the first time in the state thanks to the VoLTE launch. Verizon turned on an LTE network and launched data services in the most populated areas of Alaska last year. It won’t build a 3G network there at all, instead relying on roaming partners for additional coverage.

In time, Verizon also hopes to add more IP-based services, such as text chatting and file transfers. There’s a whole portfolio of standard communications technologies, called RCS (Rich Communications Services), that might help carriers offer alternatives to features already delivered by so-called over-the-top Internet providers such as Google and Skype. The advertised advantage of RCS, and of Verizon’s new VoLTE voice and video calls is that they are more tightly integrated with the carrier’s network and user interface.

However, RCS appears to be an over-engineered response to services from Internet companies that already had a long head start, Tolaga’s Marshall said. “I don’t see them competing at the bleeding edge, by a long shot,” he said.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I believe so. The fcc rules apply to b13 only. So if anything, it could work on b13 only and not b4,but not the other way around.

I just thought about this a little more. On other carriers--let's use the examples of AT&T and TMO--if your phone is unlocked, you can use either carrier's LTE networks, provided your phone has the bands and there's no baseband locking in place. On CDMA carriers, there's that extra barrier of ESN approval, but if you get around that, i.e. on Verizon via b13, who's to say the band 4 network is not available?

This would be quite easy to test with a device like the cellular Nexus 7 in markets where there's double coverage.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just thought about this a little more. On other carriers--let's use the examples of AT&T and TMO--if your phone is unlocked, you can use either carrier's LTE networks, provided your phone has the bands and there's no baseband locking in place. On CDMA carriers, there's that extra barrier of ESN approval, but if you get around that, i.e. on Verizon via b13, who's to say the band 4 network is not available?

This would be quite easy to test with a device like the cellular Nexus 7 in markets where there's double coverage.

I believe that it should work. But this is Verizon, who knows they might find a way to block b4.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1