can I avoid the $30/month data fee by upgrading flip phone to smartphone using BestBuy method?

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a family share plan. Primary line is still on unlimited data, so changing to a newer plan isn't an option.

Line 2 is a simple flip phone and it will become upgrade eligible in 11 days. If I upgrade line 2 to a smartphone, I assume I will be forced to pay $30/month for 2gb of data for 24 months.

Is there a way to get around that? For example, can I upgrade by ordering a smartphone from BestBuy.com using line 2's upgrade, but never activate the smartphone? (throw out the SIM card upon receipt and only use that smartphone as a wifi-only device... and just continue to use the old flip phone)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this will work but I'll see if I can get someone in here who may know.

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes you can. This is discussed in the sticky

Unlimited Data FAQ for Upgrades and New Lines - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

I read the sticky several times prior to posting my question. The sticky is about keeping unlimited data plan.

My situation is a little different. I have no unlimited data line to keep on that basic phone line.

I just want to know if I upgrade that basic phone line by itself, will that line be billed $30 per month for 2gb of data.
(even if I never turn on the new smartphone and make sure to throw away the new SIM card)

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I read the sticky several times prior to posting my question. The sticky is about keeping unlimited data plan.

My situation is a little different. I have no unlimited data line to keep on that basic phone line.

I just want to know if I upgrade that basic phone line by itself, will that line be billed $30 per month for 2gb of data.
(even if I never turn on the new smartphone and make sure to throw away the new SIM card)

I think you missed his point as the sticky does explain this (indirectly). There is no difference between moving an upgrade from an unlimited to a basic line or having an upgrade already on the basic. If you upgrade the basic to a smartphone, but never activate the smartphone on that line, you'll avoid the $30 data charge.

Just upgrade the basic to a smartphone. When it comes in, remove the SIM before either turning it on or charging it. Then you can do whatever you want with the new smartphone including using it on line 1 or selling it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance