Should I cancel unused extra dumbphone line or keep it for upgrade to smartphone to avoid $30 data?

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a family share plan. The primary line is still under contract until end of 2016.

There is also a dumbphone line with no data plan on it. The contract on this line
ended as of today.(Feb 6, 2014) Two years ago, I used this line to get an upgrade
to a smartphone, which was put on another line. Since then, the dumbphone was
never turned on. All I had to pay was the $9.99 + taxes/fees for this extra line.

What If I keep it and use it for upgrade to another smartphone? I'll probably
do the Best Buy method. I will upgrade via Best Buy's website, have it shipped
to my home, throw out the SIM card and eventually put the smartphone on
one of my other lines. The dumbphone will continue to be active. Since I will
throw out SIM card, I will avoid the mandatory $30 a month data plan for 24 month.
(and continue to pay the $9.99 + taxes/fees each months for the next 24 months)

If I cancel this line, it will simply be cancelled and I will no longer see the
$9.99 + taxes/fees each month. Am I correct in assuming that if I add another line
to my account get a smartphone at discounted pricing, there will be no way to get
around the $30 data plan for 24 months, even if I use the Best Buy method?

Any advice appreciated!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can use the loophole to upgrade the line.

For a new line of service, you will have to start month to month on the line with an existing phone, then as soon as the line is activated, you can upgrade it using the method above

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
You can use the loophole to upgrade the line.

For a new line of service, you will have to start month to month on the line with an existing phone, then as soon as the line is activated, you can upgrade it using the method above

That's what I did a few years ago. However, I spoke with Verizon yesterday(prior to starting this thread) and was told that they no longer allow it. Even if I have my own phone(smart or dumb), I have to agree to a 2-year contract to add it as a new line to my family share account.... can't be added as a month to month. The supervisor said I can only add it as a month-to-month if I switch out of my family share plan(with one line on unlimited data) to a current MoreEverything plan. :(

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I say just get rid of it and buy your phones out right. You can get them cheap used. Do not give up their limited data that is my opinion. I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide I had never had the unlimited data but I hate to worry about going over. With these bills as high as they are I feel like I should be able to use my phone as however much I want to but I want to. The good ol days of the rising $30 a mnuth internet or is long gone. I would say keep it at all costs. If I had it they would have to kill me to take it away after they give discounts if you choose to go to a different plan however.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's what I did a few years ago. However, I spoke with Verizon yesterday(prior to starting this thread) and was told that they no longer allow it. Even if I have my own phone(smart or dumb), I have to agree to a 2-year contract to add it as a new line to my family share account.... can't be added as a month to month. The supervisor said I can only add it as a month-to-month if I switch out of my family share plan(with one line on unlimited data) to a current MoreEverything plan. :(
Interesting. I was able to add a month to month line a few years ago. Maybe they changed it. I would personally just try to do it online. It would tell you if there was a 2 year contract requirement and you can just close the page at that time