Will Verizon charge VoLTE usage towards you data plan?

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
In doing some VOLTE researching from a previous thread regarding Verizon VOLTE. From what I have been reading about it so far, what I am getting is... That if Verizon doesn't charge or in better terms., having VOLTE(advanced calling) usage counting towards your data usage ?
It would go against some net neutrality rule? Meaning, Verizon has to in some way charge or make it count towards your data allotment for VOLTE usage to stay with in the net neutrality rules.

Is that why you have to add this feature to your "my Verizon account" ? If you have a UDP? You should be safe I assume of data charges of any type while using this feature.Does anyone know how Verizon will be implementing charges of this advanced calling feature?

Especially, for users with tiered or shared plans, this could be costly. As, the estimate for HD calling is 6-8 MB a minutes. Thats is about 1 GB of data per 120 minutes of HD calls, not to mention if you use VOLTE for a HD video call it might be even more per minute?.

Per phonearena:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Veri...-aka-VoLTE-HD-voice-and-video-calling_id60729

"The number one issue that needs an answer is whether or not the data usage from VoLTE will count against your cap. This is a thorny issue, because counting against the cap could add up quickly, and Verizon charges a lot for data. But, if it doesn't count towards your cap, it raises Net Neutrality issues."

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 via the Coconut Wireless

archangel849

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I asked a Verizon rep that question, and was told that only the video call portion would go against the data, but not the voice calling. But if you talk to several reps, you usually get a different answer each time.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The video calls are billed against data. It is estimated that they use the 6-8 megabytes per minute. Voice calls are against your data plan.

"Advanced Calling 1.0 service is available at no additional charge.

HD Voice is included in existing plans. HD Voice calls are billed as standard voice calls according to your plan. No data charges apply.

A video call is an HD Voice call combined with real-time video. The voice portion is billed as a standard voice call, according to your plan. The video portion is billed as data, according to your data plan. No data charges apply to video calls transmitted over Wi-Fi.

Note: An average 1-minute video call uses about 6 - 8 MB of data. The actual data consumption of your video call may vary. You can estimate your data usage using our online Data Usage Calculator."

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
There not going to charge you because if everybody uses it they can then move on from their legacy 2g and eventually 3g networks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When I used volte it did go through my minute allotment

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
VoLTE has been stated to use your voice minutes on Verizon.

A video call is what uses minutes and data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678