How to get recent Droid discounts *and* join an existing family plan

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I read this site in conjunction with Boy Genius, so I see the discounts that come through. However, my situation doesn't quite fit whom they have listed as eligible for these discounts.

Here is my situation:

My husband and daughter are currently on a VZW family plan. I am on TMO and my contract is up soon. I plan on joining the family plan. I was going to wait until February, but some of the recent discounts coming through sound too good to pass up.

Verizon is offering some kind of "add a line to an existing family plan" discount where they are offering to credit 9.99 a month for the full term of the contract.

Amazon also came out with a 1 cent offer on most of the popular Droid handsets. When I went over there, there was not a way to select that I am a new customer who wants to join an existing plan. I also have heard that Amazon has additional requirements they pile on top of these offers.

So there does not seem to be a way to get the discount for my situation. I have seen other offers here as well, though again, my situation is not represented.

Does anyone know a way around this? I would rather not have to pay 199 for a 3G phone when LTE handsets are probably just around the corner. If I am not eligible now, then I might as well wait until February and get the rumored HTC Merge that has taken on mythic proportions.

Any help is appreciated.

Elizabeth

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You're trying to get the best of all worlds and give nothing up, it's not really going to work.

The Smartphone's talk free promotion:
First things first, to get the Promotional "Smartphones talk free" plan, you need to sign a 2 year contract with unlimited data. This means that whatever device you choose, you're going to have it for a Minimum of 20 months unless you pay full retail for a replacement. So this means 20 months until you get a 4g phone, and paying 199 for a phone now is a great deal because you'll save $240 over the life of the contract.

If you sign up for an existing family plan, when you add a smartphone line to it, the credit will pop up for the rep to select. Any smartphone activated between now and Jan7th is eligible.

Amazon:
I have no idea what system amazon has to process sales, so they may not get the credit unless you manually select something or not. They use a custom program to hook into all major carriers.

LTE
Unless you're in a launch market, I wouldn't wait to get an LTE handset. We have no idea what the pricing will be, but we can assume that the plans will be more expensive, and that 4g handsets will require 4g plans no matter where you live.

If you ARE in a launch market, remember that you most likely won't see LTE devices shipping until march or so, but if you want to be an early adopter, it's cheaper for you to wait (since you'd have to buy LTE device full retail anyway, and as soon as you activate it you'll likely lose your credit as well)

So it comes down to this: If you're in a launch market for LTE, and you want to be an early adopter no matter what: Wait until LTE plans are announced (sometime early next year) and pick up an LTE device. I won't be the Merge, as I've USED a merge and it doesn't have LTE. I can also buy merge accessories right now without issue. Unless Verizon is intentionally trying to piss off all of their partners, the merge will not have LTE.

If you're someone who wants to get the best deal possible on your device and service, get a phone now (assuming your ETF is low enough) and then upgrade to a 2nd or 3rd generation LTE handset in 2012, when most of the country will be covered by LTE.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

I can't have my cake and eat it too :)

I will check the ETF for TMO and cancel at the last possible moment to still get the credit for an added line to a family plan.

I like the Droid X, but the HTC Incredible is another very nice phone.

I don't live in a rural area, but Boston is likely to get the LTE upgrade before the rest of the state does and it will definitely not extend out this far.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the ETF is 50 bucks as I have less than 90 days left on my contract. I actually have been happy with TMO for the most part, but it's cheaper to join the VZW family plan than stay on TMO.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I can upgrade at any time and my area is going to be one of the first to get LTE, I'm holding out til at least spring tho :)

Sent Using TaPaTaLk