Which network is voLTE on?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Verizon does not have VoLTE rolled out at the moment, but it will be running on the same band as whatever they have deployed in your city/area.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So that means both the b4 and b13 networks?
Yes. All it is, is that the voice will now run on their LTE bands instead of CDMA (Or whatever they had before :p). If it's Band 4 in one city it will run on that, whereas it can run on Band 13 in another city.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I wonder what this means in terms of voLTE availability to phones that may have only band 13 ( and no Verizon CDMA bands.) Does "open access" mean "open access to network and any technologies that may leverage this network?"

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I wonder what this means in terms of voLTE availability to phones that may have only band 13 ( and no Verizon CDMA bands.) Does "open access" mean "open access to network and any technologies that may leverage this network?"

Do any of the current phones only run on one of those bands though?
I know Verizon was holding back on releasing devices that were LTE only because of that as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Do any of the current phones only run on one of those bands though?
I know Verizon was holding back on releasing devices that were LTE only because of that as well.

A variant of the BlackBerry Passport just passed through the FCC, packing LTE bands 4 and 13 but no Verizon CDMA bands: BlackBerry Passport passes through the FCC | CrackBerry.com

That's really why I asked. "Open access" rules would mandate Verizon to allow this device on their b13 network, but does that mean Verizon has to allow b13 voLTE too--provided both callers are in voLTE markets? As it stands right now, TMO--who is under no "open access" obligations, does not allow voLTE on unsanctioned, network-compatible devices.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I wonder what this means in terms of voLTE availability to phones that may have only band 13
Probably about the same as it meant to analog phones - time to get a newer phone. They may give you a decent trade-in allowance if you're upgrading because your phone doesn't work in your city (and legally you can leave with no ETF, since they're no longer providing you with service you can use), but I don't think they're going to worry too much about it. (But "decent" to you may not be "decent" to them. They offered only $50 for the S60 (if I remember the model number correctly) - a phone that sold for much more than that before they scrapped their PTT plans. Which is why I still have both of mine, for whatever they're worth.)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Why? Such phones would not be obsolete by any means. Think of a cellular Nexus 7, but as a phone (i.e. therefore able to leverage voLTE.)

They wouldn't :)
You'd need a new device only if you would want the VoLTE feature

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
On TMO, you basically need two things for voLTE: IMS, and IMEI whitelisting (i.e. TMO's permission to use voLTE.) If Verizon's implementation is also IMS based and the phone is capable--does "open access" usage on b13 extend to IMEI whitelisting for voLTE?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes. All it is, is that the voice will now run on their LTE bands instead of CDMA (Or whatever they had before :p). If it's Band 4 in one city it will run on that, whereas it can run on Band 13 in another city.

Band 13 is deployed everywhere. Certain towers were updated to support xlte, but I don't believe that there are any xlte only towers (no b13).

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
On TMO, you basically need two things for voLTE: IMS, and IMEI whitelisting (i.e. TMO's permission to use voLTE.) If Verizon's implementation is also IMS based and the phone is capable--does "open access" usage on b13 extend to IMEI whitelisting for voLTE?

You would have to ask Verizon. But my guess would be that they would allow any compatible device, Verizon branded or not.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Band 13 is deployed everywhere. Certain towers were updated to support xlte, but I don't believe that there are any xlte only towers (no b13).

What's your take on this? Will b13-only phones be able to do voLTE? By b13-only I mean phones/IMEIs/ESNs that are not on the magical approved list, so their only "in" is b13?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
You would have to ask Verizon. But my guess would be that they would allow any compatible device, Verizon branded or not.

Yeah, I guess we'll all find out. Given that voLTE is barely in testing right now, I can't imagine this has come up yet.

Off the top of your head, are you aware of any phones (on any platform) that have b13 but don't have Verizon appropriate CDMA?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What's your take on this? Will b13-only phones be able to do voLTE? By b13-only I mean phones/IMEIs/ESNs that are not on the magical approved list, so their only "in" is b13?

I believe so. The fcc rules apply to b13 only. So if anything, it could work on b13 only and not b4,but not the other way around.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I guess we'll all find out. Given that voLTE is barely in testing right now, I can't imagine this has come up yet.

Off the top of your head, are you aware of any phones (on any platform) that have b13 but don't have Verizon appropriate CDMA?

Don't know of any. Verizon probably is probably doing their best to dissuade manufacturers from making it.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Iphone on AT&T. The cdma component is disabled.

The Nexus 7 has LTE but no cdma component.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678