10-31-2016 10:51 AM
46 12
tools
    I have just received two conflicting answers from Big Red CSRs....yeah like that is a surprise...but has anyone tried to put a mobile hot spot on their phone who has the grandfathered unlimited data plan? One CSR told me I could a mobile hot spot for $20 and keep unlimited data, while another just told me that adding a hot spot would AUTOMATICALLY change my data plan back to a minimum of 2gb.

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in between, but you can never trust anything a VZW CSR tells you. I prefer to deal with them by chat, so that I can print out a transcript at the end of each one for future reference.
    03-14-2015 12:25 PM
    The first one is accurate; you would need to add the mobile hot spot plan.
    shortwave8669 likes this.
    03-14-2015 12:32 PM
    I have the option to add mobile hotspot. It is $30. I do not expect to lose unlimited if I used it. I just use Foxfi on my phone.

VZW Mobile Hotspot for Those With Unlimited Data-uploadfromtaptalk1426356933627.jpg
    03-14-2015 01:16 PM
    Mr. Toad, did you pull this screenshot off your VZW account page or from your phone? I want to print the same thing out from my account to take into the VZW store when I upgrade to my new phone next month.
    03-14-2015 01:47 PM
    I have UDP and added the mobile hotspot feature a couple of months ago when foxfi kept acting up on me. It had no effect on my plan. However, to add it I had to use the Verizon app on my phone from the screen Mr. Toad posted. Tried going through Verizon online, but it kept telling me I would have to change my plan if I wanted to change any features.

I would not suggest talking to a rep as they are notorious for messing up people's UDP. Just add it from your phone.
    03-14-2015 02:28 PM
    Mr. Toad, did you pull this screenshot off your VZW account page or from your phone? I want to print the same thing out from my account to take into the VZW store when I upgrade to my new phone next month.
    It is from the app. Why are you involving the store? You can add this feature directly from the app. You have to be really careful with unlimited data anytime you go to the store. Most reps believe anything you do will make you loose unlimited data. Some will actively take it away.

How are you getting the new phone? Full retail or a loophole?

shortwave8669 likes this.
    03-14-2015 02:45 PM
    Mr. Toad is correct. You can add and remove the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot at any time provided that you currently have unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE data plan.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    03-14-2015 06:22 PM
    Yeah, I also heard its pro-rated by day, so if you turn it on, use it a few days, then turn it off, you only get charged like 1 buck a day or something?
    03-15-2015 12:33 AM
    Yeah, I also heard its pro-rated by day, so if you turn it on, use it a few days, then turn it off, you only get charged like 1 buck a day or something?
    Correct. When you enable it, you can select to have it effective today. Then when disabling it, have it effective the day you disable it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    03-15-2015 08:24 AM
    This is correct, but the last time I did it, it took 2 months for the bills to get evened out. I was charged for the time I used and the next month. It then got refunded on the bill after that.
    03-15-2015 08:41 AM
    Does anyone know if this still works? I can't find the add hotspot feature when checking with VZW online so wondering if anyone has done this in the last 30 days or so.
    08-18-2015 11:07 AM
    Does anyone know if this still works? I can't find the add hotspot feature when checking with VZW online so wondering if anyone has done this in the last 30 days or so.
    Still there.

In your account, go to that line. Features > Data Hotspot.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Aquila and comanche88 like this.
    08-18-2015 11:23 AM
    Okay I see has to be done from mobile app.
    08-18-2015 12:40 PM
    Can definitely be added
    08-18-2015 07:48 PM
    Okay I see has to be done from mobile app.
    Pretty sure you can do it from the website too.

08-18-2015 09:10 PM

Hotspot is included on fixed data plans.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-18-2015 09:13 PM
    Hotspot is included on fixed data plans.

Posted via the Android Central App
    This thread is about the additional hotspot/tethering feature for those on the legacy unlimited data plan.

08-18-2015 09:48 PM
    Also beware that VZ computers knocked my wife off UD when she called CS to end her hot spot. I caught it the next day.
    So always use the app, never use CS if possible.
    Aquila likes this.
    08-19-2015 01:10 AM
    Also beware that VZ computers knocked my wife off UD when she called CS to end her hot spot. I caught it the next day.
    I always try to avoid talking to csr... They can muck up your account.
    08-19-2015 10:30 AM
    Since you caught it were you able to get the UD restored?
    08-19-2015 10:30 AM
    Since you caught it were you able to get the UD restored?
    Yes, but I was told that there is only a two week window for corrections.
    comanche88 likes this.
    08-21-2015 03:16 AM
    I always try to avoid talking to csr... They can muck up your account.
    Can't agree with you more. I sleep very well at night knowing that Verizon CSRs are not in charge at NORAD. If they were, one phone call and they can accidentally trigger a nuclear war with China after one phone call to order take-out from the nearest Chinese restaurant.
    08-21-2015 05:02 AM

You can. The app is just easier to navigate

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T
    08-21-2015 07:19 AM
    Hi everyone. Brand new member here and I, like everyone else here, am so nervous talking to Verizon CSR that I avoid them at all costs. I have the unlimited data plan on my Droid. If I activate the hotspot feature myself through the app, will I be charged for using data past 3GB? I live out in the country and there is no other internet connection here other than Verizon 4G LTE. So I want to use it for my computer, tablet, etc. I was told by someone that Verizon only allows you to use 3GB per billing period for like $20 a month. Well 3GB won't even come close to what I need. I have read the replies here but still am uncertain about being able to fully utilize the entire unlimited data without incurring additional per GB charges beyond a certain amount. Can anyone verify for me? Thanks!
    08-21-2015 02:09 PM
    Hi everyone. Brand new member here and I, like everyone else here, am so nervous talking to Verizon CSR that I avoid them at all costs. I have the unlimited data plan on my Droid. If I activate the hotspot feature myself through the app, will I be charged for using data past 3GB? I live out in the country and there is no other internet connection here other than Verizon 4G LTE. So I want to use it for my computer, tablet, etc. I was told by someone that Verizon only allows you to use 3GB per billing period for like $20 a month. Well 3GB won't even come close to what I need. I have read the replies here but still am uncertain about being able to fully utilize the entire unlimited data without incurring additional per GB charges beyond a certain amount. Can anyone verify for me? Thanks!
    If you have a legacy unlimited data plan, the only hotspot plan you should see without changing your phone's unlimited data plan is the unlimited hotspot plan for $30. Essentially for $59.99 ($29.99 for the phone's unlimited data plan and $30 for the unlimited hotspot), you're free to use tethering as much as you want. There is no limit.
    08-21-2015 02:57 PM
46 12